These authors contributed equally to this work.
The plant-specific family of DNA-binding proteins containing three HMG-box domains interacts with mitotic and meiotic chromosomes
Article first published online: 22 JUL 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 3, pages 577–589, November 2011
How to Cite
Pedersen, D. S., Coppens, F., Ma, L., Antosch, M., Marktl, B., Merkle, T., Beemster, G. T. S., Houben, A. and Grasser, K. D. (2011), The plant-specific family of DNA-binding proteins containing three HMG-box domains interacts with mitotic and meiotic chromosomes. New Phytologist, 192: 577–589. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03828.x
- Issue published online: 19 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 22 JUL 2011
- Received: 11 April 2011, Accepted: 9 June 2011
- 1990. Binding of wheat and chicken high mobility group chromosomal proteins to DNA and to wheat and chicken mononucleosomes. Journal of Biological Chemistry 265: 9771–9777. , .
- 1995. The HMG-1 box protein family: classification and functional relationships. Nucleic Acids Research 23: 1604–1613. , .
- 2005. Genome-wide analysis of gene expression profiles associated with cell cycle transitions in growing organs of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 138: 734–743. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1992. The DNA binding site of HMG1 protein is composed of two similar segments (HMG boxes), both of which have counterparts in other eukaryotic regulatory proteins. EMBO Journal 11: 1055–1063. , , , .
- 1999. Regulation of DNA-dependent activities by the functional motifs of the high-mobility-group chromosomal proteins. Molecular and Cellular Biology 19: 5237–5246. .
- 2008. Distribution patterns of phosphorylated Thr 3 and Thr 32 of histone H3 in plant mitosis and meiosis. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 122: 73–79. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Plant nuclei can contain extensive grooves and invaginations. Plant Cell 12: 2425–2439. , , , , , .
- 1999. Cell cycling and cell enlargement in developing leaves of Arabidopsis. Developmental Biology 215: 407–419. , , , , .
- 2004. The chromatin remodelling complex FACT associates with actively transcribed regions of the Arabidopsis genome. Plant Journal 40: 660–671. , , , , .
- 1998. Cytogenetics for the model system Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 13: 867–876. , , , , , .
- 1979. Cloning and characterization of ribosomal RNA genes from wheat and barley. Nucleic Acids Research 7: 1869–1885. , .
- 1997. Mitotic repression of the transcriptional machinery. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 22: 197–202. , .
- 2004. HMGB6 from Arabidopsis thaliana specifies a novel type of plant chromosomal HMGB protein. Biochemistry 43: 1309–1314. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Maize chromosomal HMGc: two closely related structure-specific DNA-binding proteins specify a second type of plant HMG-box protein. Journal of Biological Chemistry 271: 32900–32906. , , .
- 2007. High mobility group proteins of the plant HMGB family: dynamic chromatin modulators. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1769: 346–357. , , .
- 2006. The Arabidopsis genome encodes structurally and functionally diverse HMGB-type proteins. Journal of Molecular Biology 358: 654–664. , , , , .
- 1993. Phylogenetic relationships of HMG box DNA-binding domains. Journal of Molecular Evolution 37: 204–210. , , , , .
- 1999. Nuclear export of proteins in plants: AtXPO1 is the export receptor for leucine-rich nuclear export signals in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 20: 695–706. , , , .
- 2008. A novel family of plant DNA-binding proteins containing both HMG-box and AT-rich interaction domains. Biochemistry 47: 13207–13214. , , , , , .
- 2005. Condensins: organizing and segregating the genome. Current Biology 15: R265–R275. .
- 2007. Phosphorylation of histone H3 in plants – a dynamic affair. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1769: 308–315. , , , , , .
- 2005. Novel phosphorylation of histone H3 at threonine 11 that temporally correlates with condensation of mitotic and meiotic chromosomes in plant cells. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 109: 148–155. , , , .
- 2009. Condensin: architect of mitotic chromosomes. Chromosome Research 17: 131–144. , , .
- 2003. Protein kinase CK2 phosphorylates the HMG domain protein SSRP1 inducing the recognition of UV-damaged DNA. Journal of Biological Chemistry 278: 12710–12715. , , , , .
