Physiological and molecular analysis of polyethylene glycol-induced reduction of aluminium accumulation in the root tips of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris)
Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 1, pages 99–113, October 2011
How to Cite
Yang, Z.-B., Eticha, D., Rotter, B., Rao, I. M. and Horst, W. J. (2011), Physiological and molecular analysis of polyethylene glycol-induced reduction of aluminium accumulation in the root tips of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris). New Phytologist, 192: 99–113. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03784.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 13 JUN 2011
- Received: 22 March 2011, Accepted: 28 April 2011
- 2004. Correction of sequence-based artifacts in serial analysis of gene expression. Bioinformatics 20: 1254–1263. , .
- 2010. Transcriptional regulation of aquaporins in accessions of Arabidopsis in response to drought stress. Plant Journal 61: 650–660. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Whole gene family expression and drought stress regulation of aquaporins. Plant Molecular Biology 59: 469–484. , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Basic local alignment search tool. Journal of Molecular Biology 215: 403–410. , , , , .
- 1997. The significance of digital gene expression profiles. Genome Research 7: 986–995. , .
- 1988. Pectins as mediators of wall porosity in soybean cells. Planta 175: 389–395. , , .
- 2005. Drought and salt tolerance in plants. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 24: 23–58. , .
- 2007. Proline-rich cell wall proteins accumulate in growing regions and phloem tissue in response to water deficit in common bean seedlings. Planta 225: 1121–1133. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Selection for drought resistance in common bean also improves yield in phosphorus limited and favorable environments. Crop Science 48: 582–592. , , , .
- 1990. Role of root cation-exchange capacity in differential aluminium tolerance of Lotus species. Journal of Plant Nutrition 13: 729–744. , , .
- 2008. Pathogenesis-related proteins for the plant protection. Asian Journal of Experimental Sciences 22: 189–196. , .
- 2004. Genes commonly regulated by water-deficit stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2331–2341. .
- 1993. Structural models of primary cell walls in flowering plants: consistency of molecular structure with the physical properties of the walls during growth. Plant Journal 3: 1–30. , .
- 1997. Assembly and enlargement of the primary cell wall in plants. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 13: 171–201. .
- 2005. Growth of the plant cell wall. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 6: 850–861. .
- 1995. Cell-wall proteins induced by water deficit in bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) seedlings. Plant Physiology 107: 1119–1128. , , , , .
- 2010. Transcriptomic analysis reveals differential gene expression in response to aluminium in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) genotypes. Annals of Botany 105: 1119–1128. , , , , , , .
- 2007. An aluminum-activated citrate transporter in barley. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 1081–1091. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. SuperSAGE analysis of the Nicotiana attenuata transcriptome after fatty acid-amino acid elicitation (FAC): identification of early mediators of insect responses. BMC Plant Biology 10: 66. , , , , , .
- 1978. Some problems and potentials of field beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) in Latin America. Field Crops Research 1: 295–317. .
- 1997. Common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Field Crops Research 53: 131–146. , .
- 2008. SuperSAGE revealed different classes of early resistance response genes in Capsicum chinense plants harboring L3-resistance gene infected with Pepper mild mottle virus. Journal of General Plant Pathology 74: 313–321. , , , , , .
- 1995. The role of the apoplast in aluminium toxicity and resistance of higher plants: a review. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Soil Science 158: 419–428. .
- 2010. The role of the root apoplast in aluminium-induced inhibition of root elongation and in aluminium resistance of plants: a review. Annals of Botany 106: 185–197. , , .
- 2005. Regulation of proline biosynthesis, degradation, uptake and transport in higher plants: its implications in plant growth and abiotic stress tolerance. Current Science 88: 424–438. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Isolation and expression analysis of two stress-responsive sucrose-synthase genes from the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum (Hochst.). Planta 209: 13–24. , , , , , .
- 1981. Pore size distribution analysis of gel substances by size exclusion chromatography. Journal of Chromatography 206: 449–461. .
- 2006. Upland rice and lowland rice exhibited different PIP expression under water deficit and ABA treatment. Cell Research 16: 651–660. , , , , , .
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2−ΔΔCT method. Methods 25: 402–408. , .
- 2007. A gene in the multidrug and toxic compound extrusion (MATE) family confers aluminum tolerance in sorghum. Nature Genetics 39: 1156–1161. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Gene expression analysis of plant host pathogen interactions by SuperSAGE. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 15718–15723. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. High-throughput SuperSAGE for digital gene expression analysis of multiple samples using next generation sequencing. PLoS ONE 5: e12010. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0012010. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Plant glycoside hydrolases involved in cell wall polysaccharide degradation. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 44: 435–449. , .
