Examining the large-scale convergence of photosynthesis-weighted tree leaf temperatures through stable oxygen isotope analysis of multiple data sets
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 4, pages 912–924, December 2011
How to Cite
Song, X., Barbour, M. M., Saurer, M. and Helliker, B. R. (2011), Examining the large-scale convergence of photosynthesis-weighted tree leaf temperatures through stable oxygen isotope analysis of multiple data sets. New Phytologist, 192: 912–924. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03851.x
- Issue online: 11 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2011
- Received: 30 May 2011, Accepted: 14 July 2011
- 2001. Correlations between oxygen isotope ratios of wood constituents of Quercus and Pinus samples from around the world. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 28: 335–348. , , .
- 2000. Relative humidity- and ABA-induced variation in carbon and oxygen isotope ratios of cotton leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 23: 473–485. , .
- 2000a. Oxygen isotope ratio of leaf and grain material correlates with stomatal conductance and grain yield in irrigated wheat. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 27: 625–637. , , , .
- 2000b. Variation in the oxygen isotope ratio of phloem sap sucrose from castor bean. Evidence in support of the Péclet effect. Plant Physiology 123: 671–679. , , , , .
- 2002. Seasonal variation in δ13C and δ18O of cellulose from growth rings of Pinus radiata. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 1483–1499. , , .
- 1969. Oxygen isotope fractionation between CO2 and water and isotopic composition of marine atmospheric CO2. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 5: 285. , .
- 2003. Interpolating the isotopic composition of modern meteoric precipitation. Water Resources Research 39: 1299–1311. , .
- 2002. Spatial distribution of δ18O in meteoric precipitation. Geology 30: 315–318. , .
- 2000. A rapid and simple method to isolate pure alpha-cellulose. Phytochemical Analysis 11: 7–10. , , .
- 2009. Physiological responses to fertilization recorded in tree rings: isotopic lessons from a long-term fertilization trial. Ecological Applications 19: 1044–1060. , .
- 1981. New equations for computing vapor pressure and enhancement factor. Journal of Applied Meteorology 20: 1527–1532. .
- 1981. Oxygen isotope ratios in trees reflect mean annual temperature and humidity. Science 211: 1417–1419. , .
- 2011. Dual Δ13C/δ18O response to water and nitrogen availability and its relationship with yield in field-grown durum wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 34: 418–433. , , , .
- 2009. Oxygen isotope enrichment (18O) reflects yield potential and drought resistance in maize. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1487–1499. , , .
- 2005. Environmental and physiological controls over oxygen and carbon isotope composition of Tasmanian blue gum, Eucalyptus globulus. Tree Physiology 25: 129–146. , , .
- 1965. Deuterium and oxygen-18 variations in the ocean and marine atmosphere. In: Tongiorgi E, ed. Proceedings of the conference on stable isotopes in oceanographic studies and paleotemperatures. Piza, Italy: Laboratory of Geology and Nuclear Science, 9–130. , .
- 2007. Modelling advection and diffusion of water isotopologues in leaves. Plant, Cell & Environment 30: 892–909. , , , , .
- 1964. Stable isotopes in precipitation. Tellus 16: 436–468. .
- 2007. Toward forward modeling for paleoclimatic proxy signal calibration: a case study with oxygen isotopic composition of tropical woods. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 8: Q07008. .
- 2004. A stable isotope-based approach to tropical dendroclimatology. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta, 68: 3295–3305. , .
- 2005. On the isotopic composition of leaf water in the non-steady state. Functional Plant Biology 32: 293–303. , .
- 1993. Carbon and oxygen isotope effects in the exchange of carbon dioxide between terrestrial plants and the atmosphere. In: Ehleringer JR, Hall AE, Farquhar GD, eds. Stable isotopes and plant carbon/water relations. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 47–70. , .
- 2009. Effect of water availability on leaf water isotopic enrichment in beech seedlings shows limitations of current fractionation models. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1285–1296. , , , , , .
- 2005. Carbon and oxygen isotope ratios in wood constituents of Pinus halepensis as indicators of precipitation, temperature and vapor pressure deficit. Tellus 57B: 164–173. , .
- 1991. Comparison of modeled and observed environmental-influences on the stable oxygen and hydrogen isotope composition of leaf water in Phaseolus vulgaris L. Plant Physiology 96: 588–596. , , .
- 1994. Effect of changes in leaf water oxygen isotopic composition on discrimination against C18O16O during photosynthetic gas-exchange. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 21: 221–234. , , , , .
- 2003. Biophysical ecology. NewYork, NY, USA: Springer-Verlag. .
- 2005. Comparative analysis of cellulose preparation techniques for use with 13C14C18O isotopic measurements. Analytical Chemistry 77: 7212–7224. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Tracing carbon and oxygen isotope signals from newly assimilated sugars in the leaves to the tree-ring archive. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 780–795. , , , , , .
- 1987. Climatic tolerance and the distribution of plants. New Phytologist 106: 113–130. .
- 1976. Climatic information from 18O/16O ratios of cellulose in tree rings. Nature 262: 481. , .
- 1987. Influence of krummholz mat microclimate on needle physiology and survival. Oecologia 73: 82–90. , .
- 2002. Grass blades as tree rings: environmentally induced changes in the oxygen isotope ratio of cellulose along the length of grass blades. New Phytologist 155: 417–424. , .
- 2008. Subtropical to boreal convergence of tree-leaf temperatures. Nature 454: 511–514. , .
- 2005. Very high resolution interpolated climate surfaces for global land areas. International Journal of Climatology 25: 1965–1978. , , , , .
