MPK6, sphinganine and the LCB2a gene from serine palmitoyltransferase are required in the signaling pathway that mediates cell death induced by long chain bases in Arabidopsis
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 4, pages 943–957, September 2011
How to Cite
Saucedo-García, M., Guevara-García, A., González-Solís, A., Cruz-García, F., Vázquez-Santana, S., Markham, J. E., Lozano-Rosas, M. G., Dietrich, C. R., Ramos-Vega, M., Cahoon, E. B. and Gavilanes-Ruíz, M. (2011), MPK6, sphinganine and the LCB2a gene from serine palmitoyltransferase are required in the signaling pathway that mediates cell death induced by long chain bases in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 191: 943–957. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03727.x
- Issue online: 11 AUG 2011
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2011
- Received: 7 February 2011, Accepted: 14 March 2011
- 2000. Fumonisin B1-induced cell death in Arabidopsis protoplasts requires jasmonate-, ethylene-, and salicylate-dependent signaling pathways. Plant Cell 12: 1823–1836. , , , , , , .
- 2002. MAP kinase signalling cascade in Arabidopsis innate immunity. Nature 415: 977–983. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. MAP kinase phosphatase 1 and protein tyrosine phosphatase 1 are repressors of salicylic acid synthesis and SNC1-mediated responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 2884–2897. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Mitogen-activated protein kinases 3 and 6 are required for full priming of stress responses in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 21: 944–953. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Knockout of Arabidopsis ACCELERATED-CELL-DEATH11 encoding a sphingosine transfer protein causes activation of programmed cell death and defense. Genes and Development 16: 490–502. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Mutational evidence that Arabidopsis MAP kinase MPK6 is involved in anther, inflorescence, and embryo development. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 2181–2191. , .
- 2009. Plant sphingolipids: structure, synthesis and function. In: WadaH, MurataN, eds. Lipids in photosynthesis: essential and regulatory functions. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Springer, 77–115. , , , , .
- 2006. The essential nature of sphingolipids in plants as revealed by the functional identification and characterization of the Arabidopsis LCB1 subunit of serine palmitoyltransferase. Plant Cell 18: 3576–3593. , , , , .
- 2008. Sphingolipid long-chain base hydroxylation is important for growth and regulation of sphingolipid content and composition in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 20: 1862–1878. , , , , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis MAPKs: a complex signaling network involved in multiple biological processes. Biochemical Journal 413: 217–226. , .
- 2003. Sphingolipid signalling in Arabidopsis guard cell involves heterotrimeric G proteins. Nature 423: 651–654. , , , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis sphingosine kinase and the effects of phytosphingosine-1-phosphate on stomatal aperture. Plant Physiology 137: 724–737. , , , , , .
- 2001. Hairpin induces activation of the Arabidopsis mitogen-activated protein kinases AtMPK4 and AtMPK6. Plant Physiology 126: 1579–1587. , , , , .
- 2008. Loss-of-function mutations and inducible RNAi suppression of Arabidopsis LCB2 genes reveal the critical role of sphingolipids in gametophytic and sporophytic cell viability. Plant Journal 54: 284–298. , , , , , .
- 2002. Mutations in the yeast LCB1 and LCB2 genes, including those corresponding to the hereditary sensory neuropathy type I mutations, dominantly inactivate serine palmitoyltransferase. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 10194–10200. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Programmed cell death: a way of life for plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 93: 12094–12097. .
- 2007. Guard cell-specific inhibition of Arabidopsis MPK3 expression causes abnormal stomatal responses to abscisic acid and hydrogen peroxide. New Phytologist 17: 713–721. , , .
- 2008. Principles of bioactive lipid signalling: lessons from sphingolipids. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 9: 139–150. , .
- 2009. The SPTLC3 subunit of serine-palmitoyltransferase generates short chain sphingoid bases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 284: 26322–26330. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Vacuolar processing enzyme is essential for mycotoxin-induced cell death in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 32914–32920. , , , , , .
- 2010. Nuclear calcium controls the apoptotic-like cell death induced by d-erythro-sphinganine in tobacco cells. Cell Calcium 47: 92–100. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. H2O2 from the oxidative burst orchestrates the plant hypersensitive disease resistance response. Cell 79: 583–593. , , , .
- 2003. Ceramides modulate programmed cell death in plants. Genes and Development 17: 2636–2661. , , , , , .
- 2005. A sphingolipid elicitor-inducible mitogen-activated protein kinase is regulated by the small GTPase OsRac1 and heterotrimeric G-protein in rice. Plant Physiology 138: 1644–1652. , , , , , .
- 2005. Signalling functions for sphingolipid long-chain bases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemical Society Transactions 33: 1170–1173. , , , , .
- 2007. Chloroplast-generated reactive oxygen species are involved in hypersensitive response-like cell death mediated by a mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade. Plant Journal 51: 941–954. , , , , , .
- 2005. Autophagy regulates programmed cell death during the plant innate immune response. Cell 121: 567–577. , , , , , .
- 2004. Phosphorylation of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid synthase by MPK6, a stress-responsive mitogen-activated protein kinase, induces ethylene biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 3386–3399. , .
- 2005. SphK1 and SphK2, sphingosine kinase isoenzymes with opposing functions in sphingolipid metabolism. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 37118–37129. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Rapid measurement of sphingolipids from Arabidopsis thaliana by reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography coupled to electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 21: 1304–1314. , .
- 2006. Separation and identification of major plant sphingolipid classes from leaves. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 22684–22694. , , , .
