Root hydraulic conductance and aquaporin abundance respond rapidly to partial root-zone drying events in a riparian Melaleuca species
Version of Record online: 16 AUG 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 3, pages 664–675, November 2011
How to Cite
McLean, E. H., Ludwig, M. and Grierson, P. F. (2011), Root hydraulic conductance and aquaporin abundance respond rapidly to partial root-zone drying events in a riparian Melaleuca species. New Phytologist, 192: 664–675. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03834.x
- Issue online: 19 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 16 AUG 2011
- Received: 22 April 2011, Accepted: 14 June 2011
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics International 11: 36–42. , , .
- 2008. Root dynamics of peach trees submitted to partial rootzone drying and continuous deficit irrigation. Agricultural Water Management 95: 959–967. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The role of aquaporins and membrane damage in chilling and hydrogen peroxide induced changes in the hydraulic conductance of maize roots. Plant Physiology 137: 341–353. , , , , , .
- 2006. Drought, abscisic acid and transpiration rate effects on the regulation of PIP aquaporin gene expression and abundance in Phaseolus vulgaris plants. Annals of Botany 8: 1301–1310. , , , .
- 2007. Relationships of root conductivity and aquaporin gene expression in Pisum sativum: diurnal patterns and the response to HgCl2 and ABA. Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1291–1300. , , , .
- 1994. Element concentrations in the xylem sap of Picea abies (L.) Karst. seedlings extracted by various methods under different environmental conditions. Tree Physiology 14: 111–128. , , .
- 2009. Xylem hydraulic physiology: the functional backbone of terrestrial plant productivity. Plant Science 177: 245–251. .
- 2005. Effects of partial rootzone drying (PRD) on adult olive tree (Olea europaea) in field conditions under arid climate: II. Photosynthetic responses. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 106: 303–311. , , , .
- 2000. Plasma membrane intrinsic proteins from maize cluster in two sequence subgroups with differential aquaporin activity. Plant Physiology 122: 1025–1034. , , , .
- 1998. Stomatal sensitivity of six temperate, deciduous tree species to non-hydraulic root-to-shoot signalling of partial soil drying. Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 761–774. , , .
- 2002. Stomatal control by chemical signalling and the exploitation of this mechanism to increase water use efficiency in agriculture. New Phytologist 153: 449–460. , , .
- 2000. Global characteristics of stream flow seasonality and variability. Journal of Hydrometeorology 1: 289–310. , .
- 2008. Accounting for sap flow from different parts of the root system improves the prediction of xylem ABA concentration in plants grown with heterogeneous soil moisture. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 4083–4093. , , .
- 2003. Root endodermis and exodermis: structure, function, and responses to the environment. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 21: 335–351. , , .
- 2004. Interactions between plasma membrane aquaporins modulate their water channel activity. Plant Cell 16: 215–228. , , , .
- 1997. Stomatal conductance, growth and root signaling in young oak seedlings subjected to partial soil drying. Tree Physiology 17: 281–289. , , , , , .
- 1998. Stomatal conductance, growth and root signaling in Betula pendula seedlings subjected to partial soil drying. Tree Physiology 18: 769–776. , , , , .
- 1996. Shoot and root physiological responses to localized zones of soil moisture in cultivated and wild lettuce (Lactuca spp.). Plant, Cell & Environment 19: 1169–1178. , , .
- 1994. Water relations, gas exchange and abscisic acid content of Lupinus cosentinii leaves in response to drying different proportions of the root system. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 909–918. , , .
- 2007. Aquaporin expression in response to different water stress intensities and recovery in Richter-110 (Vitis sp.): relationship with ecophysiological status. Planta 226: 671–681. , , , , , .
- 2009. Quantifying Western blots: pitfalls of densitometry. Electrophoresis 30: 1845–1855. , , , .
- 1993. Comparison of reporting methods for root growth data from transparent-interface measurements. Crop Science 33: 310–314. , , .
- 2002. Effects of regulated deficit irrigation and partial root zone drying on late harvest peach tree performance. Acta Horticulturae 592: 343–350. , , , , , .
- 1990. A positive root-sourced signal as an indicator of soil drying in apple, Malus × domestica Borkh. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 1535–1540. , , .
- 2001. The root hydraulic architecture of Melaleuca argentea. BSc (Honours) thesis, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia.
- 2006. Localization and quantification of plasma membrane aquaporin expression in maize primary root: a clue to understanding their role as cellular plumbers. Plant Molecular Biology 62: 305–323. , , , , .
- 1992. Quantitative dot-blot assay for proteins using enhanced chemiluminescence. Journal of Immunological Methods 152: 227–236. , , .
- 1999. Diurnal variations in hydraulic conductivity and root pressure can be correlated with the expression of putative aquaporins in the roots of Lotus japonicus. Planta 210: 50–60. , , , , , , , .
- 1950. The water culture method for growing plants without soil. Berkeley, CA, USA: University of California Agricultural Experiment Station, Circular. , .
- 2000. Abscisic acid and hydraulic conductivity of maize roots: a study using cell- and root-pressure probes. Planta 211: 874–882. , , .
- 1993. Geostatistical patterns of soil heterogeneity around individual perennial plants. Journal of Ecology 81: 683–692. , .
