Leaf and root pectin methylesterase activity and 13C/12C stable isotopic ratio measurements of methanol emissions give insight into methanol production in Lycopersicon esculentum
Article first published online: 19 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 4, pages 1031–1040, September 2011
How to Cite
Oikawa, P. Y., Giebel, B. M., da Silveira Lobo O’Reilly Sternberg, L., Li, L., Timko, M. P., Swart, P. K., Riemer, D. D., Mak, J. E. and Lerdau, M. T. (2011), Leaf and root pectin methylesterase activity and 13C/12C stable isotopic ratio measurements of methanol emissions give insight into methanol production in Lycopersicon esculentum. New Phytologist, 191: 1031–1040. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03770.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 19 MAY 2011
- Received: 20 November 2010, Accepted: 16 April 2011
- 2006. Characterization of the temperature activation of pectin methylesterase in green beans and tomatoes. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 54: 204–211. , .
- 2005. Post-photosynthetic fractionation of stable carbon isotopes between plant organs – a widespread phenomenon. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 19: 1381–1391. , , , , .
- 1994. Immobilized and free apoplastic pectinmethylesterases in mung bean hypocotyl. Plant Physiology 106: 1151–1156. , .
- 1964. The utilization of carbon-1 compounds from plants. Canadian Journal of Biochemistry 42: 1793–1802. .
- 2004. Methanotrophs and methylobacteria are found in woody plant tissues within the winter period. Microbiology 73: 702–709. , , , .
- 1996. Leaf methanol – the simplest natural product from plants. Trends in Plant Science 1: 296–301. , .
- 1998. Isoprene synthase: from biochemical mechanism to emission algorithm. Journal of Geophysical Research 103: 25599–25609. , .
- 2008. Methanol emissions from deciduous tree species: dependence on temperature and light intensity. Plant Biology 10: 65–75. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Pectin methylesterase regulates methanol and ethanol accumulation in ripening tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) fruit. Journal of Biological Chemistry 273: 4293–4295. , , , , .
- 2002. The production of methanol by flowering plants and the global cycle of methanol. Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry 43: 195–229. , .
- 2003. Carbon isotope fractionation during dark respiration and photorespiration in C3 plants. Phytochemistry Reviews 2: 145–161. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Δ13C stable isotope analysis of atmospheric oxygenated volatile organic compounds by gas chromatography-isotope ratio mass spectrometry. Analytical Chemistry 82: 6797–6806. , , .
- 1996. Methyl-esterification, de-esterification and gelation of pectins in the primary cell wall. In: VisserJ, VoragenAGJ, eds. Pectins and pectinases. Amsterdam: Elsevier Science, 151–172. , , , .
- 2000. Metabolism of methanol in plant cells. Carbon-13 nuclear magnetic resonance studies. Plant Physiology 123: 287–296. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Environmental controls over methanol emission from leaves. Biogeosciences 4: 1083–1099. , , , .
- 2002. Atmospheric methanol budget and ocean implication. Global Biogeochemical Cycles, doi:10.1029/2002GB001895. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Simultaneous growth and emission measurements demonstrate an interactive control of methanol release by leaf expansion and stomata. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1783–1793. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Global budget of methanol: constraints from atmospheric observations. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres, doi:10.1029/2004JD005172. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. New insight into the atmospheric chloromethane budget gained using stable carbon isotope ratios. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 5: 2403–2411. , , , , .
- 2004. Carbon isotope anomaly in the major plant C-1 pool and its global biogeochemical implications. Biogeosciences 1: 123–131. , , , , .
- 2009. Pectin methylesterase Napme1 contributes to the emission of methanol during insect herbivory and to the elicitation of defence responses in Nicotiana Attenuata. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2631–2640. , , , .
- 2003a. A model for studies of tropospheric ozone and nonmethane hydrocarbons: model description and ozone results. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 108: 22. , , , .
- 2003b. A model for studies of tropospheric ozone and nonmethane hydrocarbons: model evaluation of ozone-related species. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 108: 26. , , , .
- 1985. Stable-carbon isotopic composition of maple sap and foliage. Plant Physiology 78: 427–429. , .
- 1993. Carbon metabolism photosynthesis and production in a changing environment. London, UK: Chapman and Hall. .
- 1991. Plant function and biogenic terpene emission. In: SharkeyTD, HollandEA, MooneyHA, eds. Trace gas emissions by plants. San Diego, USA: Academic Press, Inc., 121–134. .
- 1998. Proton-transfer-reaction mass spectrometry (Ptr-Ms): on-line monitoring of volatile organic compounds at Pptv levels. Chemical Society Reviews 27: 347–354. , , .
- 2000. Biochemistry and physiology of foliar isoprene production. Trends in Plant Science 5: 477–481. , , .
- 1993. Detection of substantial emissions of methanol from plants to the atmosphere. Atmospheric Environment Part a-General Topics 27: 1709–1713. , .
- 1997. A new model system for tomato genetics. Plant Journal 12: 1465–1472. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Methanol emission from leaves – enzymatic detection of gas-phase methanol and relation of methanol fluxes to stomatal conductance and leaf development. Plant Physiology 108: 1359–1368. , , , , .
- 2003a. Controls on the emission of plant volatiles through stomata: a sensitivity analysis. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: 4211. , .
- 2003b. Controls on the emission of plant volatiles through stomata: differential sensitivity of emission rates to stomatal closure explained. Journal of Geophysical Research 108: 4208. , .
- 1961. Metabolic fractionation of C13 & C12 in plants. Plant Physiology 36: 133–138. , .
- 2007. New insights into pectin methylesterase structure and function. Trends in Plant Science 12: 267–277. , , .
- 1999. The isotopic composition of atmospheric methane. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 13: 445–461. , , , , , .
- 2003. Chemically methylated and reduced pectins: preparation, characterisation by H-1 NMR spectroscopy, enzymatic degradation, and gelling properties. Carbohydrate Research 338: 637–649. , , , .
- 2001. Evidence from the pacific troposphere for large global sources of oxygenated organic compounds. Nature 410: 1078–1081. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Distribution and fate of selected oxygenated organic species in the troposphere and lower stratosphere over the Atlantic. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 105: 3795–3805. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. The function and metabolism of ascorbic acid in plants. Annals of Botany 78: 661–669. .
- 1997. Changes in the delta C-13 values of trees during a tropical rainy season: some effects in addition to diffusion and carboxylation by Rubisco? American Journal of Botany 84: 1693–1700. .
- 2003. Biogenic methanol and its impacts on tropospheric oxidants. Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1029/2003GL017167. , , .
- 2001. Aerobic methylotrophic bacteria as phytosymbionts. Microbiology 70: 623–632. , , .
- 1996. Carbon isotope pattern in purine alkaloids a key to isotope discriminations in C-1 compounds. Phytochemistry 41: 1073–1077. , , .
- 1999. Carbon and hydrogen isotope systematics of bacterial formation and oxidation of methane. Chemical Geology 161: 291–314. .
- 2001. Pectin: cell biology and prospects for functional analysis. Plant Molecular Biology 47: 9–27. , , , .
- 2004. Production of methanol from methane by methanotrophic bacteria. Biocatalysis and Biotransformation 22: 225–229. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Carbon isotopic signatures of methanol and acetaldehyde emitted from biomass burning source. Geophysical Research Letters 36: 5. , , , , .