- 2003. Humidity estimate for the middle Eocene Arctic rain forest. Geology 31: 463–466. , .
- 1986. Stomatal control of transpiration: scaling up from leaf to region. Advances in Ecological Research 15: 1–49. , .
- 2011. Cellulose δ18O is an index of leaf-to-air vapor pressure difference (VPD) in tropical plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 1981–1986. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Modern isotope climatology of Russia: a first assessment. Journal of Geophysical Research 109: D03102. , , , .
- 2007. Tree species diversity affects canopy leaf temperatures in a mature temperate forest. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 146: 29–37. , .
- 1976. Isotopic tree thermometers. Nature 261: 284–288. , , , , , .
- 2004. Stable isotopes in tree rings. Quaternary Science Reviews 23: 771–801. , .
- 2002. A high-resolution data set of surface climate over global land areas. Climate Research 21: 1–25. , , , .
- 2009. A single-substrate model to interpret intra-annual stable isotope signals in tree-ring cellulose. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1071–1090. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Seasonal variation in the energy and water exchanges above and below a larch forest in eastern Siberia. Hydrological Processes 15: 1459–1476. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Comparisons of measured and modeled variations in pinon pine leaf water isotope enrichment across a summer moisture gradient. Oecologia 145: 605–618. , , .
- 2009. Climatic signals in δ13C and δ18O of tree-rings from white spruce in the Mackenzie Delta region, northern Canada. Arctic Antarctic and Alpine Research 41: 497–505. , , , .
- 2004. Resolving seasonality in tropical trees: multi-decade, high-resolution oxygen and carbon isotopic records from Indonesia and Thailand. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 218: 301–316. , , .
- 2005. Seasonally-resolved stable isotope chronologies from northern Thailand deciduous trees. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 235: 752–765. , .
- 1986. Climatic correlations in the stable isotope records of silver fir (Abiespindrow) trees from Kashmir, India. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 79: 66–74. , , .
- 2009. Bulk Leaf δ18O and δ13C reflect the intensity of intraspecific competition for water in a semi-arid tussock grassland. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 1346–1356. , , .
- 2003. To what extent can oxygen isotopes in tree rings and precipitation be used to reconstruct past atmospheric temperature? A case study. Climatic Change 61: 237–248. , , .
- 2008. Continental-scale patterns in modern wood cellulose δ18O: implications for interpreting paleo-wood cellulose δ18O. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 72: 2735–2743. , , , .
- 2008. Environmental effects on oxygen isotope enrichment of leaf water in cotton leaves. Plant Physiology 146: 729–736. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Oxygen isotope ratios of oak in east England: implications for reconstructing the isotopic composition of precipitation. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 191: 21–31. , , , , .
- 1999. Hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios of tree-ring cellulose for riparian trees grown long-term under hydroponically controlled environments. Oecologia 121: 467–477. , .
- 2000. Hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios of tree ring cellulose for field-grown riparian trees. Oecologia 123: 481–489. , .
- 2000. A mechanistic model for interpretation of hydrogen and oxygen isotope ratios in tree-ring cellulose. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 64: 21–35. , , .
- 1997. δ18O of tree rings of beech (Fagus silvatica) as a record of δ18O of the growing season precipitation. Tellus Series B-Chemical and Physical Meteorology 49: 80–92. , , .
- 2002. Spatial and temporal oxygen isotope trends at the northern tree-line in Eurasia. Geophysical Research Letters 29: 10–14. , , , , .
- 2000. Linking stable oxygen and carbon isotopes with stomatal conductance and photosynthetic capacity: a conceptual model. Oecologia 125: 350–357. , , , .
- 1994. Relationships among maximum stomatal conductance, ecosystem surface conductance, carbon assimilation rate, and plant nitrogen nutrition – a global ecology scaling exercise. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 25: 629–660. , , , , .
- 2006. Non-steady state effects in diurnal 18O discrimination by Picea sitchensis branches in the field. Plant, Cell & Environment 29: 928–939. , , , .
- 1988. Shoot structural effects on needle temperatures and photosynthesis in conifers. American Journal of Botany 75: 496–500. , .
- 2009. Progress in coupling plant form and photosynthetic function. Castanea 74: 1–26. , .
- 1989. Oxygen and hydrogen isotope ratios in plant cellulose: mechanisms and applications. In: Rundel PW, Ehleringer JR, Nagy KA, eds. Stable isotope in ecological research, Ecological studies. NewYork, NY, USA: Springer Verlag, 124–141. .
- 2009. Oxygen stable isotope ratios of tree-ring cellulose: the next phase of understanding. New Phytologist 181: 553–562. .
- 1983. Biogeochemical implications of the isotopic equilibrium fractionation factor between the oxygen atoms of acetone and water. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 47: 2271–2274. , .
- 2007. Oxygen isotope ratios of cellulose-derived phenylglucosazone: an improved paleoclimate indicator of environmental water and relative humidity. Geochimica Et Cosmochimica Acta 71: 2463–2473. , , , , , .
- 2006. The twentieth century was the wettest period in northern Pakistan over the past millennium. Nature 440: 1179–1182. , , , , , , .
- 2008. A simplified GIS approach to modeling global leaf water isoscapes. PLoS ONE 3: e2447. , , .
- 2008. Forest air conditioning. Nature 454: 422–423. .
- 1990. Oxygen and hydrogen isotope fractionation during cellulose metabolism in Lemna gibba L. Plant Physiology 93: 325–332. , .
- 2000. Canopy transpiration in a chronosequence of Central Siberian pine forests. Global Change Biology 6: 25–37. , , , , .