On the multi-temporal correlation between photosynthesis and soil CO2 efflux: reconciling lags and observations
Article first published online: 24 MAY 2011
No claim to original US government works. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 191, Issue 4, pages 1006–1017, September 2011
How to Cite
Vargas, R., Baldocchi, D. D., Bahn, M., Hanson, P. J., Hosman, K. P., Kulmala, L., Pumpanen, J. and Yang, B. (2011), On the multi-temporal correlation between photosynthesis and soil CO2 efflux: reconciling lags and observations. New Phytologist, 191: 1006–1017. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03771.x
- Issue published online: 11 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 24 MAY 2011
- Received: 28 February 2011, Accepted: 16 April 2011
- 2000. Estimates of the annual net carbon and water exchange of forests: The EUROFLUX methodology. Advances in Ecological Research 30: 113–175. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Soil respiration across scales: towards an integration of patterns and processes. New Phytologist 186: 292–296. , , , , .
- 2006. Root respiration in temperate mountain grasslands differing in land use. Global Change Biology 12: 995–1006. , , , , .
- 2008. Soil respiration in European grasslands in relation to climate and assimilate supply. Ecosystems 11: 1352–1367. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Does photosynthesis affect grassland soil-respired CO2 and its carbon isotope composition on a diurnal timescale? New Phytologist 182: 451–460. , , , , .
- 2001. A spectral analysis of biosphere–atmosphere trace gas flux densities and meteorological variables across hour to multi-year time scales. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 107: 1–27. , , .
- 2006. How switches and lags in biophysical regulators affect spatial–temporal variation of soil respiration in an oak–grass savanna. Journal of Geophysical Research 111: G02008. doi: 10.1029/2005JG000063. , , .
- 2002. C-13 content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , , .
- 1998. Responses of soil respiration to clipping and grazing in a tallgrass prairie. Journal of Environmental Quality 27: 1539–1548. , , , .
- 1998. Drought reduces root respiration in sugar maple forests. Ecological Applications 8: 771–778. , , , .
- 2007. Allocation and residence time of photosynthetic products in a boreal forest using a low-level C-14 pulse-chase labeling technique. Global Change Biology 13: 466–477. , , , .
- 2007. Contribution of new photosynthetic assimilates to respiration by perennial grasses and shrubs: residence times and allocation patterns. New Phytologist 76: 124–135. , .
- 2005. Spatial analysis of growing season length control over net ecosystem exchange. Global Change Biology 11: 1777–1787. , , , .
- 2011. In situ assessment of the velocity of carbon transfer by tracing 13C in trunk CO2 efflux after pulse labelling: variations among tree species and seasons. New Phytologist 190: 181–192. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Soil water content and temperature as independent or confounded factors controlling soil respiration in a temperate mixed hardwood forest. Global Change Biology 4: 217–227. , , .
- 1995. Gas diffusivity and production of CO2 in deep soils of the Eastern Amazon. Tellus Series B-Chemical and Physical Meteorology 47: 550–565. , .
- 2003. Automated monitoring of soil respiration: a moving chamber design. Soil Science Society of America Journal 67: 1266–1271. , .
- 2001. Natural abundance of C-13 in CO2 respired from forest soils reveals speed of link between tree photosynthesis and root respiration. Oecologia 127: 305–308. , .
- 2001. Seasonal dynamics of soil carbon dioxide efflux and simulated rhizosphere respiration in a beech forest. Tree Physiology 21: 145–152. , , , .
- 1996. Measurements of carbon sequestration by long-term eddy covariance: methods and a critical evaluation of accuracy. Global Change Biology 2: 169–182. , , , , .
- 2004. Application of the cross wavelet transform and wavelet coherence to geophysical time series. Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 11: 561–566. , , .
- 2006. Direct and indirect effects of atmospheric conditions and soil moisture on surface energy partitioning revealed by a prolonged drought at a temperate forest site. Journal of Geophysical Research—Atmospheres 111: D16102, doi: 10.1029/2006JD007161. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Separating root and soil microbial contributions to soil respiration: a review of methods and observations. Biogeochemistry 48: 115–146. , , , .
- 2005. Station for measuring ecosystem–atmosphere relations (SMEAR II). Boreal Environment Research 10: 315–322. , .
- 2006. The dependence of respiration on photosynthetic substrate supply and temperature: integrating leaf, soil and ecosystem measurements. Global Change Biology 12: 1954–1968. , , , , , .
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Carbon allocation between tree root growth and root respiration in boreal pine forest. Oecologia 132: 579–581. , , .
- 2001. Large-scale forest girdling shows that current photosynthesis drives soil respiration. Nature 411: 789–792. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Interannual variation in soil CO2 efflux and the response of root respiration to climate and canopy gas exchange in mature ponderosa pine. Global Change Biology 14: 2848–2859. , , , .
- 2001. Productivity overshadows temperature in determining soil and ecosystem respiration across European forests. Global Change Biology 7: 269–278. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Estimating global and local scaling exponents in turbulent flows using discrete wavelet transformations. Physics of Fluids 13: 241–250. , , .
