These authors contributed equally to this work.
OsARF12, a transcription activator on auxin response gene, regulates root elongation and affects iron accumulation in rice (Oryza sativa)
Article first published online: 4 OCT 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 1, pages 109–120, January 2012
How to Cite
Qi, Y., Wang, S., Shen, C., Zhang, S., Chen, Y., Xu, Y., Liu, Y., Wu, Y. and Jiang, D. (2012), OsARF12, a transcription activator on auxin response gene, regulates root elongation and affects iron accumulation in rice (Oryza sativa). New Phytologist, 193: 109–120. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03910.x
These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 4 OCT 2011
- Received: 15 July 2011, Accepted: 18 August 2011
- 2009. Antisense phenotypes reveal a functional expression of OsARF1, an auxin response factor, in transgenic rice. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 29–34. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. A morphogenetic trigger: is there an emerging concept in plant developmental biology? Trends in Plant Science 14: 189–193. , , , , .
- 2010. JAGGED LATERAL ORGAN (JLO) controls auxin dependent patterning during development of the Arabidopsis embryo and root. Plant Molecular Biology 74: 479–491. , , , .
- 2005. Auxin-dependent cell division and cell elongation. 1-Naphthaleneacetic acid and 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid activate different pathways. Plant Physiology 137: 939–948. , .
- 2008. Firefly luciferase complementation imaging assay for protein–protein interactions in plants. Plant Physiology 146: 368–376. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Auxin biosynthesis by the YUCCA flavin monooxygenases controls the formation of floral organs and vascular tissues in Arabidopsis. Genes and Development 20: 1790–1799. , , .
- 2007a. Mutation in nicotianamine aminotransferase stimulated the Fe(II) acquisition system and led to iron accumulation in rice. Plant Physiology 145: 1647–1657. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007b. Auxin synthesized by the YUCCA flavin monooxygenases is essential for embryogenesis and leaf formation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 2430–2439. , , .
- 2010. Bimodular auxin response controls organogenesis in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 107: 2705–2710. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Auxin regulates distal stem cell differentiation in Arabidopsis roots. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 107: 12046–12051. , .
- 1996. A novel iron-regulated metal transporter from plants identified by functional expression in yeast. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 93: 5624–5628. , , , .
- 2002. AtPIN4 mediates sink-driven auxin gradients and root patterning in Arabidopsis. Cell 108: 661–673. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Hormone interactions during lateral root formation. Plant Molecular Biology 69: 437–449. , .
- 2011. Root-targeted biotechnology to mediate hormonal signalling and improve crop stress tolerance. Plant Cell Reports 30: 807–823. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Auxin response factors. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 453–460. , .
- 1998. The Arabidopsis gene MONOPTEROS encodes a transcription factor mediating embryo axis formation and vascular development. EMBO Journal 17: 1405–1411. , .
- 1994. Efficient transformation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) mediated by Agrobacterium and sequence analysis of the boundaries of the T-DNA. Plant Journal 6: 271–282. , , , .
- 2009. Rice OsYSL15 is an iron-regulated iron(III)-deoxymugineic acid transporter expressed in the roots and is essential for iron uptake in early growth of the seedlings. Biology Chemistry 284: 3470–3479. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Crown rootless1, which is essential for crown root formation in rice, is a target of an AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR in auxin signaling. Plant Cell 17: 1387–1396. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Rice-specific mitochondrial iron-regulated gene (MIR) plays an important role in iron homeostasis. Molecular Plant 2: 1059–1066. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Identification of a novel mitochondrial protein, short postembryonic roots 1 (SPR1), involved in root development and iron homeostasis in Oryza sativa. New Phytologist 189: 843–855. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. A novel short-root gene encodes a glucosamine-6-phosphate acetyltransferase required for maintaining normal root cell shape in rice. Plant Physiology 138: 232–242. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. The evolving complexity of the auxin pathway. Plant Cell 20: 1738–1746. , , .
- 2005. Sites and regulation of auxin biosynthesis in Arabidopsis roots. Plant Cell 17: 1090–1104. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The role of nutrient availability in regulating root architecture. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 280–287. , , .
- 2010. A plausible mechanism for auxin patterning along the developing root. BMC Systems Biology 4: 98. , , , , , , .
- 2011. OsIRO2 is responsible for iron utilization in rice and improves growth and yield in calcareous soil. Plant Molecular Biology 75: 593–605. , , , , , .
- 2005. Functional genomic analysis of the AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR gene family members in Arabidopsis thaliana: unique and overlapping functions of ARF7 and ARF19. Plant Cell 17: 444–463. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Arabidopsis lateral root development: an emerging story. Trends in Plant Science 14: 399–408. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Contrasting modes of diversification in the Aux/IAA and ARF gene families. Plant Physiology 135: 1738–1752. , , , .
- 2011. TFL2/LHP1 is involved in auxin biosynthesis through positive regulation of YUCCA genes. Plant Journal 65: 897–906. , , , , .
- 1999. An auxin-dependent distal organizer of pattern and polarity in the Arabidopsis root. Cell 99: 463–472. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. MONOPTEROS controls embryonic root initiation by regulating a mobile transcription factor. Nature 464: 913–916. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Functional analysis of the structural domain of ARF proteins in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 3971–3981. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. TAA1- mediated auxin biosynthesis is essential for hormone crosstalk and plant development. Cell 133: 177–191. , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The roles of auxin response factor domains in auxin-responsive transcription. Plant Cell 15: 533–543. , , .
- 2003. The beta-subunit of the Arabidopsis G protein negatively regulates auxin-induced cell division and affects multiple developmental processes. Plant Cell 15: 393–409. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. ARF1, a transcription factor that binds auxin response elements. Science 276: 1865–1868. , , .
- 1999. Activation and repression of transcription by auxin-response factors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 96: 5844–5849. , , .
- 1992. Nuclear localization signal(s) required for nuclear targeting of the maize regulatory protein Opaque-2. Plant Cell 4: 1213–1227. , , .
- 2011. AUXIN RESPONSE FACTOR8 Regulates Arabidopsis Petal Growth by Interacting with the bHLH Transcription Factor BIGPETALp. Plant Cell 23: 973–983. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Protocol: a highly sensitive RT-PCR method for detection and quantification of microRNAs. Plant Methods 3: 12. , , , , .
- 2010. Auxin-related gene families in abiotic stress response in Sorghum bicolor. Functional and Integrative Genomics 10: 533–546. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Expression of PIN genes in rice (Oryza sativa L.): tissue specificity and regulation by hormones. Molecular Plant 2: 823–831. , , , , , .
- 2007. Genome-wide analysis of the auxin response factor (ARF) gene family in rice (Oryza sativa). Gene 394: 13–24. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Control of root cap formation by MicroRNA-targeted auxin response factors in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 17: 2204–2216. , , , , , .
- 2010. Root-Specific Reduction of Cytokinin Causes Enhanced Root Growth, Drought Tolerance, and Leaf Mineral Enrichment in Arabidopsis and Tobacco. Plant Cell 22: 3905–3920. , , , , , , .
- 2005. NPH4/ARF7 and ARF19 promote leaf expansion and auxin-induced lateral root formation. Plant Journal 43: 118–130. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Over-expression of mango (Mangifera indica L.) MiARF2 inhibits root and hypocotyl growth of Arabidopsis. Molecular Biology Reports 38: 3189–3194. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Evidence of an auxin signal pathway, microRNA167-ARF8-GH3, and its response to exogenous auxin in cultured rice cells. Nucleic Acids Research 34: 1892–1899. , , , .
- 2008. The role of local biosynthesis of auxin and cytokinin in plant development. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 16–22. .