Calcium-regulated anion channels in the plasma membrane of Lilium longiflorum pollen protoplasts
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 1, pages 45–60, October 2011
How to Cite
Tavares, B., Dias, P. N., Domingos, P., Moura, T. F., Feijó, J. A. and Bicho, A. (2011), Calcium-regulated anion channels in the plasma membrane of Lilium longiflorum pollen protoplasts. New Phytologist, 192: 45–60. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03780.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2011
- Received: 18 February 2011, Accepted: 26 April 2011
- 2007. Anion channels and transporters in plant cell membranes. FEBS Letters 581: 2367–2374. , , , , , .
- 2002. Ion channel-like properties of the Na+/K+ Pump. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 976: 31–40. , .
- 2000. Anion channels in higher plants: functional characterization, molecular structure and physiological role. Biochimica et Biophys Acta 1465: 199–218. , , , , , .
- 1996. Ionic channel rundown in excised membrane patches. Biochemica et Biophysica Acta 1286: 53–63. .
- 2003. Gating of Cl− currents in protoplasts from the marine alga Valonia utricularis depends on the transmembrane Cl− gradient and is affected by enzymatic cell wall degradation. Journal Membrane Biology 191: 165–178. , , , .
- 2005. Gametophyte interaction and sexual reproduction: how plants make a zygote. International Journal of Developmental Biology 49: 615–632. , , .
- 2009a. The role of Cl− in pollen germination and tube growth. Russian Journal of Developmental Biology 39: 157–164. , , .
- 2009b. Membrane potential changes during pollen germination and tube growth. Cell and Tissue Biology 3: 573–582. , , , .
- 2008. Exclusion of a proton ATPase from the apical membrane is associated with cell polarity and tip growth in Nicotiana tabacum pollen tubes. Plant Cell 20: 614–634. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Dynamic regulation of guard cell anion channels by cytosolic free Ca2+ concentration and protein phosphorylation. Plant Journal 61: 816–825. , , , .
- 1996. The pollen tube growth pathway: its molecular and biochemical contributions and responses to pollination. Sexual Plant Reproduction 9: 330–336. .
- 2007. Identification and functional characterization of cation–chloride cotransporters in plants. Plant Journal 50: 278–292. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Gadolinium effects on gigaseal formation and the adhesive properties of a fungal amoeboid cell, the slime mutant of Neurospora crassa. Journal of Membrane Biology 198: 77–87. , , , .
- 2004. Identification and characterization of stretch-activated ion channels in pollen protoplasts. Plant Physiology 135: 1398–1406. , .
- 2001. In vitro Arabidopsis pollen germination and characterization of the inward potassium currents in Arabidopsis pollen grain protoplasts. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1603–1614. , , , .
- 2003. Outward K+ channels in Brassica chinensis pollen protoplasts are regulated by external and internal pH. Protoplasma 220: 143–152. , , .
- 2000. External pH regulates the inward K+ channels in Brassica pollen protoplasts. Progress in Natural Science 10: 68–73. , .
- 1999. Identification and characterization of the inward K+ channel in the plasma membrane of Brassica pollen protoplasts. Plant Cell Physiology 40: 859–865. , , .
- 2004. Signalling by tips. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 589–598. , , , , .
- 1995. Ion dynamics and its possible role during in vitro pollen germination and tube growth. Protoplasma 187: 155–167. , , .
- 1999. Growing pollen tubes possess a constitutive alkaline band in the clear zone and a growth-dependent acidic tip. Journal of Cell Biology 144: 483–496. , , , , .
- 2001. Cellular oscillations and the regulation of growth: the pollen tube paradigm. Bioessays 23: 86–94. , , , , , .
- 2003. Characterization of whole-cell K+ currents across the plasma membrane of pollen grain and tube protoplasts of Lilium longiflorum. Journal of Membrane Biology 193: 99–108. , .
- 1981. Improved patch-clamp techniques for high-resolution current recording from cells and cell-free membrane patches. Pflugers Archiv 391: 85–100. , , , , .
- 1992. A New Scheme of Symbiosis: Ligand- and Voltage-Gated Anion Channels in Plants and Animals. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society: Biologica Sciences 338: 31–38. , .
- 2006. Ions and pollen tube growth. In: Malhó R, ed. The pollen tube – a cellular and molecular perspective. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 47–69. , , , .
- 2001. Polarized cell growth in higher plants. Annual Review of Cell Development Biology 17: 159–187. , , .
- 1997. Pollen tube growth and the intracellular cytosolic calcium gradient oscillate in phase while extracellular calcium influx is delayed. Plant Cell 9: 1999–2010. , , , , .
- 2003. Control of pollen tube growth: role of ion gradients and fluxes. New Phytologist 159: 539–563. , .