- 2004. An expression analysis of a gene family encoding plasma membrane aquaporins in response to abiotic stresses in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Molecular Biology 54: 713–725. , , , , .
- 2003. Role of a single aquaporin isoform in root water uptake. Plant Cell 15: 509–522. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The role of aquaporins in root water uptake. Annals of Botany 90: 301–313. , .
- 2008. Aquaporins and plant water balance. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 658–666. , , , , , .
- 2003. The effects of partial rootzone drying on root, trunk sap flow and water balance in an irrigated pear (Pyrus communis L.) orchard. Journal of Hydrology 280: 192–206. , , , .
- 2004. Controlled alternate partial root-zone irrigation: its physiological consequences and impact on water use efficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 2437–2446. , .
- 1993. Does xylem sap ABA control the stomatal behaviour of water-stressed sycamore (Acer pseudoplatanus L.) seedlings? Journal of Experimental Botany 44: 1127–1134. , .
- 2007. During measurements of root hydraulics with pressure probes, the contribution of unstirred layers is minimized in the pressure relaxation mode: comparison with pressure clamp and high-pressure flowmeter. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 845–860. , , .
- 2010. Root pressure and a solute reflection coefficient close to unity exclude a purely apoplastic pathway of radial water transport in barley (Hordeum vulgare). New Phytologist 187: 159–170. , .
- 1973. Growth and water absorption of wheat with parts of the roots at different water potentials. New Phytologist 72: 297–305. .
- 2001. Stomatal and leaf growth responses to partial drying of root tips in willow. Tree Physiology 21: 765–770. , , , .
- 2005. Aquaporins in a challenging environment: molecular gears for adjusting plant water status. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 85–96. , .
- 2008. Drought stress alters water relations and expression of PIP-type aquaporin genes in Nicotiana tabacum plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 801–813. , , , .
- 1998. Desiccation- and abscisic acid-responsive genes encoding major intrinsic proteins (MIPs) from the resurrection plant Craterostigma plantagineum. Plant Molecular Biology 38: 1089–1099. , , , .
- 2002. Plasma membrane aquaporins play a significant role during recovery from water deficit. Plant Physiology 130: 1–10. , , , , , .
- 2010. The significance of roots as hydraulic rheostats. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 3191–3198. , , .
- 2007. Aquaporin-mediated changes in hydraulic conductivity of deep tree roots accessed via caves. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 1411–1421. , , , , , .
- 2004. Biomass allocation in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum) plants grown under partial rootzone drying: enhancement of root growth. Functional Plant Biology 31: 971–978. , , , , .
- 1989. The effects of partially drying part of the root system of Helianthus annuus on the abscisic acid content of the roots, xylem sap and leaves. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 1113–1120. , , , .
- 2007. Drying half the root-zone of potted avocado (Persea americana Mill., cv. Hass) trees avoids the symptoms of water deficit that occur under complete root-zone drying. The Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 82: 679–689. , , , , .
- 1992. Hydraulic conductances of the soil, the root soil air gap, and the root – changes for desert succulents in drying soil. Journal of Experimental Botany 43: 319–326. , .
- 2000. Heterogeneity in water availability alters cellular development and hydraulic conductivity along roots of a desert succulent. Annals of Botany 85: 247–255. , .
- 2010. A PIP1 aquaporin contributes to hydrostatic pressure-induced water transport in both the root and rosette of Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 152: 1418–1430. , , , , , , .
- 2002. PIP1 plasma membrane aquaporins in tobacco: from cellular effects to function in plants. Plant Cell 14: 869–876. , , , , .
- 1994. Water transport across roots. Plant and Soil 167: 79–90. .
- 2000. Water uptake by plant roots: an integration of views. Plant and Soil 226: 45–56. .
- 1996. Water transport in plants: role of the apoplast. Plant and Soil 187: 67–79. , .
- 1998. How does water get through roots? Journal of Experimental Botany 49: 775–788. , .
- 2003. Cytosolic pH regulates root water transport during anoxic stress through gating of aquaporins. Nature 425: 393–397. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Dynamic measurements of roots hydraulic conductance using a high-pressure flowmeter in the laboratory and field. Journal of Experimental Botany 46: 83–94. , , , .
- 2009. The role of plasma membrane intrinsic protein aquaporins in water transport through roots: diurnal and drought stress responses reveal different strategies between isohydric and anisohydric cultivars of grapevine. Plant Physiology 149: 445–460. , , , , , .
- 2004. Effect of partial root excision on transpiration, root hydraulic conductance and leaf growth in wheat seedlings. Plant Physiology & Biochemistry 42: 251–255. , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparative effects of partial root drying (PRD) and regulated deficit irrigation (RDI) on water relations and water use efficiency in common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.). Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 106: 275–287. , , , , .
- 2004. Gating of water channels (aquaporins) in cortical cells of young corn roots by mechanical stimuli (pressure pulses): effects of ABA and of HgCl2. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 411–422. , , .
- 1990. Response of split-root sour orange seedlings to NaCl and polyethylene glycol stresses. Journal of Experimental Botany 41: 35–40. , .
- 1987. Control of stomatal behaviour by abscisic acid which apparently originates in the roots. Journal of Experimental Botany 38: 1174–1181. , , .