The sucrose-regulated Arabidopsis transcription factor bZIP11 reprograms metabolism and regulates trehalose metabolism
Article first published online: 27 APR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 3, pages 733–745, August 2011
How to Cite
Ma, J., Hanssen, M., Lundgren, K., Hernández, L., Delatte, T., Ehlert, A., Liu, C.-M., Schluepmann, H., Dröge-Laser, W., Moritz, T., Smeekens, S. and Hanson, J. (2011), The sucrose-regulated Arabidopsis transcription factor bZIP11 reprograms metabolism and regulates trehalose metabolism. New Phytologist, 191: 733–745. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03735.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 27 APR 2011
- Received: 7 February 2011, Accepted: 20 March 2011
- 2009. A pivotal role of the basic leucine zipper transcription factor bZIP53 in the regulation of Arabidopsis seed maturation gene expression based on heterodimerization and protein complex formation. Plant Cell 21: 1747–1761. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A central integrator of transcription networks in plant stress and energy signalling. Nature 448: 938–942. , , , .
- 2005. Sugars and circadian regulation make major contributions to the global regulation of diurnal gene expression in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 3257–3281. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Determination of trehalose-6-phosphate in Arabidopsis seedlings by successive extractions followed by anion exchange chromatography-mass spectrometry. Analytical Biochemistry 389: 12–17. , , , , , .
- 2004. Arabidopsis TREHALOSE-6-PHOSPHATE SYNTHASE 1 is essential for normal vegetative growth and transition to flowering. Plant Physiology 135: 969–977. , , .
- 2002. TREHALOSE-6-PHOSPHATE SYNTHASE 1, which catalyses the first step in trehalose synthesis, is essential for Arabidopsis embryo maturation. Plant Journal 29: 225–235. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Two-hybrid protein-protein interaction analysis in Arabidopsis protoplasts: establishment of a heterodimerization map of group C and group S bZIP transcription factors. Plant Journal 46: 890–900. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Myoinositol oxygenase controls the level of myoinositol in Arabidopsis, but does not increase ascorbic acid. Plant Physiology 149: 1042–1049. , .
- 2007. The Arabidopsis thaliana trehalase is a plasma membrane-bound enzyme with extracellular activity. FEBS Letters 581: 4010–4016. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Integration of metabolite with transcript and enzyme activity profiling during diurnal cycles in Arabidopsis rosettes. Genome Biology 7: R76. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Delayed embryo development in the Arabidopsis trehalose-6-phosphate synthase1 mutant is associated with altered cell wall structure, decreased cell division and starch accumulation. Plant Journal 46: 69–84. , , , , .
- 2010. AtTPS1 mediated trehalose-6-phosphate synthesis is essential for embryogenic and vegetative growth and responsiveness to ABA in germinating seeds and stomatal guard cells. Plant Journal 64: 1–13. , , , , .
- 2004. Design of experiments: an efficient strategy to identify factors influencing extraction and derivatization of Arabidopsis thaliana samples in metabolomic studies with gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Analytical Biochemistry 331: 283–295. , , , , .
- 2009. Snf1-related protein kinases (SnRKs) act within an intricate network that links metabolic and stress signalling in plants. Biochemical Journal 419: 247–259. , .
- 2008. The sucrose regulated transcription factor bZIP11 affects amino acid metabolism by regulating the expression of ASPARAGINE SYNTHETASE1 and PROLINE DEHYDROGENASE2. Plant Journal 53: 935–949. , , , , .
- 2009. Sugar perception and signaling – an update. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 562–567. , .
- 2000. Oscillation and regulation of proline content by P5CS and ProDH gene expressions in the light/dark cycles in Arabidopsis thaliana L. Plant and Cell Physiology 41: 1096–1101. , , , .
- 2009. Sucrose-mediated translational control. Annals of Botany 104: 1–7. , , , .
- 2002. bZIP transcription factors in Arabidopsis. Trends in Plant Science 7: 106–111. , , , , , , .