- 2008. SuperSAGE: the drought stress responsive transcriptome of chickpea roots. BMC Genomics 9: 553–581. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Adaptations of higher plant cell walls to water loss: drought vs desiccation. Physiologia Plantarum 134: 237–245. , , , .
- 1999. Biological functions of proline in morphogenesis and osmotolerance revealed in antisense transgenic Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 18: 185–193. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Lipid transfer proteins enhance cell wall extension in tobacco. The Plant Cell 17: 2009–2019. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Monitoring expression profiles of Arabidopsis gene expression during rehydration process after dehydration using ca. 7000 full-length cDNA microarray. Plant Journal 34: 868–887. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Aluminium resistance in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) involves induction and maintenance of citrate exudation from root apices. Physiologia Plantarum 138: 176–190. , , , .
- 2007. Spatial aluminium sensitivity of root apices of two common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) genotypes with contrasting aluminium resistance. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 3895–3904. , , .
- 2009. Intracellular distribution and binding state of aluminium in root apices of two common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) genotypes in relation to Al toxicity. Physiologia Plantarum 135: 162–173. , , .
- 2001. Role of physiology in improving crop adaptation to abiotic stresses in the tropics: the case of common bean and tropical forages. In: Pessarakli M, ed. Handbook of plant and crop physiology. New York, NY, USA: Marcel Dekker, 583–613. .
- 2010. Transcriptomes of the desiccation-tolerant resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum. Plant Journal 63: 212–228. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A root-specific bZIP transcription factor is responsive to water deficit stress in tepary bean (Phaseolus acutifolius) and common bean (P. vulgaris). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1391–1398. , .
- 2005. The gene for a xyloglucan endotransglucosylase/hydrolase from Cicer arietinum is strongly expressed in elongating tissues. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 43: 169–176. , , , .
- 2002. The XTH family of enzymes involved in xyloglucan endotransglucosylation and endohydrolysis: current perspectives and a new unifying nomenclature. Plant and Cell Physiology 43: 1421–1435. , , , .
- 2000. Primer3 on the WWW for general users and for biologist programmers. In: Krawetz S, Misener S, eds. Bioinformatics methods and protocols. Totowa, NJ, USA: Humana Press, 365–386. , .
- 2003. Functional genomics of P450s. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 629–667. , .
- 2009. The MYB96 transcription factor mediates abscisic acid signaling during drought stress response in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 151: 275–289. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Root growth maintenance during water deficits: physiology to functional genomics. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2343–2351. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Gene networks involved in drought stress response and tolerance. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 221–227. , .
- 2003. Regulatory network of gene expression in the drought and cold stress responses. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 410–417. , , .
- 1993. Structure and function of plant cell wall proteins. The Plant Cell 5: 9–23. .
- 2008. Spatial distribution of transcript changes in the maize primary root elongation zone at low water potential. BMC Plant Biology 8: 32. doi: 10.1186/1471-2229-8-32. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Aluminium-induced ethylene production is associated with inhibition of root elongation in Lotus japonicus L. Plant and Cell Physiology 48: 1229–1235. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Integrated management of abiotic stresses. In: Singh SP ed. Common bean improvement in the twenty-first century. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 331–370. , .
- 2009. The role of plasma membrane intrinsic protein aquaporins in water transport through roots: diurnal and drought stress responses reveal different strategies between isohydric and anisohydric cultivars of grapevine. Plant Physiology 149: 445–460. , , , , , .
- 1995. Serial analysis of gene expression. Science 270: 484–487. , , , .
- 2001. Class I beta-1,3-glucanase and chitinase are expressed in the micropylar endosperm of tomato seeds prior to radicle emergence. Plant Physiology 126: 1299–1313. , , , .
- 2000. Adaptation of roots to low water potentials by changes in cell wall extensibility and cell wall proteins. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 1543–1553. , .
- 2008. Characterization of OsbZIP23 as a key player of the basic leucine zipper transcription factor family for conferring abscisic acid sensitivity and salinity and drought tolerance in rice. Plant Physiology 148: 1938–1952. , , , , .
- 2010. Complexity and coordination of root growth at low water potentials: recent advances from transcriptomic and proteomic analyses. Plant, Cell & Environment 33: 590–603. , .
- 2010. Alteration of cell-wall porosity is involved in osmotic stress-induced enhancement of aluminium resistance in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 3245–3258. , , , .
- 2004. Isolation and analysis of water stress induced genes in maize seedlings by subtractive PCR and cDNA macroarray. Plant Molecular Biology 55: 807–823. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Cell wall proteome in the maize primary root elongation zone. II. Region-specific changes in water soluble and lightly ionically bound proteins under water deficit. Plant Physiology 145: 1533–1548. , , , , , , , , , et al.