These authors contributed equally to this work.
Type-2 histone deacetylases as new regulators of elicitor-induced cell death in plants
Article first published online: 8 JUN 2011
© 2011 Université de Bourgogne. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 1, pages 127–139, October 2011
How to Cite
Bourque, S., Dutartre, A., Hammoudi, V., Blanc, S., Dahan, J., Jeandroz, S., Pichereaux, C., Rossignol, M. and Wendehenne, D. (2011), Type-2 histone deacetylases as new regulators of elicitor-induced cell death in plants. New Phytologist, 192: 127–139. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03788.x
- Issue published online: 2 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 8 JUN 2011
- Received: 1 February 2011, Accepted: 28 April 2011
- 1998. Reactive oxygen intermediates mediate a systemic signal network in the establishment of plant immunity. Cell 92: 773–784. , , , , , .
- 1993. The anomalous electrophoretic behavior of the human papillomavirus type 16 E7 protein is due to the high content of acidic amino acid residues. Biochemical Biophysical Research Communication 192: 1380–1387. , .
- 1986. In vivo half-life of a protein is a function of its amino-terminal residue. Science 234: 176–186. , , .
- 1996. Acquired resistance triggered by elicitins in tobacco and others plants. European Journal of Plant Pathology 102: 181–192. , , , , .
- 2003. Proteomics of loosely bound cell wall proteins of Arabidopsis thaliana cell suspension cultures: a critical analysis. Electrophoresis 24: 3421–3432. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Purification and characterization of a high molecular weight histone deacetylase complex (HD2) of maize embryos. Biochemistry 35: 15907–15914. , , , .
- 1995. Inhibition of maize histone deacetylases by HC toxin, the host-selective toxin of Cochliobolus carbonum. The Plant Cell 7: 1941–1950. , , , , .
- 2006. Lymphocyte chemotaxis is regulated by histone deacetylase 6, independently of its deacetylase activity. Molecular Biology of the Cell 17: 3435–3445. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1972. Photosynthetic growth of tobacco cells in liquid suspension. Canadian Journal of Botany 50: 2265–2270. , , .
- 2007. Roles of dynamic and reversible histone acetylation in plant development and polyploidy. Biochemical Biophysical Acta 1769: 295–307. , .
- 2007. In situ molecular identification of the Ntf4 MAPK expression sites in maturing and germinating pollen. Biology of the Cell 99: 209–221. , , , , , .
- 1995. Effect of adrenaline and phorbol myristate acetate or bacterial lipopolysaccharide on stimulation of pathways of macrophage glucose, glutamine and O2 metabolism. Evidence for cyclic AMP-dependent protein kinase mediated inhibition of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase and activation of NADP+-dependent ‘malic’ enzyme. Biochemical Journal 310: 709–714. , , , .
- 2009. Activation of a nuclear localized-SIPK in tobacco cells challenged by cryptogein, an elicitor of plant defence reactions. Biochemical Journal 418: 191–200. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Nuclear protein kinases: still enigmatic components in plant cell signalling. New Phytologist 185: 355–368. , , , , .
- 2008. Phylogeny.fr: robust phylogenetic analysis for the non-specialist. Nucleic Acid Research 36 (Suppl. 2): W465–W469. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1992. Migration of the fungal protein cryptogein within tobacco plants. Plant Physiology 99: 843–847. , , , , .
- 2004. MUSCLE: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acid Research 32: 1792–1797. .
- 1997. Requirement of sense transcription for homology-dependent virus resistance and trans-inactivation. Plant Journal 12: 597–603. , , , , .
- 2006. Early signaling events induced by elicitors of plant defenses. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 19: 711–724. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cryptogein-induced anion effluxes: electrophysiological properties and analysis of the mechanisms through which they contribute to the elicitor-triggered cell death. Plant Signaling Behavior 2: 86–95. , , , , , .
- 2000. FLS2: an LRR receptor-like kinase involved in the perception of the bacterial elicitor flagellin in Arabidopsis. Molecular Cell 5: 1003–1011. , .
- 2004. A plant vacuolar protease, VPE, mediates virus-induced hypersensitive cell death. Science 305: 855–858. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Effects of scavengers for active oxygen species on cell death by cryptogein. Phytochemistry 66: 463–468. , , .
- 2008. From guard to decoy: a new model for perception of plant pathogen effectors. Plant Cell 20: 2009–2017. , .
- 1985. A simple and general method for transferring genes into plants. Science 227: 1229–1231. , , , , , .
- 2007. Down-regulation of a SILENT INFORMATION REGULATOR2-related histone deacetylase gene, OsSRT1, induces DNA fragmentation and cell death in rice. Plant Physiology 144: 1508–1519. , , , , , .
- 2003. Function of a mitogen-activated protein kinase pathway in N gene-mediated resistance in tobacco. Plant Journal 33: 719–731. , , , , , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis WRKY38 and WRKY62 transcription factors interact with histone deacetylase 19 in basal defense. Plant Cell 20: 2357–2371. , , , .
