The diel imprint of leaf metabolism on the δ13C signal of soil respiration under control and drought conditions
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 4, pages 925–938, December 2011
How to Cite
Barthel, M., Hammerle, A., Sturm, P., Baur, T., Gentsch, L. and Knohl, A. (2011), The diel imprint of leaf metabolism on the δ13C signal of soil respiration under control and drought conditions. New Phytologist, 192: 925–938. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03848.x
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2011
- Received: 10 May 2011, Accepted: 7 July 2011
Vol. 202, Issue 4, 1412, Article first published online: 21 MAR 2014
- 2009. Does photosynthesis affect grassland soil-respired CO2 and its carbon isotope composition on a diurnal timescale? New Phytologist 182: 451–460. , , , , .
- 2003. Distribution of above-ground and below-ground carbohydrate reserves in adult trees of two contrasting broad-leaved species (Quercus petraea and Fagus sylvatica). New Phytologist 157: 605–615. , , .
- 2005. Variation in the degree of coupling between δ13C of phloem sap and ecosystem respiration in two mature Nothofagus forests. New Phytologist 166: 497–512. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Soil matrix tracer contamination and canopy recycling did not impair 13CO2 plant-soil pulse labelling experiments. Isotopes in Environmental and Health Studies 47: 1–13. , , .
- 2003. Tree root and soil heterotrophic respiration as revealed by girdling of boreal Scots pine forest: extending observations beyond the first year. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 1287–1296. , , , , , .
- 1985. Resource limitations in plants – an economic analogy. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 363–392. , , .
- 2006. Effects of experimental drought on soil respiration and radiocarbon efflux from a temperate forest soil. Global Change Biology 12: 177–193. , , , .
- 2002. 13C content of ecosystem respiration is linked to precipitation and vapor pressure deficit. Oecologia 131: 113–124. , , , , .
- 2007. Contribution of new photosynthetic assimilates to respiration by perennial grasses and shrubs: residence times and allocation patterns. New Phytologist 176: 124–135. , .
- 2011. In situ assessment of the velocity of carbon transfer by tracing 13C in trunk CO2 efflux after pulse labelling: variations among tree species and seasons. New Phytologist 190: 181–192. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Whole-system responses of experimental plant communities to climate extremes imposed in different seasons. New Phytologist 189: 806–817. , , , .
- 2005. Forest soil respiration rate and δ13C is regulated by recent above ground weather conditions. Oecologia 143: 136–142. , , , .
- 2001. Natural abundance of 13C in CO2 respired from forest soils reveals speed of link between tree photosynthesis and root respiration. Oecologia 127: 305–308. , .
- 1999. Soil CO2 efflux in a beech forest: the contribution of root respiration. Annals of Forest Science 56: 289–295. , , , .
- 2011. Root carbon reserve dynamics in aspen seedlings: does simulated drought induce reserve limitation? Tree Physiology 31: 250–257. , , .
- 2011. Short-term natural 13C variations in pools and fluxes in a beech forest: the transfer of isotopic signal from recent photosynthates to soil respired CO2. Biogeosciences Discussions 8: 2403–2437. , , , , , , .
- 2007. δ13C of organic matter transported from the leaves to the roots in Eucalyptus delegatensis: short-term variations and relation to respired CO2. Functional Plant Biology 34: 692–706. , , , , , , , , .
- 1997. Carbon isotope effects on the fructose-1,6-bisphosphate aldolase reaction, origin for non-statistical 13C distributions in carbohydrates. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 5382–5387. , .
- 2006. Short-term changes in carbon isotope composition of soluble carbohydrates and starch: from canopy leaves to the root system. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 20: 653–660. , , , , .
- 1973. Phloem transport in Ricinus– its dependence on water balance of tissues. Planta 109: 1–10. , .
- 2007. A noninvasive optical system for the measurement of xylem and phloem sap flow in woody plants of small stem size. Tree Physiology 27: 169–179. , , , , .
- 2008. High temporal resolution tracing of photosynthate carbon from the tree canopy to forest soil microorganisms. New Phytologist 177: 220–228. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Linking phloem function to structure: analysis with a coupled xylem-phloem transport model. Journal of theoretical biology 259: 325–337. , , .
- 2001. Productivity overshadows temperature in determining soil and ecosystem respiration across European forests. Global Change Biology 7: 269–278. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A new generation of climate-change experiments: events, not trends. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 5: 365–374. , , .
- 2010. What is the speed of link between aboveground and belowground processes? New Phytologist 187: 886–888. , , .
- 2003. Cell structural changes in the needles of Norway spruce exposed to long-term ozone and drought. Annals of Botany 92: 779–793. , , , .
