Homeostasis of plasma membrane viscosity in fluctuating temperatures
Article first published online: 15 JUL 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 2, pages 328–337, October 2011
How to Cite
Martinière, A., Shvedunova, M., Thomson, A. J.W., Evans, N. H., Penfield, S., Runions, J. and McWatters, H. G. (2011), Homeostasis of plasma membrane viscosity in fluctuating temperatures. New Phytologist, 192: 328–337. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03821.x
- Issue published online: 27 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 15 JUL 2011
- Received: 15 April 2011, Accepted: 3 June 2011
- 1976. Mobility measurement by analysis of fluorescence photobleaching recovery kinetics. Biophysical Journal 16: 1055–1069. , , , , .
- 2009. Historical warnings of future food insecurity with unprecedented seasonal heat. Science 323: 240–244. , .
- 2004. BRASS – biological rhythms analysis software system version 1.3.1. URL http://template.bio.warwick.ac.uk/staff/amillar/PEBrown/BRASS/BrassPage.htm. .
- 2011. Analysis of short-term changes in the Arabidopsis thaliana glycerolipidome in response to temperature and light. Plant Journal 66: 656–668. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Random GFP::cDNA fusions enable visualization of subcellular structures in cells of Arabidopsis at a high frequency. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 3718–3723. , , , .
- 2010. Membrane thickness cue for cold sensing in a bacterium. Current Biology 20: 1539–1544. , , , , .
- 2005. Natural allelic variation in the temperature-compensation mechanisms of the Arabidopsis thaliana circadian clock. Genetics 170: 387–400. , , , , .
- 2007. Elevated atmospheric CO2 concentration and diurnal cycle induce changes in lipid composition in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 174: 591–599. , , .
- 2004. Regulation of membrane fatty acid composition by temperature in mutants of Arabidopsis with alterations in membrane lipid composition. BMC Plant Biology 4: 17. , , .
- 2005. Ras diffusion is sensitive to plasma membrane viscosity. Biophysical Journal 89: 1398–1410. , , , .
- 1998. High temperature promotes auxin-mediated hypocotyl elongation in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 7197–7202. , , , , .
- 1985. Nonlinear least squares analysis. Methods in Enzymology 117: 301–342. , .
- 1995. Fatty acid desaturation during chilling acclimation is one of the factors involved in conferring low-temperature tolerance to young tobacco leaves. Plant Physiology 107: 1177–1185. , , , , .
- 2010. H2A.Z-containing nucleosomes mediate the thermosensory response in Arabidopsis. Cell 140: 136–147. , .
- 1988. Altered regulation of lipid biosynthesis in a mutant of Arabidopsis deficient in chloroplast glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase activity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 85: 4143–4147. , , .
- 2005. Marking cell lineages in living tissues. Plant Journal 42: 444–453. , , , , , .
- 2000. Circadian rhythms in Neurospora crassa: lipid deficiencies restore robust rhythmicity to null frequency and white-collar mutants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 256–261. , .
- 2005. Heat stress phenotypes of Arabidopsis mutants implicate multiple signaling pathways in the acquisition of thermotolerance. Plant Physiology 138: 882–897. , , , .
- 2001. Technical advance: a novel technique for the sensitive quantification of acyl CoA esters from plant tissues. Plant Journal 25: 115–125. , .
- 1990. Mutants of Arabidopsis with alterations in seed lipid fatty acid composition. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 80: 234–240. , , , .
- 1962. Effect of temperature on the composition of fatty acids in Escherichia coli. Journal of Bacteriology 84: 1260–1267. , .
- 1994. High-oleate oilseeds fail to develop at low temperature. Plant Physiology 106: 421–427. , .
- 1993. Arabidopsis requires polyunsaturated lipids for low-temperature survival. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 90: 6208–6212. , , , .
- 1994. Arabidopsis FAD2 gene encodes the enzyme that is essential for polyunsaturated lipid synthesis. Plant Cell 6: 147–158. , , , , , .
- 2010. Temperature-sensitive post-translational regulation of plant omega-3 fatty-acid desaturases is mediated by the endoplasmic reticulum-associated degradation pathway. Journal of Biological Chemistry 285: 21781–21796. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Temperature perception and signal transduction in plants. New Phytologist 179: 615–628. .
- 1960. Circadian rhythms and the circadian organization of living systems. Cold Spring Harbor Symposia on Quantitative Biology 25: 159–184. .
- 1997. Quantitative analysis of Drosophila period gene transcription in living animals. Journal of Biological Rhythms 12: 204–217. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Correlation between the circadian-rhythm of resistance to extreme temperatures and changes in fatty-acid composition in cotton seedlings. Plant physiology 101: 31–36. , , .
- 2006. Photoactivation of GFP reveals protein dynamics within the endoplasmic reticulum membrane. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 43–50. , , , .
- 2002. Circadian period lengths of lipid synthesis mutants (cel, chol-1) of Neurospora show defective temperature, but intact pH-compensation. Chronobiology International 19: 517–529. , .
- 2002. Opposite changes in membrane fluidity mimic cold and heat stress activation of distinct plant MAP kinase pathways. Plant Journal 31: 629–638. , , , , .
- 1972. The fluid mosaic model of the structure of cell membranes. Science 175: 720–731. , .
- 2005. FRAP analysis of binding: proper and fitting. Trends in Cell Biology 15: 84–91. , .
- 1991. Least squares analysis of fluorescence data. In: Lakowicz JR, ed. Topics in fluorescence spectroscopy. New York, NY, USA: Plenum, 117–240. , , .
- 2006. Desaturase mutants reveal that membrane rigidification acts as a cold perception mechanism upstream of the diacylglycerol kinase pathway in Arabidopsis cells. FEBS Letters 580: 4218–4223. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The significance of lipid composition for membrane activity: new concepts and ways of assessing function. Progress in Lipid Research 44: 303–344. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Modulated fatty acid desaturation via overexpression of two distinct omega-3 desaturases differentially alters tolerance to various abiotic stresses in transgenic tobacco cells and plants. Plant Journal 44: 361–371. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana using the floral dip method. Nature Protocols 1: 641–646. , , , , .