SHORT INTERNODES-like genes regulate shoot growth and xylem proliferation in Populus
Article first published online: 12 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 3, pages 678–691, August 2011
How to Cite
Zawaski, C., Kadmiel, M., Ma, C., Gai, Y., Jiang, X., Strauss, S. H. and Busov, V. B. (2011), SHORT INTERNODES-like genes regulate shoot growth and xylem proliferation in Populus. New Phytologist, 191: 678–691. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03742.x
- Issue published online: 20 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 12 MAY 2011
- Received: 30 December 2010, Accepted: 13 March 2011
- 2004. Impact of altered gibberellin metabolism on biomass accumulation, lignin biosynthesis, and photosynthesis in transgenic tobacco plants. Plant Physiology 135: 254–265. , , .
- 2007. Cross-talk between gibberellin and auxin in development of Populus wood: gibberellin stimulates polar auxin transport and has a common transcriptome with auxin. Plant Journal 52: 499–511. , , , , .
- 1992. Influence of soil-water on the physiological and morphological components of plant water-balance in Populus trichocarpa, Populus deltoides and their F1 hybrids. Tree Physiology 11: 325–339. , , .
- 2006. Transgenic modification of gai or rgl1 causes dwarfing and alters gibberellins, root growth, and metabolite profiles in Populus. Planta 224: 288–299. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Genetic transformation: a powerful tool for dissection of adaptive traits in trees. New Phytologist 167: 9–18. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Genes for control of plant stature and form. New Phytologist 177: 589–607. , , .
- 2003. Activation tagging of a dominant gibberellin catabolism gene (GA 2-oxidase) from poplar that regulates tree stature. Plant Physiology 132: 1283–1291. , , , , , .
- 2010. Quantitative analysis of cytokinins in plants by high performance liquid chromatography: electronspray ionization ion trap mass spectrometry. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 52: 925–932. , , , , .
- 2010. The Arabidopsis thaliana STYLISH1 protein acts as a transcriptional activator regulating auxin biosynthesis. Plant Cell 22: 349–363. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Enhancer trapping in woody plants: isolation of the ET304 gene encoding a putative AT-hook motif transcription factor and characterization of the expression patterns conferred by its promoter in transgenic Populus and Arabidopsis. Plant Science 171: 206–216. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. A DELLAcate balance: the role of gibberellin in plant morphogenesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 77–85. , .
- 1945. Preparation of thin sections of synthetic resins and wood–resin composites, and a new macerating method for wood. Nature 155: 51. .
- 1999. The Arabidopsis dwarf mutant shi exhibits reduced gibberellin responses conferred by overexpression of a new putative zinc finger protein. Plant Cell 11: 1019–1031. , , , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis protein SHI represses gibberellin responses in Arabidopsis and barley. Plant Physiology 127: 937–948. , , , .
- 1992. A versatile binary vector system with a T-DNA organizational-structure conducive to efficient integration of cloned DNA into the plant genome. Plant Molecular Biology 20: 1203–1207. .
- 2010. Gibberellins regulate lateral root formation in Populus through interactions with auxin and other hormones. Plant Cell 22: 623–639. , , , , , , .
- 1994. An analysis of the potential land base for energy crops in the Conterminous United States. Biomass & Bioenergy 6: 175–189. .
- 1978. Transfection and transformation of Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Molecular & General Genetics 163: 181–187. , , , , , .
- 2005. Tissue-specific localization of gibberellins and expression of gibberellin-biosynthetic and signaling genes in wood-forming tissues in aspen. Plant Journal 44: 494–504. , , .
- 2007. Populus: a model system for plant biology. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 435–458. , .
- 2010. Activation tagging of an Arabidopsis SHI-RELATED SEQUENCE gene produces abnormal anther dehiscence and floral development. Plant Molecular Biology 74: 337–351. , , , , , .
- 2009. Making bigger plants: key regulators of final organ size. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 17–22. .
- 2006. Functionally redundant SHI family genes regulate Arabidopsis gynoecium development in a dose-dependent manner. Plant Journal 47: 99–111. , , , .
- 2002. STY1 and STY2 promote the formation of apical tissues during Arabidopsis gynoecium development. Development 129: 4707–4717. , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(T)(–Delta Delta C) method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2010. Production of compact plants by overexpression of AtSHI in the ornamental Kalanchoe. Plant Biotechnology Journal 8: 211–222. , , , , , .
- 2009. Analyses of GA20ox- and GID1-over-expressing aspen suggest that gibberellins play two distinct roles in wood formation. Plant Journal 58: 989–1003. , .
- 2002. Green revolution: a mutant gibberellin-synthesis gene in rice. Nature 416: 701–702. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Lrp1, a gene expressed in lateral and adventitious root primordia of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 7: 735–745. , .
- 2006. STY1 regulates auxin homeostasis and affects apical-basal patterning of the Arabidopsis gynoecium. Plant Journal 47: 112–123. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Update on gibberellin signaling. A tale of the tall and the short. Plant Physiology 135: 668–676. , .
- 1958. Interaction between indole-acetic acid and gibberellic acid in cambial activity. Nature 181: 1744–1745. .
- 2003. Cytokinin-deficient transgenic Arabidopsis plants show multiple developmental alterations indicating opposite functions of cytokinins in the regulation of shoot and root meristem activity. Plant Cell 15: 2532–2550. , , , , , .
- 2002. Genomics and forest biology: Populus emerges as the perennial favorite. Plant Cell 14: 2651–2655. , , .
- 2008. The F-box gene family is expanded in herbaceous annual plants relative to woody perennial plants. Plant Physiology 148: 1189–1200. , , , , , , , , .