Characterization of metabolite quantitative trait loci and metabolic networks that control glucosinolate concentration in the seeds and leaves of Brassica napus
Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 1, pages 96–108, January 2012
How to Cite
Feng, J., Long, Y., Shi, L., Shi, J., Barker, G. and Meng, J. (2012), Characterization of metabolite quantitative trait loci and metabolic networks that control glucosinolate concentration in the seeds and leaves of Brassica napus. New Phytologist, 193: 96–108. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03890.x
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 4 OCT 2011
- Received: 7 July 2011, Accepted: 15 August 2011
- 2001. Seasonal variation in leaf glucosinolates and insect resistance in two types of Barbarea vulgaris ssp. arcuata. Phytochemistry 58: 91–100. , , .
- 2004. BioMercator: integrating genetic maps and QTL towards discovery of candidate genes. Bioinformatics 20: 2324–2326. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Novel insights into seed fatty acid synthesis and modification pathways from genetic diversity and quantitative trait loci analysis of the Brassica C genome. Plant Physiology 144: 1827–1842. , , , , .
- 2009. Fine mapping of loci involved with glucosinolate biosynthesis in oilseed mustard (Brassica juncea) using genomic information from allied species. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 118: 413–421. , , , , , , , .
- 2001a. Update on glucosinolate metabolism and transport. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 39: 743–758. , .
- 2003. CYP79F1 and CYP79F2 have distinct functions in the biosynthesis of aliphatic glucosinolates in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 33: 923–937. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Characterization of glucosinolate uptake by leaf protoplasts of Brassica napus. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 22955–22960. , .
- 2001b. Long-distance phloem transport of glucosinolates in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 127: 194–201. , , , , .
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 138: 963–971. , .
- 2010. Roles for glutathione transferases in plant secondary metabolism. Phytochemistry 71: 338–350. , , .
- 1998. Biosynthesis of glucosinolates in the developing silique walls and seeds of Sinapis alba. Phytochemistry 48: 1145–1150. , .
- 2001. The chemical diversity and distribution of glucosinolates and isothiocyanates among plants. Phytochemistry 56: 5–51. , , .
- 1980. Rapeseed meal and its use in poultry diets: a review. Animal Feed Science and Technology 5: 255–259. , .
- 2007. MetaNetwork: a computational protocol for the genetic study of metabolic networks. Nature Protocols 2: 685–694. , , , .
- 2009. The plastidic bile acid transporter 5 is required for the biosynthesis of methionine-derived glucosinolates in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 21: 1813–1829. , , , , , .
- 2000. Quantitative trait loci: a meta-analysis. Genetics 155: 463–473. , .
- 1998. Antinutritional compounds in the Brassicaceae: analysis, biosynthesis, chemistry and dietary effects. Journal of Horticultural Science and Biotechnology 73: 1–18. , , .
- 2006. Glucosinolate metabolism and its control. Trends in Plant Science 11: 89–100. , .
- 2006. Biology and biochemistry of glucosinolates. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 303–333. , .
- 2008. A novel 2-oxoacid-dependent dioxygenase involved in the formation of the goiterogenic 2-hydroxybut-3-enyl glucosinolate and generalist insect resistance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 148: 2096–2108. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Association of gene-linked SSR markers to seed glucosinolate content in oilseed rape (Brassica napus ssp. napus). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 116: 1035–1049. , , , , , .
- 2003. The Arabidopsis ref2 mutant is defective in the gene encoding CYP83A1 and shows both phenylpropanoid and glucosinolate phenotypes. Plant Cell 15: 179–194. , , .
- 2003. Homoeologous loci control the accumulation of seed glucosinolates in oilseed rape (Brassica napus). Genome 46: 454–460. , , .
- 2000. Arabidopsis cytochrome P450s that catalyze the first step of tryptophan-dependent indole-3-acetic acid biosynthesis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 2379–2384. , , .
- 2002. Guard cell- and phloem idioblast-specific expression of thioglucoside glucohydrolase 1 (myrosinase) in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 128: 1180–1188. , , , , .
- 1995. Biosynthesis of glucosinolates by microspore derived embryoids and plantlets in vitro of Brassica napus L. Plant Science 112: 107–115. , , .
- ISO9167-1. 1992. Rapeseed-determination of glucosinolates content. Part 1: method using gradient elution high-performance liquid chromatography. Switzerland, Europe: International Organization for Standardization.
- 2006. The genetics of plant metabolism. Nature Genetics 38: 842–849. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Quantitative genetics in the age of omics. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 123–128. , , .
- 2001a. Comparative quantitative trait loci mapping of aliphatic, indolic and benzylic glucosinolate production in Arabidopsis thaliana leaves and seeds. Genetics 159: 359–370. , , .
- 2001b. Genetic control of natural variation in Arabidopsis glucosinolate accumulation. Plant Physiology 126: 811–825. , , , , , , .
- 2001c. Gene duplication in the diversification of secondary metabolism: tandem 2-oxoglutarate-dependent dioxygenases control glucosinolate biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 13: 681–693. , , , , .
- 2006. Identification of QTLs controlling gene expression networks defined a priori. BMC Bioinformatics 7: 308. , , , , , .
- 1970. Inheritance of the major glucosinolates of rapeseed (Brassica napus) meal. Canadian Journal of Plant Science 50: 643–647. , .
