Rice A20/AN1 zinc-finger containing stress-associated proteins (SAP1/11) and a receptor-like cytoplasmic kinase (OsRLCK253) interact via A20 zinc-finger and confer abiotic stress tolerance in transgenic Arabidopsis plants
Article first published online: 28 APR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 3, pages 721–732, August 2011
How to Cite
Giri, J., Vij, S., Dansana, P. K. and Tyagi, A. K. (2011), Rice A20/AN1 zinc-finger containing stress-associated proteins (SAP1/11) and a receptor-like cytoplasmic kinase (OsRLCK253) interact via A20 zinc-finger and confer abiotic stress tolerance in transgenic Arabidopsis plants. New Phytologist, 191: 721–732. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03740.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2011
- Received: 15 December 2010, Accepted: 20 March 2011
- 2009. Evidence for a role of gibberellins in salicylic acid modulated early plant responses to abiotic stress in Arabidopsis thaliana seeds. Plant Physiology 150: 1335–1344. , , , , , , , .
- 1962. A re-examination of the relative turgidity technique for estimating water deficits in leaves. Australian Journal of Biological Sciences 15: 415–428. , .
- 2010. Improved drought and salt stress tolerance in transgenic tobacco overexpressing a novel A20/AN1 zinc-finger “AlSAP” gene isolated from the halophyte grass Aeluropus littoralis. Plant Molecular Biology 72: 171–190. , , , , , , .
- 2007. PSITE vectors for stable integration or transient expression of autofluorescent protein fusions in plants: probing Nicotiana benthamiana–virus interactions. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 740–750. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2003. A network of rice genes associated with stress response and seed development. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 4945–4950. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1990. Tumor necrosis factor-alpha induction of novel gene products in human endothelial cells including a macrophage-specific chemotaxin. Journal of Biological Chemistry 265: 2973–2978. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Cloning and characterization of AWP1, a novel protein that associates with serine/threonine kinase PRK1 in vivo. Gene 256: 113–121. , , , , , .
- 2004. Zinc-finger protein A20, a regulator of inflammation and cell survival, has de-ubiquitinating activity. Biochemical Journal 378: 727–734. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Conserved actin cysteine residues are oxidative stress sensors that can regulate cell death in yeast. Molecular Biology of the Cell 18: 1359–1365. , .
- 2009. Identification of polyubiquitin binding proteins involved in NF-kappaB signaling using protein arrays. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1794: 1010–1016. , , .
- 2005. A20 inhibits NF-kappaB activation by dual ubiquitin-editing functions. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 30: 1–4. , .
- 2006. A novel ubiquitin-binding protein ZNF216 functioning in muscle atrophy. EMBO Journal 25: 554–564. , , , , , .
- 2006. Overexpressing a NAM, ATAF, and CUC (NAC) transcription factor enhances drought resistance and salt tolerance in rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 12987–12992. , , , , , , .
- 2004. ZNF216 is an A20-like and IkappaB kinase gamma-interacting inhibitor of NFkappaB activation. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 16847–16853. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Expression analysis of rice A20/AN1-type zinc finger genes and characterization of ZFP177 that contributes to temperature stress tolerance. Gene 420: 135–144. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Overexpression of putative topoisomerase 6 genes from rice confers stress tolerance in transgenic Arabidopsis plants. FEBS Journal 273: 5245–5260. , , .
- 2007. Phylogenetic and expression analysis of ZnF-AN1 genes in plants. Genomics 90: 265–275. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Regulation of abiotic stress responses by ubiquitin ligases. [WWW document]. URL http://wcrc.confex.com/data/abstract/wcrc/2007/Paper_1675_abstract_2136_0.pdf [accessed on 2 November 2007]. , , , .
- 2008. Overexpression of OsiSAP8, a member of stress associated protein (SAP) gene family of rice confers tolerance to salt, drought and cold stress in transgenic tobacco and rice. Plant Molecular Biology 66: 445–462. , .
- 1999. Improving plant drought, salt, and freezing tolerance by gene transfer of a single stress-inducible transcription factor. Nature Biotechnology 17: 287–291. , , , , .
- 2004. A combination of the Arabidopsis DREB1A gene and stress-inducible RD29A promoter improved drought- and low-temperature stress tolerance in tobacco by gene transfer. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 346–350. , , , .
- 2009. Glycinebetaine-induced water-stress tolerance in codA-expressing transgenic indica rice is associated with up-regulation of several stress responsive genes. Plant Biotechnology Journal 7: 512–526. , , , , , .
- 2007. Recent advances in transgenic rice biotechnology. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 26: 65–103. , , , .
- 1998. Challenges in understanding RLK function. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 1: 388–392. , , .
