Influence of cultivated landscape composition on variety resistance: an assessment based on wheat leaf rust epidemics
Article first published online: 17 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 4, pages 1095–1107, September 2011
How to Cite
Papaïx, J., Goyeau, H., Du Cheyron, P., Monod, H. and Lannou, C. (2011), Influence of cultivated landscape composition on variety resistance: an assessment based on wheat leaf rust epidemics. New Phytologist, 191: 1095–1107. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03764.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 17 MAY 2011
- Received: 8 February 2011, Accepted: 5 April 2011
- 1999. The ecological role of biodiversity in agroecosystems. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment 74: 19–31. .
- 2008. Genetic structure of the poplar rust fungus Melampsora larici-populina: evidence for isolation by distance in Europe and recent founder effects overseas. Infection, Genetics & Evolution 8: 577–587. , , , , , .
- 2006. Sustainable pest regulation in agricultural landscapes: a review on landscape composition, biodiversity and natural pest control. Proceedings of the Royal Society B – Biological Sciences 273: 1715–1727. , , .
- 2008. Wheat leaf rust caused by Puccinia triticina. Molecular Plant Pathology 9: 563–575. , , .
- 2010. Quantitative resistance increases the durability of qualitative resistance to Leptosphaeria maculans in Brassica napus. New Phytologist 185: 285–299. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Functional homogenization of bird communities along habitat gradients: accounting for niche multidimensionality. Global Ecology and Biogeography 19: 684–696. , .
- 2009. Evolutionary epidemiology of drug-resistance in space. PLoS Computational Biology 5: e1000337. , , .
- 2010. Defining and measuring ecological specialization. Journal of Applied Ecology 47: 15–25. , , , , , , , , .
- 1971. Current status of the gene-for-gene concept. Annual Review of Phytopathology 9: 275–296. .
- 2009. Intraspecific functional diversity in hosts and its effect on disease risk across a climatic gradient. Ecological Applications 19: 1868–1883. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Bayesian data analysis, 2nd edn. New York, NY, USA: Chapman and Hall/CRC. , , , .
- 2008. Sustainable agriculture and plant diseases: an epidemiological perspective. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B – Biological Sciences 363: 741–759. .
- 1973. Octal notation for designating physiologic races of plant pathogens. Nature 242: 620. .
- 2007. Clonality and host selection in the wheat pathogenic fungus Puccinia triticina. Fungal Genetics and Biology 44: 474–483. , , , , .
- 2006. Distribution of pathotypes with regard to host cultivars in French wheat leaf rust populations. Phytopathology 96: 264–273. , , , .
- 1998. Metapopulation dynamics. Nature 396: 41–49. .
- 1993. Observed and predicted changes in virulence gene-frequencies at 11 loci in a local barley powdery mildew population. Phytopathology 83: 253–260. , , .
- 1999. The effects of local spatial structure on epidemiological invasions. Proceedings of the Royal Society B – Biological Sciences 266: 859–867. .
- 2006. Effects of species diversity on disease risk. Ecology Letters 9: 485–498. , , .
- 2002. Virulence phenotypes of Puccinia triticina in the South Atlantic States in 1999. Plant Disease 86: 288–291. .
- 2008. Isolate specificity of quantitative trait loci for partial resistance of barley to Puccinia hordei confirmed in mapping populations and near-isogenic lines. New Phytologist 177: 743–755. , , , , , .
- 2009. Connectivity of the American agricultural landscape: assessing the national risk of crop pest and disease spread. BioScience 59: 141–151. , , , .
- 1998. Aggressiveness of isolates of Phytophthora infestans from the Columbia basin of Washington and Oregon. Phytopathology 88: 190–197. , , .
- 2002. Use of multiline cultivars and cultivar mixtures for disease management. Annual Review of Phytopathology 40: 381–410. .
- 1988. Influence of number of host genotype units on the effectiveness of host mixtures for disease control: a modeling approach. Phytopathology 78: 1087–1094. , .
- 2002. Relevance of integrated disease management to resistance durability. Euphytica 124: 245–252. , , .
- 2004. Safeguarding production – losses in major crops and the role of crop protection. Crop Protection 23: 275–285. , .
- ONIGC. 2008. Répartition des variétés – récoltes 1999–2008 (blé tendre, orge, blé dur, triticale). Technical Report: Les Cahiers de l’ONIGC. Paris, France: France Agrimer.
- 2009a. Aggressiveness and its role in the adaptation of plant pathogens. Plant Pathology 58: 409–424. , , , , , .
- 2009b. Aggressiveness components and adaptation to a host cultivar in wheat leaf rust. Phytopathology 99: 869–878. , , , .
- 2001. Invasion and persistence of plant parasites in a spatially structured host population. Oikos 94: 162–174. , , .
- 2000. Population structure of Puccinia recondite in western Europe during 1995, as assessed by variability in pathogenicity and molecular markers. Journal of Phytopathology 148: 169–179. , , .
- 2006. Large-scale fungicide spray heterogeneity and the regional spread of resistant pathogen strains. Phytopathology 96: 549–555. , , .
- 2005. Susceptibility to fungal pathogens of forests differing in tree diversity. Ecological Studies 176: 263–289. , , .
- 2007. Landscape epidemiology of plant diseases. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 4: 963–972. , , .
- 2010. JAGS Version 2.1.0 user manual. Technical Report. [WWW document]. URL http://www-fis.iarc.fr/~martyn/software/jags/ [accessed 11 March 2011]. .
- 2003. A 10-year survey of populations of Leptosphaeria maculans in France indicates a rapid adaptation towards the rlm1 resistance gene of oilseed rape. European Journal of Plant Pathology 109: 871–881. , , , , , , , .
- 1985. Wheat leaf rust. In: RoelfsAP, BushnallWR, eds. The cereal rusts 2. Orlando, FL, USA: Academic Press, 39–52. .
- 2009. Parameterization and evaluation of a spatiotemporal model of the potato late blight pathosystem. Phytopathology 99: 290–300. , , , .
- 2008. The origins of plant pathogens in agro-ecosystems. Annual Review of Phytopathology 46: 75–100. , .
- 2003. Evolution of virulence in a plant host–pathogen metapopulation. Science 299: 1735–1737. , .
- 2010. Impact of spatial clustering on disease transmission and optimal control. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 1041–1046. , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Patterns of race changes in powdery mildews. Annual Reviews of Phytopathology 16: 159–180. , .
- 1977. The role of crop populations and their deployment, illustrated by means of a simulator, Epimul 76. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 287: 164–190. , .
- 2000. Genetic diversity and disease control in rice. Nature 406: 718–722. , , , , , , , , , et al.