These authors contributed equally to the work.
Identification of pectin methylesterase 3 as a basic pectin methylesterase isoform involved in adventitious rooting in Arabidopsis thaliana
Version of Record online: 21 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 1, pages 114–126, October 2011
How to Cite
Guénin, S., Mareck, A., Rayon, C., Lamour, R., Assoumou Ndong, Y., Domon, J.-M., Sénéchal, F., Fournet, F., Jamet, E., Canut, H., Percoco, G., Mouille, G., Rolland, A., Rustérucci, C., Guerineau, F., Van Wuytswinkel, O., Gillet, F., Driouich, A., Lerouge, P., Gutierrez, L. and Pelloux, J. (2011), Identification of pectin methylesterase 3 as a basic pectin methylesterase isoform involved in adventitious rooting in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 192: 114–126. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03797.x
- Issue online: 2 SEP 2011
- Version of Record online: 21 JUN 2011
- Received: 25 March 2011, Accepted: 5 May 2011
- 2009. Plant cell wall proteomics: mass spectrometry data, a trove for research on protein structure/function relationships. Molecular Plant 2: 977–989. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Identification and isolation of a pectin methylesterase isoform that could be involved in flax cell wall stiffening. Planta 219: 369–378. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The reb1-1 mutation of Arabidopsis alters the morphology of trichoblasts, the expression of arabinogalactan-proteins and the organization of cortical microtubules. Planta 215: 949–958. , , , , .
- 1997. Inhibitors of protein kinases and phosphatases alter root morphology and disorganize cortical microtubules. Plant Physiology 113: 493–502. , .
- 1984. Detection of depolymerase isoenzymes after electrophoresis or electrofocusing, or in titration curves. Analytical Biochemistry 139: 383–389. , , , , , .
- 1973. New method for quantitative determination of uronic acids. Analytical Biochemistry 54: 484–489. , .
- 2003. Proteomics of loosely bound cell wall proteins of Arabidopsis thaliana cell suspension cultures: a critical analysis. Electrophoresis 24: 3421–3432. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Pectin methylesterases and pectindynamics in pollen tube. Plant Cell 17: 3219–3226. , .
- 2005. Cell wall proteins in apoplastic fluids of Arabidopsis thaliana rosettes: identification by mass spectrometry and bioinformatics. Proteomics 5: 212–222. , , , , , , , .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye-binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 2009. The structure, function, and biosynthesis of plant cell wall pectic polysaccharides. Carbohydrate Research 344: 1879–1900. , .
- 2001. Cell wall architecture of the elongating maize coleoptile. Plant Physiology 127: 551–565. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Structural models of primary cell walls in flowering plants: consistency of molecular structure with the physical properties of the walls during growth. Plant Journal 3: 1–30. , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2005. Growth of the plant cell wall. Nature Review Molecular Cell Biology 6: 850–861. .
- 2008. Identification of Arabidopsis thaliana phloem RNAs provides a search criterion for phloem-based transcripts hidden in complex datasets of microarray experiments. Plant Journal 55: 746–759. , , , , , .
- 2007. Restricted cell elongation in Arabidopsis hypocotyls is associated with a reduced average pectin esterification level. BMC Plant Biology 7: 31. , , .
- 2008. Pectin methylesterase and polygalacturonase in the developing grape skin. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 6: 638–646. , , , .
- 2006. Role of the leader sequence in tobacco pectin methylesterase secretion. FEBS Letters 580: 3329–3334. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Effects of the colorless non ripening mutation on cell wall biochemistry and gene expression during tomato fruit development and ripening. Plant Physiology 136: 4184–4197. , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Auxin-resistant mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana with an altered morphology. Molecular and General Genetics 206: 200–206. , .
- 2006. Evaluation of cell wall preparations for proteomics: a new procedure for purifying cell walls from Arabidopsis hypocotyls. Plant Methods 2: 10. , , , , .
- 1999. The pore size of non-graminaceous plant cell walls is rapidly decreased by borate ester cross-linking of the pectic polysaccharide rhamnogalacturonan II. Plant Physiology 121: 829–838. , , .
- 2006. Separation of Arabidopsis pollen tetrads is regulated by QUARTET1, a pectin methylesterase gene. Plant Physiology 142: 1004–1013. , , .
- 2009. Adventitious root formation: new insights and perspectives. In: Beeckman T, ed. Root development. Annual Plant Reviews, Vol . 37. Oxford, UK: Wiley-Blackwell, 127–156. , , .
- 1991. Tracing cell wall biogenesis in intact cells and plants: selective turnover and alteration of soluble and cell wall polysaccharides in grasses. Plant Physiology 97: 551–561. , .
- 2009. Phenotypic plasticity of adventitious rooting in Arabidopsis is controlled by complex regulation of AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR transcripts and microRNA abundance. Plant Cell 21: 3119–3132. , , , , , .
- 2008. Cellulose binding protein from the parasitic nematode Heterodera schachtii interacts with Arabidopsis pectin methylesterase: cooperative cell wall modification during parasitism. Plant Cell 20: 3080–3093. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Genevestigator V3: a reference expression database for the metaanalysis of transcriptomes. Advances in Bioinformatics 420747. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. A new picture of cell wall protein dynamics in elongating cells of Arabidopsis: confirmed actors and newcomers. BMC Plant Biology 8: 94. , , , , .