- 2001. Photosynthesis controls of rhizosphere respiration and organic matter decomposition. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 33: 1915–1925. , .
- 2010. Time lag between photosynthesis and CO2 efflux from soil: a review. Global Change Biology 16: 3386–3406. , .
- 2005. Root and rhizomicrobial respiration: a review of approaches to estimate respiration by autotrophic and heterotrophic organisms in soil. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 168: 503–520. , .
- 1994. On the temperature dependence of soil respiration. Functional Ecology 8: 315–323. , .
- 2007. Inter-annual variability in carbon dioxide exchange of an oak/grass savanna and open grassland in California. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 147: 157–171. , , , .
- 2010. The significance of phloem transport for the speed with which canopy photosynthesis and belowground respiration are linked. New Phytologist 185: 189–203. , .
- 1999. Modeling diffusion and reaction in soils. IX. The Buckingham–Burdine–Campbell equation for gas diffusivity in undisturbed soil. Soil Science 164: 542–551. , , , , .
- 2006. Towards a standardized processing of net ecosystem exchange measured with eddy covariance technique: algorithms and uncertainty estimation. Biogeosciences 3: 571–583. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Seasonal patterns of soil CO2 efflux and soil air CO2 concentration in a Scots pine forest: comparison of two chamber techniques. Global Change Biology 9: 371–382. , , , .
- 2009. Carbon balance and allocation of assimilated CO2 in Scots pine, Norway spruce, and Silver birch seedlings determined with gas exchange measurements and C-14 pulse labelling. Trees—Structure and Function 23: 611–621. , , , , .
- 1995. Global patterns of carbon dioxide emissions from soils. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 9: 23–36. , .
- 2005. On the separation of net ecosystem exchange into assimilation and ecosystem respiration: review and improved algorithm. Global Change Biology 11: 1424–1439. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Soil respiration fluxes in a temperate mixed forest: seasonality and temperature sensitivities differ among microbial and root–rhizosphere respiration. Tree Physiology 30: 165–176. , .
- 2009. Drought effects on allocation of recent carbon: from beech leaves to soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 184: 950–961. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Interpreting, measuring, and modeling soil respiration. Biogeochemistry 73: 3–27. , .
- 2000. Soil respiration and the global carbon cycle. Biogeochemistry 48: 7–20. , .
- 1993. Modeling of carbon-dioxide transport and production in soil. 1. Model development. Water Resources Research 29: 487–497. , .
- 2003. The speed of soil carbon throughput in an upland grassland is increased by liming. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1461–1469. , , , .
- 2007. Are ecosystem carbon inputs and outputs coupled at short time scales? A case study from adjacent pine and hardwood forests using impulse–response analysis. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 700–710. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Feedback interactions between needle litter decomposition and rhizosphere activity. Oecologia 139: 551–559. , , , , , .
- 2009. Short-term dynamics of abiotic and biotic soil (CO2)-C-13 effluxes after in situ (CO2)-C-13 pulse labelling of a boreal pine forest. New Phytologist 183: 349–357. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Tree photosynthesis modulates soil respiration on a diurnal time scale. Global Change Biology 11: 1298–1304. , , .
- 2011. Effect of precipitation variability on net primary production and soil respiration in a Chihuahuan Desert grassland. Global Change Biology 17: 1505–1515. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Scaling phloem transport: water potential equilibrium and osmoregulatory flow. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1561–1577. , .
- 1998. A practical guide to wavelet analysis. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79: 61–78. , .
- 1999. Interdecadal changes in the ENSO-monsoon system. Journal of Climate 12: 2679–2690. , .
- 2010a. Looking deeper into the soil: biophysical controls and seasonal lags of soil CO2 production and efflux. Ecological Applications 20: 1569–1582. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010b. Ecosystem CO2 fluxes of arbuscular and ectomycorrhizal dominated vegetation types are differentially influenced by precipitation and temperature. New Phytologist 185: 226–236. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Frontiers and challenges in soil respiration research: from measurements to model-data integration. Biogeochemistry 102: 1–13. , , , .
- 2010c. Multiscale analysis of temporal variability of soil CO2 production as influenced by weather and vegetation. Global Change Biology 16: 1589–1605. , , , .
- 2005. Effect of thinning on surface fluxes in a boreal forest. Global Biogeochemical Cycles 19: GB2001, doi: 10.1029/2004GB002316. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Photosynthetic carbon isotope discrimination and its relationship to the carbon isotope signals of stem, soil and ecosystem respiration. New Phytologist 188: 576–589. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Seasonal and inter-annual variability of the net ecosystem CO2 exchange of a temperate mountain grassland: effects of weather and management. Journal of Geophysical Research—Atmospheres 113: D08110, doi: 10.1029/2007JD009286. , , , , , .
- 2007. Biases of CO2 storage in eddy flux measurements in a forest pertinent to vertical configurations of a profile system and CO2 density averaging. Journal of Geophysical Research—Atmospheres 112: D20123, doi: 10.1029/2006JD008243. , , , , , , , , .