OsSFR6 is a functional rice orthologue of SENSITIVE TO FREEZING-6 and can act as a regulator of COR gene expression, osmotic stress and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis
Article first published online: 17 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 4, pages 984–995, September 2011
How to Cite
Wathugala, D. L., Richards, S. A., Knight, H. and Knight, M. R. (2011), OsSFR6 is a functional rice orthologue of SENSITIVE TO FREEZING-6 and can act as a regulator of COR gene expression, osmotic stress and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 191: 984–995. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03759.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 17 MAY 2011
- Received: 3 February 2011, Accepted: 4 April 2011
- 2007. Purification of a plant mediator from Arabidopsis thaliana identifies PFT1 as the Med25 subunit. Molecular Cell 26: 717–729. , , , , .
- 2003. The sfr6 mutant of Arabidopsis is defective in transcriptional activation via CBF/DREB1 and DREB2 and shows sensitivity to osmotic stress. Plant Journal 34: 395–406. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Mediator complexes and eukaryotic transcription regulation: an overview. Biochimie 89: 1439–1446. , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2003. OsDREB genes in rice, Oryza sativa L., encode transcription activators that function in drought-, high-salt- and cold-responsive gene expression. Plant Journal 33: 751–763. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis transcriptome profiling indicates that multiple regulatory pathways are activated during cold acclimation in addition to the CBF cold response pathway. Plant Cell 14: 1675–1690. , .
- 2009. A cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) DRE-binding transcription factor gene, GhDREB, confers enhanced tolerance to drought, high salt, and freezing stresses in transgenic wheat. Plant Cell Reports 28: 301–311. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Low temperature regulation of the Arabidopsis CBF family of AP2 transcriptional activators as an early step in cold-induced COR gene expression. Plant Journal 16: 433–442. , , , , , .
- 2002. Transcription factor CBF4 is a regulator of drought adaptation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 130: 639–648. , , , , , .
- 2002a. Tomato plants ectopically expressing Arabidopsis CBF1 show enhanced resistance to water deficit stress. Plant Physiology 130: 618–626. , , , .
- 2002b. Heterology expression of the Arabidopsis C-repeat/dehydration response element binding factor 1 gene confers elevated tolerance to chilling and oxidative stresses in transgenic tomato. Plant Physiology 129: 1086–1094. , , , , , , .
- 1996. The molecular biology of plant acclimation to low temperature. Journal of Experimental Botany 47: 291–305. , .
- 2006. Functional analysis of rice DREB1/CBF-type transcription factors involved in cold-responsive gene expression in transgenic rice. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 141–153. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Components of the Arabidopsis C-repeat/dehydration-responsive element binding factor cold-response pathway are conserved in Brassica napus and other plant species. Plant Physiology 127: 910–917. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Arabidopsis CBF1 overexpression induces COR genes and enhances freezing tolerance. Science 280: 104–106. , , , , .
- 2002. GATEWAYTM vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2004. MED16 and MED23 of mediator are coactivators of lipopolysaccharide- and heat-shock-induced transcriptional activators. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 12153–12158. , , , , , .
- 1998. A history of stress alters drought calcium signalling pathways in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 16: 681–687. , , .
- 2009. Identification of SFR6, a key component in cold acclimation acting post-translationally on CBF function. Plant Journal 58: 97–108. , , , , , .
- 1999. The sfr6 mutation in Arabidopsis suppresses low-temperature induction of genes dependent on the CRT DRE sequence motif. Plant Cell 11: 875–886. , , , .
- 1960. Freezing injury of plant tissue. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 85: 570–575. .
- 1995. Yeast global transcriptional regulators SIN4 and RGR1 are components of mediator complex/RNA polymerase II holoenzyme. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 92: 10864–10868. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Two transcription factors, DREB1 and DREB2, with an EREBP/AP2 DNA binding domain separate two cellular signal transduction pathways in drought- and low-temperature-responsive gene expression, respectively, in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 10: 1391–1406. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(−ΔΔC T) method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2010. Comprehensive analysis of rice DREB2-type genes that encode transcription factors involved in the expression of abiotic stress-responsive genes. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 283: 185–196. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Dealing with overdispersed count data in applied ecology. Journal of Applied Ecology 45: 218–227. .
- 2006. Functional analysis of an Arabidopsis transcription factor, DREB2a, involved in drought-responsive gene expression. Plant Cell 18: 1292–1309. , , , , , , .
- 1998. An Arabidopsis gene family encoding DRE/CRT binding proteins involved in low-temperature-responsive gene expression. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 250: 161–170. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics in biological research. New York, NY, USA: Freeman. , .
- 1997. Arabidopsis thaliana cbf1 encodes an AP2 domain-containing transcriptional activator that binds to the C-repeat/DRE, a cis-acting DNA regulatory element that stimulates transcription in response to low temperature and water deficit. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 1035–1040. , , .
- 1999. Plant cold acclimation: freezing tolerance genes and regulatory mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 50: 571–599. .
- 1988. A method for computing profile-likelihood-based confidence intervals. Applied Statistics 37: 87–94. , .
- 1994. A novel cis-acting element in an Arabidopsis gene is involved in responsiveness to drought, low-temperature, or high-salt stress. Plant Cell 6: 251–264. , .
- 2004. Freezing-sensitive tomato has a functional CBF cold response pathway, but a CBF regulon that differs from that of freezing-tolerant Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 39: 905–919. , , , , , , .