- 2000. Failure to regulate TNF-induced NF-kappaB and cell death responses in A20-deficient mice. Science 289: 2350–2354. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Evolutionary history and stress regulation of plant receptor-like kinase/pelle genes. Plant Physiology 150: 12–26. , , , .
- 1998. Zinc fingers are sticking together. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 23: 1–4. , .
- 2006. Abiotic stress, the field environment and stress combination. Trends in Plant Science 11: 15–19. .
- 2006. The tomato NBARC-LRR protein Prf interacts with Pto kinase in vivo to regulate specific plant immunity. Plant Cell 18: 2792–2806. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Overexpression of a zinc-finger protein gene from rice confers tolerance to cold, dehydration, and salt stress in transgenic tobacco. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 6309–6314. , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bioassays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum 15: 473–497. , .
- 2004. Overexpression of constitutive differential growth 1 gene, which encodes a RLCKVII-subfamily protein kinase, causes abnormal differential and elongation growth after organ differentiation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 136: 3124–3133. , , , , .
- 2009. Transcriptional regulatory networks in response to abiotic stresses in Arabidopsis and grasses. Plant Physiology 149: 88–95. , , .
- 2007. Plant nuclear factor Y (NF-Y) B subunits confer drought tolerance and lead to improved corn yields on water-limited acres. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 16450–16455. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Leucine-rich repeat receptor-like kinase1 is a key membrane-bound regulator of abscisic acid early signaling in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 1105–1119. , , , , , .
- 2010. Expression of pigeonpea hybrid-proline-rich protein encoding gene (CcHyPRP) in yeast and Arabidopsis affords multiple abiotic stress tolerance. Plant Biotechnology Journal 8: 76–87. , , , .
- 2005. Pea DNA helicase 45 overexpression in tobacco confers high salinity tolerance without affecting yield. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 509–514. , , , .
- 2001. The salt stress-inducible protein kinase gene, Esi47, from the salt-tolerant wheatgrass Lophopyrum elongatum is involved in plant hormone signaling. Plant Physiology 125: 1429–1441. , , , , , .
- 2001. Receptor-like kinases from Arabidopsis form a monophyletic gene family related to animal receptor kinases. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 10763–10768. , .
- 2004. Comparative analysis of the receptor-like kinase family in Arabidopsis and rice. Plant Cell 16: 1220–1234. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genetic engineering of the glyoxalase pathway in tobacco leads to enhanced salinity tolerance. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 14672–14677. , , .
- 2009. Characterization and phylogenetic analysis of environmental stress-responsive SAP gene family encoding A20/AN1 zinc finger proteins in tomato. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 282: 153–164. , , , .
- 1982. A mutant of Arabidopsis thaliana which lacks activation of RuBP carboxylase in vivo. Plant Physiology 70: 381–387. , , .
- 2009. Redox-dependent regulation of the stress-induced zinc-finger protein SAP12 in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Plant 2: 357–367. , , , , , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis PBS1 resistance gene encodes a member of a novel protein kinase subfamily. Plant Journal 26: 101–112. , .
- 1999. Zinc-finger proteins: the classical zinc finger emerges in contemporary plant science. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 1073–1078. .
- 1996. Initiation of plant disease resistance by physical interaction of AvrPto and Pto kinase. Science 274: 2060–2063. , , , , , .
- 2008. The receptor-like cytoplasmic kinase (OsRLCK) gene family in rice: organization, phylogenetic relationship and expression during development and stress. Molecular Plant 1: 732–750. , , , , .
- 2006. Genome-wide analysis of the stress associated protein (SAP) gene family containing A20/AN1 zinc-finger(s) in rice and their phylogenetic relationship with Arabidopsis. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 276: 565–575. , .
- 2007. Emerging trends in the functional genomics of the abiotic stress response in crop plants. Plant Biotechnology Journal 5: 361–380. , .
- 2008. A20/AN1 zinc-finger domain-containing proteins in plants and animals represent common elements in stress response. Functional & Integrative Genomics 8: 301–307. , .
- 2006. Rice XA21 binding protein 3 is a ubiquitin ligase required for full Xa21-mediated disease resistance. Plant Cell 18: 3635–3646. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Genetic transformation of OSISAP1 gene to onion (Allium cepa L.) mediated by a microprojectile bombardment. Journal of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 33: 188–196. , .
- 1995. Protein–peptide interactions analyzed with the yeast two-hybrid system. Nucleic Acids Research 23: 1152–1156. , , .
- 2004. Calcium/calmodulin up-regulates a cytoplasmic receptor-like kinase in plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 279: 42552–42559. , , , , .
- 2003. Overexpression analysis of plant transcription factors. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 430–440. .