- 2004. Silencing of the mitogen-activated protein kinase MPK6 compromises disease resistance in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 16: 897–907. , , , .
- 2001. Sphingolipid metabolism: roles in signal transduction and disruption by fumonisins. Environmental Health Perspectives 109: 283–289. , , , , .
- 2009. Functional characterization of a higher plant sphingolipid Δ4-desaturase: defining the role of sphingosine and sphingosine-1-phosphate in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 149: 487–498. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Cell death in seedlings of the interspecific hybrid of Nicotiana gossei and N. tabacum; possible role of knob-like bodies formed on tonoplast in vacuolar-collapse-mediated cell death. Plant Cell Reports 26: 407–419. , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis MPK6 is involved in cell division plane control during early root development, and localizes to the pre-prophase band, phragmoplast, trans-Golgi network and plasma membrane. Plant Journal 61: 234–248. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Accumulation of chlorophyll catabolites photosensitizes the hypersensitive response elicited by Pseudomonas syringae in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 188: 161–174. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Drought-induced guard cell signal transduction involves sphingosine-1-phosphate. Nature 410: 596–599. , , , , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis putative G protein-coupled receptor GCR1 interacts with the G protein α subunit GPA1 and regulates abscisic acid signaling. Plant Cell 16: 1616–1632. , .
- 2009. Plant sphingolipids: decoding the enigma of the sphinx. New Phytologist 185: 611–630. , , .
- 2010. Pseudomonas syringae infection triggers de novo synthesis of phytosphingosine from sphinganine in Arabidopsis thaliana. Federation of Biochemical Societies Letters 584: 4053–4056. , , , .
- 1999. Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase by fumonisin B(1) stimulates cPLA(2) phosphorylation, the arachidonic acid cascade and cAMP production. Carcinogenesis 20: 1683–1688. , , , , , , .
- 2009. A major role of the MEKK1–MKK1/2–MPK4 pathway in ROS signaling. Molecular Plant 2: 120–137. , , , .
- 2009. MAPK target networks in Arabidopsis thaliana revealed using functional protein microarrays. Genes and Development 23: 80–92. , , , , , , .
- 2008. A fungal-responsive MAPK cascade regulates phytoalexin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 5638–5643. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Activation of Ntf4, a tobacco mitogen-activated protein kinase, during plant defense response and its involvement in hypersensitive response-like cell death. Plant Physiology 141: 1482–1493. , , , , .
- 2002. Cell death mediated by MAPK is associated with hydrogen peroxide production in Arabidopsis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 559–565. , , .
- 2001. Guard cell abscisic acid signalling and engineering drought hardiness in plants. Nature 410: 327–330. , , .
- 2007. Involvement of sphingoid bases in mediating reactive oxygen intermediate production and programmed cell death in Arabidopsis. Cell Research 17: 1030–1040. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Simulation of fungal-mediated cell death by fumonisin B1 and selection of fumonisin B1-resistant (fbr) Arabidopsis mutants. Plant Cell 12: 1811–1822. , , , .
- 2009. Serine palmitoyltransferase, the first step enzyme in sphingolipid biosynthesis, is involved in nonhost resistance. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 22: 31–38. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Quantitative nature of Arabidopsis responses during compatible and incompatible interactions with the bacterial pathogen Pseudomonas syringae. Plant Cell 15: 317–330. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Ceramides induce programmed cell death in Arabidopsis cells in a calcium-dependent manner. Biological Chemistry 386: 161–166. , , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis mutants lacking long chain base phosphate lyase are fumonisin-sensitive and accumulate trihydroxy-18:1 long chain base phosphate. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 28195–28206. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Tracheary element differentiation. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 407–433. , , .
- 2002. Distinct regulation of salinity and genotoxic stress responses by Arabidopsis MAP kinase phosphatase 1. European Molecular Biology Organization Journal 21: 6483–6493. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Mitogen-activated protein kinase phosphatase is required for genotoxic stress relief in Arabidopsis. Genes and Development 15: 699–709. , , , , .
- 2007. Mechanical stress induces biotic and abiotic stress responses via a novel cis-element. PLoS Genetics 3: 1800–1812. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Inhibition of sphingolipid biosynthesis by fumonisins. Journal of Biological Chemistry 266: 14486–14490. , , , , .
- 2007. Stomatal development and patterning are regulated by environmentally responsive mitogen-activated protein kinases in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 63–73. , , , , .
- 2008. An inositolphosphorylceramide synthase is involved in regulation of plant programmed cell death associated with defense in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 20: 3163–3179. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Lipid signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 329–336. .
- 1996. Activation of mitogen-activated protein kinase by the carcinogenic mycotoxin fumonisin B1. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 227: 622–627. , , .
- 2008. Involvement of sphingosine kinase in plant cell signaling. Plant Journal 56: 64–72. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. hrp genes of Erwinia chrysanthemi 3937 are important virulence factors. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 472–480. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis ACCELERATED CELL DEATH2 modulates programmed cell death. Plant Cell 18: 397–411. , .
- 1998. Activation of the tobacco SIP kinase by both a cell wall-derived carbohydrate elicitor and purified proteinaceous elicitins from Phytophthora spp. Plant Cell 10: 435–450. , , .
- 2000. Multiple levels of tobacco WIPK activation during the induction of cell death by fungal elicitins. Plant Journal 23: 339–347. , , .
- 2009. Phospholipase Dα1 and phosphatidic acid regulate NADPH oxidase activity and production of reactive oxygen species in ABA-mediated stomatal closure in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 2357–2377. , , , , , , , , , .