- 2006. The use of non-invasive ion-selective microelectrode techniques for the study of plant development. In: Volkov V, ed. Plant electrophysiology – theory and methods. Berlin, Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 109–137. , , , , .
- 1992. Effect of electrical field and extrenal ionic currents on pollen tube orientation. Sexual Plant Reproduction 5: 57–63. , , .
- 1999. AKT3, a phloem-localized K1 channel, is blocked by protons. Proceedings of the Natural Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 7581–7586. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Tight-seal whole-cell recording. In: Sakmann B, Neher E, eds. Single channel recording. New York, NY, USA: Plenum, 31–52. , .
- 1993. Molecular mechanisms of pollen-tube growth and differentiation. Plant Cell 5: 1303–1314. .
- 1997. Tip localized Ca2+ pulses are coincident with peak pulsatile growth rates in pollen tubes of Lilium longiflorum. Journal of Cell Science 110: 1269–1278. , .
- 2000. Periodic increases in elongation rate precede increases in cytosolic Ca2+ during pollen tube growth. Developmental Biology 222: 84–98. , , , .
- 1999. Pulsatile influxes of H+, K+ and Ca2+ tag growth pulses of Lilium longiflorum pollen tubes. Journal of Cell Science 112: 1497–1509. , , .
- 2004. Chloride fluxes in lily pollen tubes: a critical reevaluation. Plant Journal 40: 799–812. , , , .
- 2009. The role of ion fluxes in polarized cell growth and morphogenesis: the pollen tube as an experimental paradigm. International Journal of Developmental Biology 53: 1609–1622. , , .
- 2007. The pollen tube oscillator: integrating biophysics and biochemistry into cellular growth and morphogenesis. In: Mancuso S, Shabala S, eds. Rhythms in plants: phenomenology, mechanisms, and adaptive significance. Heidelberg, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 39–46. , , .
- 2002. Pollen tube development and competitive ability are impaired by disruption of a Shaker K+ channel in Arabidopsis. Gene Development 16: 339–350. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Electrical-properties of intact pollen grains of Lilium-longiflorum– characteristics of the non-germinating pollen grain. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 803–813. , .
- 1993. K+ channels in the plasma-membrane of lily pollen protoplasts. Botanica Acta 106: 26–31. , .
- 1994. Pollen-tube growth is coupled to the extracellular calcium-ion flux and the intracellular calcium gradient – effect of bapta-type buffers and hypertonic media. Plant Cell 6: 1815–1828. , , , , , , .
- 1996. Tip-localized calcium entry fluctuates during pollen tube growth. Developmental Biology 174: 160–173. , , , , , .
- 2005. Gene family analysis of the Arabidopsis pollen transcriptome reveals novel biological implications for cell growth and division control and gene expression regulation. Plant Physiology 138: 744–756. , , , .
- 2003. Differences in whole-cell and single-channel ion currents across the plasma membrane of mesophyll cells from two closely related Thlaspi species. Plant Physiology 131: 583–594. , .
- 2006. Plasma membrane anion channels in higher plants and their putative functions in roots. New Phytologist 169: 647–666. .
- 2008. Expression cloning of TMEM16A as a calcium-activated chloride channel subunit. Cell 134: 1019–1029. , , , .
- 1994. A channel that allows inwardly directed fluxes of anions in protoplasts derived from wheat roots. Planta 102: 295–305. , .
- 1987. The isolation and culture of lily pollen protoplasts. Plant Science 50: 205–211. , , .
- 1993. Role of bicarbonate chloride exchange in regulation of cytosolic pH. Russian Plant Physiology 40: 81–86. , .
- 2004. Ca2+-permeable channels in the plasma membrane of Arabidopsis pollen are regulated by actin microfilaments. Plant Physiology 136: 3892–3904. , , , , .
- 1976. Major growth current through lily pollen tubes enters as K+ and leaves as H+. Planta 133: 1–7. , .
- 1998. Divalent cation gating of an ammonium permeable channel in the symbiotic membrane from soybean nodules. Plant Journal 16(3): 313–324. , , .
- 2010. Spermidine oxidase-derived H2O2 regulates pollen plasma membrane hyperpolarization-activated Ca2+-permeable channels and pollen tube growth. Plant Journal 63: 1042–1053. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Citrate-permeable channels in the plasma membrane of cluster roots from white lupin. Plant Physiology 136: 3771–3783. , , .
- 2001. Ion dynamics and hydrodynamics in the regulation of pollen tube growth. Sexual Plant Reproduction 14: 111–116. , , .
- 2002. Oscillatory chloride efflux at the pollen tube apex has a role in growth and cell volume regulation and is targeted by inositol 3,4,5,6-tetrakisphosphate. Plant Cell 14: 2233–2249. , , , .