Safety and streamlining of woody shoots in wind: an empirical study across 39 species in tropical Australia
Article first published online: 14 OCT 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 1, pages 137–149, January 2012
How to Cite
Butler, D. W., Gleason, S. M., Davidson, I., Onoda, Y. and Westoby, M. (2012), Safety and streamlining of woody shoots in wind: an empirical study across 39 species in tropical Australia. New Phytologist, 193: 137–149. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03887.x
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 14 OCT 2011
- Received: 27 April 2011, Accepted: 12 August 2011
- 2010. The role of wood mass density and mechanical constraints in the economy of tree architecture. American Naturalist 175: 250–260. , .
- 1997. Correlating stem biomechanical properties of Hawaiian canopy trees with hurricane wind damage. Biotropica 29: 145–150. , .
- 2008. Growth and wood density predict tree mortality in Amazon forests. Journal of Ecology 96: 281–292. , , , , , .
- 2009. Towards a worldwide wood economics spectrum. Ecology Letters 12: 351–366. , , , , , .
- 2008. Wood density predicts plant damage and vegetative recovery rates caused by cyclone disturbance in tropical rainforest tree species of North Queensland, Australia. Austral Ecology 33: 442–450. , , , .
- 2007a. Hurricanes and the urban forest: I. Effects on southeastern united states coastal plain tree species. Arboriculture and Urban Forestry 33: 83–97. , , .
- 2007b. Hurricanes and the urban forest: II. Effects on tropical and subtropical tree species. Arboriculture and Urban Forestry 33: 98–112. , , , .
- 2000. Comparison of hurricane damage to several species of urban trees in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Journal of Arboriculture 26: 189–196. .
- 2008. A review of mechanistic modeling of wind damage risk to forests. Forestry 81: 447–463. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Wood mechanics, allometry, and life-history variation in a tropical rain forest tree community. New Phytologist 171: 367–378. , , .
- 2008. Cyclone effects on the structure and production of a tropical upland rainforest: implications for life-history tradeoffs. Ecosystems 11: 1277–1290. , , , , .
- 1977. Population biology of plants. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 2008. Crown reconfiguration and trunk stress in deciduous trees. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 38: 1275–1289. , , , .
- 2006. Drag coefficients and crown area estimation of red maple. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 36: 1951–1958. , .
- 2006. The role of wood density and stem support costs in the growth and mortality of tropical trees. Journal of Ecology 94: 670–680. , , , .
- 2009. Costs of height gain in rainforest saplings: main-stem scaling, functional traits and strategy variation across 75 species. Annals of Botany 104: 987–993. , .
- 2008. Effects of wind on plants. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 40: 141–168. .
- 1973. Some drag coefficients for British forest trees derived from wind tunnel studies. Agricultural Meteorology 12: 123–130. .
- 1973. Size and shape in biology. Science 179: 1201–1204. .
- 1991. Dynamics of swaying Picea sitchensis. Tree Physiology 9: 383–399. .
- 1992. Plant biomechanics: an engineering approach to plant form and function. Chicago, IL, USA: The University of Chicago Press. .
- 2000. Computing factors of safety against wind-induced tree stem damage. Journal of Experimental Botany 345: 797–806. .
- 2010. Worldwide correlations of mechanical properties and green wood density. American Journal of Botany 97: 1587–1594. , .
- 2001. Evolutionary trends in safety factors against wind induced stem failure. American Journal of Botany 88: 1266–1278. , .
- 2010. The relationship between stem biomechanics and wood density is modified by rainfall in 32 Australian woody plant species. New Phytologist 185: 493–501. , , .
- 2007. Variation in wood density, wood water content, stem growth and mortality among twenty-seven tree species in a tropical rainforest on Borneo Island. Austral Ecology 32: 191–201. , , , .
- 1983. Uprooting and snapping of trees: structural determinants and ecological consequences. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 13: 1011–1020. , , , , .
- R Development Core Team. 2010. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing.
- Rasband W. 2009. Image J 1.41o. National Institutes of Health, Maryland, USA.
- 2004. Wind tunnel measurements of crown streamlining and drag relationships for three conifer species. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 34: 666–676. , , .
- 2009. Crown structure and wood properties: influence on tree sway and response to high winds. American Journal of Botany 96: 885–896. , .
- 1984. Drag and flexibility in sessile organisms. American Zoologist 24: 37–44. .
- 1989. Drag and reconfiguration of broad leaves in high winds. Journal of Experimental Botany 40: 941–948. .
- 1996. Blowing in the wind: storm-resisting features of the design of trees. Journal of Arboriculture 22: 92–98. .
- 2005. Wind tunnel measurements of crown streamlining and drag relationships for several hardwood species. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35: 1238–1249. , , , , .
- 1976. Mechanical design in organisms. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. , , , .
- 2006. Bivariate line-fitting methods for allometry. Biological Review 81: 259–291. , , , .
- 1992. A more rational climatic moisture index. Professional Geographer 44: 84–87. , .
- 2010. Functional traits and the growth-mortality tradeoff in tropical trees. Ecology 91: 3664–3674. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Vulnerability to strong winds for major tree species in a northern Japanese mixed forest: analysis of historical data. Ecological Research 24: 909–919. , .
- 1994. Responses of tree species to hurricane winds in subtropical wet forest in Puerto Rico: implications for tropical tree life histories. Journal of Ecology 82: 911–922. , , , , , .