- 2005. Short-term variations in δ13C of ecosystem respiration reveals link between assimilation and respiration in a deciduous forest. Oecologia 142: 70–82. , , , .
- 2008. Temporal dynamics of the carbon isotope composition in a Pinus sylvestris stand: from newly assimilated organic carbon to respired carbon dioxide. Oecologia 156: 737–750. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Review: Time lag between photosynthesis and carbon dioxide efflux from soil: a review of mechanisms and controls. Global Change Biology 16: 3386–3406. , .
- 1997. Comparing nocturnal eddy covariance measurements to estimates of ecosystem respiration made by scaling chamber measurements at six coniferous boreal sites. Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres 102: 28977–28985. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Root and shoot respiration of perennial ryegrass are supplied by the same substrate pools: assessment by dynamic 13C labeling and compartmental analysis of tracer kinetics. Plant Physiology 148: 1148–1158. , , , , .
- 2005. Interacting effects of irradiance and water stress on dry weight and biomass partitioning in Fagus sylvatica seedlings. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research 20: 322–328. , , .
- 2004. Uncertainty in eddy covariance flux estimates resulting from spectral attenuation. In: Lee X, Massman W, Law B, eds. Handbook of micrometeorology: a guide for surface flux measurement and analysis. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 67–99. , .
- 2011. Mechanisms linking drought, hydraulics, carbon metabolism, and vegetation mortality. Plant Physiology 155: 1051–1059. .
- 2010. Variation of soil and biomass carbon pools in beech forests across a precipitation gradient. Global Change Biology 16: 1035–1045. , .
- 2010. The significance of phloem transport for the speed with which canopy photosynthesis and belowground respiration are linked. New Phytologist 185: 189–203. , .
- 2009. Delayed recovery of soil respiration after wetting of dry soil further reduces C losses from a Norway spruce forest soil. Journal of Geophysical Research 114: G04023, doi: 10.1029/2009JG000998. , .
- 1930. Die Stoffbewegungen in der Pflanze. Jena, Germany: Gustav Fischer Verlag. .
- 2009. Physicochemical and environmental plant physiology. Waltham, MA, USA: Academic Press. .
- 1998. Responses of leaf processes in a sensitive birch (Betula pendula Roth) clone to ozone combined with drought. Annals of Botany 82: 49–59. , , .
- 1997. Drought affects the fluxes of carbon to roots and soil in 13C pulse-labelled plants of wheat. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 29: 1395–1403. , .
- 2009. Tracing of recently assimilated carbon in respiration at high temporal resolution in the field with a tuneable diode laser absorption spectrometer after in situ13CO2 pulse labelling of 20-year-old beech trees. Tree Physiology 29: 1433–1445. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Leaf carbohydrate controls over Arabidopsis growth and response to elevated CO2: an experimentally based model. New Phytologist 172: 500–513. , .
- 2007. Reduction of ecosystem productivity and respiration during the European summer 2003 climate anomaly: a joint flux tower, remote sensing and modelling analysis. Global Change Biology 13: 634–651. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Drought effects on allocation of recent carbon: from beech leaves to soil CO2 efflux. New Phytologist 184: 950–961. , , , , , , .
- 2008. When can we expect extremely high surface temperatures? Geophysical Research Letters 35: L14703, doi:10.1029/2008GL034071. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Theoretical considerations about carbon isotope distribution in glucose of C-3 plants. Functional Plant Biology 31: 857–877. , , , .
- 2009. Accelerating Markov Chain Monte Carlo simulation by differential evolution with self-adaptive randomized subspace sampling. International Journal of Nonlinear Sciences and Numerical Simulation 10: 273–290. , , , , , .
- 2001. Preparation of starch and other carbon fractions from higher plant leaves for stable carbon isotope analysis. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 15: 1136–1140. , , .
- 2011. Diel variations in the carbon isotope composition of respired CO2 and associated carbon sources: a review of dynamics and mechanisms. Biogeosciences Discussions 8: 2183–2233. , .
- 2001. Referencing strategies and techniques in stable isotope ratio analysis. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 15: 501–519. , .
- 2007. The diurnal metabolism of leaf starch. Biochemical Journal 401: 13–28. , , .
- 2010. Fine structural quantification of drought-stressed Picea abies (L.) organelles based on 3D reconstructions. Protoplasma 243: 129–136. , , .
- 2004. Morphological and quantitative data of plastids and mitochondria within drought-stressed spinach leaves. Protoplasma 223: 221–227. , , .
- 1971. Trees, structure and function. Berlin, Germany: Springer. , .