- 2004. Comparison of two methods for preparing mitochondria from tomato leaves to study the ascorbate-glutathione cycle activity. Biological Plantarum 48: 537–542. , .
- 2005. Vacuolar proteases livening up programmed cell death. Trends in Cellular Biology 15: 124–127. .
- 2004. Analysis of nitric oxide signaling functions in tobacco cells challenged by the elicitor cryptogein. Plant Physiology 135: 516–529. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Activation of MAPK homologues by elicitors in tobacco cells. Plant Journal 15: 773–781. , , , .
- 2005. Proteinaceous and oligosaccharidic elicitors induce different calcium signatures in the nucleus of tobacco cells. Cell Calcium 38: 527–538. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis and effects of cytosolic free calcium increases in response to elicitors in Nicotiana plumbaginifolia cells. Plant Cell 14: 2627–2641. , , , , .
- 2000. Phosphoproteins involved in the signal transduction of cryptogein, an elicitor of defense reactions in Tobacco. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 13: 821–829. , , .
- 1997. Receptor-mediated activation of a MAP kinase in pathogen defense of plants. Science 276: 2054–2057. , , , , .
- 2003. Lesion mimic mutants: keys for deciphering cell death and defense pathways in plants? Trends in Plant Science 8: 263–271. , , , .
- 1997. Identification of maize histone deacetylase HD2 as an acidic nucleolar phosphoprotein. Science 277: 88–91. , , , , .
- 2007. The grateful dead: calcium and cell death in plant innate immunity. Cellular Microbiology 9: 2571–2585. , .
- 2005. Tobacco transcription factor WRKY1 is phosphorylated by the MAP kinase SIPK and mediates HR-like cell death in tobacco. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 18: 1027–1034. , , , , , .
- 1994. Structure and function of the golgi complex in rice cells (II. Purification and characterization of golgi membrane-bound nucleoside diphosphatase). Plant Physiology 106: 119–125. , , , , , .
- 2008. The hypersensitive response; the centenary is upon us but how much do we know? Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 501–520. , , , , .
- 2002. Analysis of histone acetyltransferase and histone deacetylase families of Arabidopsis thaliana suggests functional diversification of chromatin modification among multicellular eukaryotes. Nucleic Acids Research 30: 5036–5055. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Protein kinase CK2 is a key activator of histone deacetylase in hypoxia-associated tumors. International Journal of Cancer 122: 333–341. , , , .
- 1997. Early events induced by the elicitor cryptogein in tobacco cells: involvement of a plasma membrane NADPH oxidase and activation of glycolysis and the pentose phosphate pathway. Plant Cell 9: 2077–2091. , , , , , , .
- 1997. Histone hyperacetylation in maize in response to treatment with HC-toxin or infection by the filamentous fungus Cochliobolus carbonum. Plant Physiology 115: 1021–1027. , .
- 1997. Induction of the hypersensitive response and systemic acquired resistance by fungal proteins: the case of elicitins. In: Stacey G, Keen NT, eds. Plant–microbe interactions. New York, NY, USA: Chapman and Hall, 53–75. .
- 2001. Calcium-dependent protein kinases play an essential role in a plant defence response. EMBO Journal 20: 5556–5567. , , , .
- 2005. SIPK signaling controls multiple components of harpin-induced cell death in tobacco. Plant Journal 42: 406–416. , , , , , .
- 2007. The acidic repetitive domain of the Magnetospirillum gryphiswaldense MamJ protein displays hypervariability but is not required for magnetosome chain assembly. Journal of Bacteriology 189: 6437–6446. , .
- 1995. Involvement of free calcium in action of cryptogein, a proteinaceous elicitor of hypersensitive reaction in tobacco cells. Plant Physiology 109: 1025–1031. , , , .
- 2008. Histone deacetylases as transducers and targets of nuclear signaling. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 104: 1541–1552. , , , .
- 2002. Nitrate efflux is an essential component of the cryptogein signaling pathway leading to defense responses and hypersensitive cell death in tobacco. Plant Cell 14: 1937–1951. , , , , .
- 2001. Construct design for efficient, effective and high-throughput gene silencing in plants. Plant Journal 27: 581–590. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Biosynthesis and role in virulence of the histone deacetylase inhibitor depudecin from Alternaria brassicicola. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 22: 1258–1267. , , , .
- 2000. Functional analysis of HD2 histone deacetylase homologues in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 22: 19–27. , , , , .
- 2006. Polyamine oxidase is one of the key elements for oxidative burst to induce programmed cell death in tobacco cultured cells. Plant Physiology 142: 193–206. , , .
- 2001. Activation of salicylic acid-induced protein kinase, a mitogen-activated protein kinase, induces multiple defense responses in tobacco. Plant Cell 13: 1877–1889. , .
- 2000. Multiple levels of tobacco WIPK activation during the induction of cell death by fungal elicitins. Plant Journal 23: 339–347. , , .
- 2005. Plants and animals: a different taste for microbes? Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 353–360. , .