- 2003. Gene for gene alignment between the Brassica and Arabidopsis genomes by direct transcriptome mapping. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 107: 168–180. , , , .
- 2001. Sequence-related amplified polymorphism (SRAP), a new marker system based on a simple PCR reaction: its application to mapping and gene tagging in Brassica. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 103: 455–461. , .
- 2002. Genetic analysis, expression and molecular characterization of BoGSL-ELONG, a major gene involved in the aliphatic glucosinolate pathway of Brassica species. Genetics 162: 1937–1943. , .
- 2003. In planta side-chain glucosinolate modification in Arabidopsis by introduction of dioxygenase Brassica homolog BoGSL-ALK. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 106: 1116–1121. , .
- 1999. Variation in the glucosinolate content of vegetative tissues of Chinese lines of Brassica napus L. Annals of Applied Biology 134: 131–136. , , , , .
- 2007. Flowering time quantitative trait loci analysis of oilseed brassica in multiple environments and genomewide alignment with Arabidopsis. Genetics 177: 2433–2444. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Quantitative trait loci for glucosinolate accumulation in Brassica rapa leaves. New Phytologist 179: 1017–1032. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Modulation of CYP79 genes and glucosinolate profiles in Arabidopsis by defense signaling pathways. Plant Physiology 131: 298–308. , , , , , .
- 2002. Biosynthesis and metabolic engineering of glucosinolates. Amino Acids 22: 279–295. , , , .
- 1992. Leaf glucosinolate profiles and their relationship to pest and disease resistance in oilseed rape. Euphytica 63: 71–83. .
- 2009. Disruption of adenosine-5′-phosphosulfate kinase in Arabidopsis reduces levels of sulfated secondary metabolites. Plant Cell 21: 910–927. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Variation of glucosinolates in vegetable crops of Brassica rapa. Phytochemistry 68: 536–545. , , , , .
- 2006. A comparative linkage map of oilseed rape and its use for QTL analysis of seed oil and erucic acid content. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 114: 67–80. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Quantitative trait analysis of seed yield and other complex traits in hybrid spring rapeseed (Brassica napus L.): 1. Identification of genomic regions from winter germplasm. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 113: 549–561. , , , .
- 2007. QTL analysis reveals context-dependent loci for seed glucosinolate trait in the oilseed Brassica juncea: importance of recurrent selection backcross scheme for the identification of ‘true’ QTL. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 116: 77–85. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Bus, a bushy Arabidopsis CYP79F1 knockout mutant with abolished synthesis of short-chain aliphatic glucosinolates. Plant Cell 13: 351–367. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Omics-based approaches to methionine side chain elongation in Arabidopsis: characterization of the genes encoding methylthioalkylmalate isomerase and methylthioalkylmalate dehydrogenase. Plant and Cell Physiology 50: 1181–1190. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Mapping the mosaic of ancestral genotypes in a cultivar of oilseed rape (Brassica napus) selected via pedigree breeding. Genome 46: 461–468. , .
- 2009. Unraveling the complex trait of crop yield with quantitative trait loci mapping in Brassica napus. Genetics 182: 851–861. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Biosynthesis of glucosinolates--gene discovery and beyond. Trends in Plant Science 15: 283–290. , , .
- 2001. Phytochemicals from cruciferous plants protect against cancer by modulating carcinogen metabolism. Journal of Nutrition 131: 3027–3033. , .
- 2001. Study of the role of antimicrobial glucosinolate-derived isothiocyanates in resistance of Arabidopsis to microbial pathogens. Plant Physiology 125: 1688–1699. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. RFLP mapping of quantitative trait loci controlling seed aliphatic glucosinolate content in oilseed rape (Brassica napus L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics 91: 802–808. , , , .
- 1995. Mapping the genome of rapeseed (Brassica napus L.). I. Construction of an RFLP linkage map and localization of QTLs for seed glucosinolate content. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 90: 194–204. , , , .
- 2005. Biofumigant compounds released by field pennycress (Thlaspi arvense) seedmeal. Journal of Chemical Ecology 31: 167–177. , , , .
- 1999. Mapping QTLs with epistatic effects and QTL X environment interactions by mixed linear model approaches. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 99: 1255–1264. , , , .
- 2004. Guidelines for glucosinolate analysis in green tissues used for biofumigation. Agroindustria 3: 257–266. , , , , , .
- 2007. Linking metabolic QTLs with network and cis-eQTLs controlling biosynthetic pathways. PLoS Genetics 3: 1687–1701. , , , , , .
- 2005. Geographic and evolutionary diversification of glucosinolates among near relatives of Arabidopsis thaliana (Brassicaceae). Phytochemistry 66: 1321–1333. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Status and perspectives of breeding for enhanced yield and quality of oilseed crops for Europe. Euphytica 170: 131–140. , , .
- 2010. Genes of primary sulfate assimilation are part of the glucosinolate biosynthetic network in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 62: 1–11. , , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Precision mapping of quantitative trait loci. Genetics 136: 1457–1468. .
- 2008. Mapping QTL controlling fatty acid composition in a doubled haploid rapeseed population segregating for oil content. Molecular Breeding 21: 115–125. , , , , .
- 2003. Detection of loci controlling seed glucosinolate content and their association with Sclerotinia resistance in Brassica napus. Plant Breeding 122: 19–23. , .
- 2002. The role and effects of glucosinolates of Brassica species- a review. Rostlinna Vyroba – UZPI 48: 175–180. , .