- 2005. High-throughput data analysis for detecting and identifying differences between samples in GC/MS-based metabolomic analyses. Analytical Chemistry 77: 5635–5642. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis bZIP1 transcription factor is involved in sugar signaling, protein networking, and DNA binding. Molecular Plant 3: 361–373. , , , , .
- 2005. The inositol oxygenase gene family of Arabidopsis is involved in the biosynthesis of nucleotide sugar precursors for cell-wall matrix polysaccharides. Planta 221: 243–254. , , , , , .
- 2004. Salicylic acid glucoside acts as a slow inducer of oxidative burst in tobacco suspension culture. Zeitschrift für Naturforschung. C 59: 684–692. , , , .
- 2001. An unexpected plethora of trehalose biosynthesis genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Trends in Plant Science 6: 510–513. , , .
- 2006. Sugar-induced increases in trehalose 6-phosphate are correlated with redox activation of ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase and higher rates of starch synthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana. Biochemical Journal 397: 139–148. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. NAD(H)-dependent glutamate dehydrogenase is essential for the survival of Arabidopsis thaliana during dark-induced carbon starvation. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 667–680. , .
- 2001. Trehalose and trehalase in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 125: 1086–1093. , , , , .
- 2008. Galactinol and raffinose constitute a novel function to protect plants from oxidative damage. Plant Physiology 147: 1251–1263. , , .
- 2010. Modeling the global effect of the basic-leucine zipper transcription factor 1 (bZIP1) on nitrogen and light regulation in Arabidopsis. BMC Systems Biology 4: 111. , , , , .
- 2008. Trehalose 6-phosphate: a signal of sucrose status. Biochemical Journal 412: e1–e2. .
- 2008. Trehalose metabolism and signaling. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 417–441. , , , .
- 1995. The homeobox gene ATH1 of Arabidopsis is derepressed in the photomorphogenic mutants cop1 and det1. Plant Cell 7: 117–129. , , , , .
- 2009. Sucrose control of translation mediated by an upstream open reading frame-encoded peptide. Plant Physiology 150: 1356–1367. , , , , , .
- 2009. Extensive expression regulation and lack of heterologous enzymatic activity of the Group II trehalose metabolism proteins from Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1015–1032. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Sucrose-specific signalling represses translation of the Arabidopsis ATB2 bZIP transcription factor gene. Plant Journal 15: 253–263. , , , , , , .
- 2005. GC-MS libraries for the rapid identification of metabolites in complex biological samples. FEBS Letters 579: 1332–1337. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Trehalose 6-phosphate is indispensable for carbohydrate utilization and growth in Arabidopsis thaliana. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 6849–6854. , , , , .
- 2004. Trehalose mediated growth inhibition of Arabidopsis seedlings is due to trehalose-6-phosphate accumulation. Plant Physiology 135: 879–890. , , , , , .
- 2010. Sugar signals and molecular networks controlling plant growth. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 274–279. , , , .
- 2000. Allocation of raffinose family oligosaccharides to transport and storage pools in Ajuga reptans: the roles of two distinct galactinol synthases. Plant Journal 21: 249–258. , .
- 2004. MAPMAN: a user-driven tool to display genomics data sets onto diagrams of metabolic pathways and other biological processes. Plant Journal 37: 914–939. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. A single active Trehalose-6-P Synthase (TPS) and a family of putative regulatory TPS-like proteins in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant 3: 406–419. , , , , .
- 2006. Combinatorial control of Arabidopsis proline dehydrogenase transcription by specific heterodimerisation of bZIP transcription factors. EMBO Journal 25: 3133–3143. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Expression patterns within the Arabidopsis C/S1 bZIP transcription factor network: availability of heterodimerization partners controls gene expression during stress response and development. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 107–119. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Sucrose-induced translational repression of plant bZIP-type transcription factors. Biochemical Society Transactions 33: 272–275. , , , .
- 2009. Inhibition of SNF1-related protein kinase1 activity and regulation of metabolic pathways by trehalose-6-phosphate. Plant Physiology 149: 1860–1871. , , , , , , , , , .