- 2005. VANGUARD1 encodes a pectin methyl-esterase that enhances pollen tube growth in the Arabidopsis style and transmitting tract. Plant Cell 17: 584–596. , , , , , , , .
- 1986. Determination of methanol using alcohol oxidase and its application to methyl ester content of pectins. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry 34: 597–599. , .
- 2003. Antisense transgenesis of tobacco with a flax pectin methylesterase affects pollen ornamentation. Protoplasma 222: 205–209. , , , , , .
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227: 680–685. .
- 2010. Engineering the cell wall by reducing de-methyl-esterified homogalacturonan improves saccharification of plant tissues for bioconversion. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 616–621. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Overexpression of pectin methyl-esterase inhibitors in Arabidopsis restricts fungal infection by Botrytis cinerea. Plant Physiology 143: 1871–1880. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Comprehensive expression profiling of the pectin methylesterase gene family during silique development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 224: 782–791. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Characterization of the pectin methylesterase-like gene AtPME3: a new member of a gene family comprising at least 12 genes in Arabidopsis thaliana. Gene 220: 13–20. , , , .
- 2000. Radial distribution pattern of pectin methylesterases across the cambial region of hybrid aspen at activity and dormancy. Plant Physiology 124: 191–199. , , , .
- 2007. Homogalacturonan synthesis in Arabidopsis thaliana requires a Golgi-localized protein with a putative methyltransferase domain. Plant Journal 50: 605–614. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Classification and identification of Arabidopsis cell wall mutants using Fourier-Transform InfraRed (FT-IR) microspectroscopy. Plant Journal 35: 393–404. , , , , .
- 2008. GeneCAT-novel webtools that combine BLAST and co-expression analyses. Nucleic Acids Research 36: 320–326. , , , .
- 2008. Partial demethylation of oligogalacturonides by pectin methyl esterase 1 is required for eliciting defence responses in wild strawberry (Fragaria vesca). Plant Journal 54: 43–55. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis phyllotaxis is controlled by the methyl-esterification status of cell-wall pectins. Current Biology 18: 1943–1948. , , , , , , .
- 2010. A role for pectin de-methylesterification in a developmentally regulated growth acceleration in dark-grown Arabidopsis hypocotyls. New Phytologist 188: 126–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. New insights into pectin methylesterase structure and function. Trends in Plant Sciences 12: 267–277. , , .
- 2004. Loss of highly branched arabinans and debranching of rhamnogalacturonan I accompany loss of firm texture and cell separation during prolonged storage of apple. Plant Physiology 135: 1305–1313. , .
- 2000. Expression of a Petunia inflata pectin methylesterase in Solanum tuberosum L. enhances stem elongation and modifies cation distribution. Planta 210: 391–399. , , .
- 2004. Two Arabidopsis thaliana genes encode functional pectin methylesterase inhibitors. FEBS Letters 557: 199–203. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Pectin methylesterase is induced in Arabidopsis upon infection and is necessary for a successful colonization by necrotrophic pathogens. Molecular Plant Microbe Interaction 24: 432–440. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Pectins: structure, biosynthesis, and oligogalacturonide-related signaling. Phytochemistry 57: 929–967. , , .
- 2002. The XTH family of enzymes involved in xyloglucan endotransglucosylation and endohydrolysis: current perspectives and a new unifying nomenclature. Plant and Cell Physiology 43: 1421–1435. , , , .
- 1999. The Arabidopsis thaliana MERISTEM LAYER 1 promoter specifies epidermal expression in meristems and young primordia. Plant Journal 20: 259–263. , , .
- 2008. Pectin methyl esterase inhibits intrusive and symplastic cell growth in developing wood cells of Populus. Plant Physiology 146: 554–565. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Auxin and light control of adventitious rooting in Arabidopsis require ARGONAUTE1. Plant Cell 17: 1343–1359. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The catalytic site of the pectin biosynthetic enzyme alpha-1,4-galacturonosyltransferase is located in the lumen of the Golgi. Plant Physiology 127: 360–371. , , , .
- 2008. The auxin influx carrier LAX3 promotes lateral root emergence. Nature Cell Biology 10: 946–954. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Pollen specific pectin methyl-esterase involved in pollen tube growth. Developmental Biology 294: 83–91. , , , .
- 2003. If homogalacturonan were a side chain of rhamnogalacturonan I. Implications for cell wall architecture. Plant Physiology 132: 1781–1789. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Identification of pollen-expressed pectin methylesterase inhibitors. FEBS Letters 555: 551–555. , , , .
- 2009a. Homogalacturonan methyl-esterification and plant development. Molecular Plant 2: 851–860. , , .
- 2009b. The N-terminal pro region mediates retention of unprocessed type-I PME in the Golgi apparatus. Plant Journal 58: 361–375. , , .
- 2005. The xylem and phloem transcriptomes from secondary tissues of the Arabidopsis root-hypocotyl. Plant Physiology 138: 803–818. , , , , .