Phloem transport of arsenic species from flag leaf to grain during grain filling
Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 1, pages 87–98, October 2011
How to Cite
Carey, A.-M., Norton, G. J., Deacon, C., Scheckel, K. G., Lombi, E., Punshon, T., Guerinot, M. L., Lanzirotti, A., Newville, M., Choi, Y., Price, A. H. and Meharg, A. A. (2011), Phloem transport of arsenic species from flag leaf to grain during grain filling. New Phytologist, 192: 87–98. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03789.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 10 JUN 2011
- Received: 29 March 2011, Accepted: 3 May 2011
- 2002a. Arsenic accumulation and metabolism in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Environmental Science and Technology 36: 962–968. , , , , .
- 2002b. Uptake kinetics of arsenic species in rice plants. Plant Physiology 128: 1120–1128. , , .
- 2009. Enhanced transfer of arsenic to grain for Bangladesh grown rice compared to US and EU. Environment International 35: 476–479. , , , , , .
- 2006. Enhanced arsenate reduction by a CDC25-like tyrosine phosphatase explains increased phytochelatin accumulation in arsenate-tolerant Holcus lanatus. Plant Journal 45: 917–929. , , , , .
- 2010. Grain unloading of arsenic species in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Physiology 152: 309–319. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cadmium translocation and accumulation in developing barley grains. Planta 227: 223–232. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Identification of tetramethylarsonium in rice grains with elevated arsenic content. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 13: 32–34. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Localization of iron in Arabidopsis seed requires the vacuolar membrane transporter VIT1. Science 314: 1295–1298. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Structural and histochemical studies on grain-filling in the caryopsis of rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Biosciences 28: 455–469. , .
- 1991. Transport of Rb and Sr to the ear in mature, excised shoots of wheat: effects of temperature and stem length on Rb removal from the xylem. Plant and Soil 132: 281–288. , .
- 2009. The rice aquaporin lsi1 mediates uptake of methylated arsenic species. Plant Physiology 150: 2071–2080. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Speciation and distribution of arsenic and localization of nutrients in rice grains. New Phytologist 184: 193–201. , , , , , .
- 2009. Baseline soil variation is a major factor in arsenic accumulation in Bengal delta paddy rice. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 1724–1729. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. A rice mutant defective in Si uptake. Plant Physiology 130: 2111–2117. , , , .
- 2008. Functions and transport of silicon in plants. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 65: 3049–3057. , .
- 2008. Transporters of arsenite in rice and their role in arsenic accumulation in rice grain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 105: 9931–9935. , , , , , , .
- 1982. Uptake, accumulation, and translocation of arsenical compounds by cotton. Journal of Environmental Quality 11: 715–719. , .
- 1993. Soil redox-pH stability of arsenic species and its influence on arsenic uptake by rice. Plant and Soil 152: 245–253. , , .
- 1982. Stem xylem as a possible pathway for mineral retranslocation from senescing leaves to the ear in wheat. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 9: 197–207. .
- 1983. Levels of arsenical species in cotton after field application of a cacodylic acid defoliant. Bulletin of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 31: 216–221. , .
- 2008. Plant aquaporins: membrane channels with multiple integrated functions. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 595–624. , , , .
- 2005. Application of quantitative fluorescence and absorption-edge computed microtomography to image metal compartmentalization in Alyssum murale. Environmental Science and Technology 39: 2210–2218. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Speciation and localization of arsenic in white and brown rice grains. Environmental Science and Technology 42: 1051–1057. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Geographical variation in total and inorganic arsenic content of polished (white) rice. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 1612–1617. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- Grovenor CRM. 2010. NanoSIMS analysis of arsenic and selenium in cereal grain. New Phytologist 185: 434–445. , , , , , , &
- 2007. Germanium-68 as an adequate tracer for silicon transport in plants. Characterization of silicon uptake in different crop species. Plant Physiology 143: 495–503. , , , , .
- 2009. Identification of low inorganic and total grain arsenic rice cultivars from Bangladesh. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 6070–6075. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Arsenic shoot-grain relationships in field grown rice cultivars. Environmental Science and Technology 44: 1471–1477. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1981. Transport of assimilates in the developing caryopsis of rice (Oryza sativa L.) – The pathways of water and assimilated carbon. Planta 152: 388–396. , .
- 2007. Uptake and translocation of inorganic and methylated arsenic species by plants. Environmental Chemistry 4: 197–203. , , , .
- 2009. Transport pathways for arsenic and selenium: a minireview. Environment International 35: 512–515. , .
- 2010. Arsenic tolerance in Arabidopsis is mediated by two ABCC-type phytochelatin transporters. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 21187–21192. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Rice is more efficient in arsenite uptake and translocation than wheat and barley. Plant and Soil 328: 27–34. , , .
- 2008. Inorganic arsenic in rice bran and its products are an order of magnitude higher than in bulk grain. Environmental Science and Technology 42: 7542–7546. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Survey of arsenic and its speciation in rice products such as breakfast cereals, rice crackers and Japanese rice condiments. Environment International 35: 473–475. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Elevated arsenic concentrations in bivalves from the southeast coasts of the USA. Marine Environmental Research 48: 311–333. , , , , , .
- 2005. Variation in arsenic speciation and concentration in paddy rice related to dietary exposure. Environmental Science and Technology 39: 5531–5540. , , , , , .
- 2007. Greatly enhanced arsenic shoot assimilation in rice leads to elevated grain levels compared to wheat and barley. Environmental Science and Technology 41: 6854–6859. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Growing rice aerobically markedly decreases arsenic accumulation. Environmental Science and Technology 42: 5574–5579. , , , .
- 2009. A transporter at the node responsible for intervascular transfer of silicon in rice. Plant Cell 21: 2878–2883. , .
- 2010. Arsenic speciation in phloem and xylem exudates of castor bean. Plant Physiology 154: 1505–1513. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Arsenic uptake and metabolism in plants. New Phytologist 181: 777–794. , , , .
- 2010. Arsenic as a food chain contaminant: mechanisms of plant uptake and metabolism and mitigation strategies. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 535–559. , , .
- 2011. Spatial distribution of arsenic and temporal variation of its concentration in rice. New Phytologist 189: 200–209. , , , , , , , , .