- 1997. Epidermal cell fate and patterning in leaves. Plant Cell 9: 1109–1120. , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis chromatin-associated HMGA and HMGB use different nuclear targeting signals and display highly dynamic localization within the nucleus. Plant Cell 18: 2904–2918. , , , , .
- 2001. Differential chromatin association and nucleosome binding of the maize HMGA, HMGB, and SSRP1 proteins. Biochemistry 40: 7860–7867. , .
- 2010. The transcript elongation factor FACT affects Arabidopsis vegetative and reproductive development and genetically interacts with HUB1/2. Plant Journal 61: 686–697. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Characterization of eu- and heterochromatin of Citrus with a focus on the condensation behavior of 45S rDNA chromatin. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 134: 72–82. , , , , , .
- 1998. Abundance of mRNAs encoding HMG1/HMG2 class high-mobility-group DNA-binding proteins are differentially regulated in cotyledons of Pharbitis nil. Plant Molecular Biology 37: 235–241. , .
- 2008. Chromatin dynamics during the plant cell cycle. Seminars in Cell & Developmental Biology 19: 537–546. , , , , .
- 2010. Nucleocytoplasmic distribution of the Arabidopsis chromatin-associated HMGB2/3 and HMGB4 proteins. Plant Physiology 154: 1831–1841. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real-time RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 29: e45. .
- 2007. rRNA gene silencing and nucleolar dominance: insights into a chromosome-scale epigenetic on/off switch. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1769: 383–392. , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis transcription factors: genome-wide comparative analysis among eukaryotes. Science 290: 2105–2110. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998a. Basic and acidic regions flanking the HMG domain of maize HMGa modulate the interactions with DNA and the self-association of the protein. Biochemistry 37: 2673–2681. , , , , .
- 1998b. Four differently chromatin-associated maize HMG domain proteins modulate DNA structure and act as architectural elements in nucleoprotein complexes. Plant Journal 14: 623–631. , , , , .
- 2000. DNA-interactions and nuclear localisation of the chromosomal HMG domain protein SSRP1 from maize. Plant Journal 23: 395–405. , , , , , .
- 2005. The nucleolus. Playing by different rules? Cell Cycle 4: 102–105. , .
- 2003. The dynamics of chromosome organization and gene regulation. Annual Review of Biochemistry 72: 573–608. .
- 2002. Protein kinase CK2 differentially phosphorylates maize chromosomal high mobility group B (HMGB) proteins modulating their stability and DNA interactions. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 1092–1098. , , , , .
- 2010. HMGB proteins: interactions with DNA and chromatin. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1799: 101–113. .
- 2000. HMG1 protein stimulates DNA end joining by promoting association of DNA molecules via their ends. European Journal of Biochemistry 267: 4088–4097. , , .
- 2007. The HMG-box: a versatile protein domain occurring in a wide variety of DNA-binding proteins. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences 64: 2590–2606. , , .
- 2001. HMG1 and 2, and related architectural DNA-binding proteins. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 26: 167–174. , .
- 2000. Recognition of distorted DNA structures by HMG domains. Current Opinion in Structural Biology 10: 102–109. .
- 2010. Nucleolar dominance and ribosomal RNA gene silencing. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 22: 351–356. , , .
- 2007. A tandem affinity purification-based technology platform to study the cell cycle interactome in Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular & Cellular Proteomics 6: 1226–1238. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. High mobility group proteins HMG-1 and HMGI/Y bind to a positive regulatory region of the pea plastocyanin gene. Plant Journal 11: 703–715. , , , .
- 1993. Structure of the HMG box motif in the B-domain of HMG1. EMBO Journal 12: 1311–1319. , , , , , .
- 2003a. Cloning and characterization of rice HMGB1 gene. Gene 312: 103–109. , , , .
- 2003b. Rice HMGB1 protein recognizes DNA structures and bends DNA efficiently. Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 411: 105–111. , , , .
- 2009. Covalent modifications of histones during mitosis and meiosis. Cell Cycle 8: 3688–3694. , , , , .