Rice DUR3 mediates high-affinity urea transport and plays an effective role in improvement of urea acquisition and utilization when expressed in Arabidopsis
Version of Record online: 19 OCT 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 2, pages 432–444, January 2012
How to Cite
Wang, W.-H., Köhler, B., Cao, F.-Q., Liu, G.-W., Gong, Y.-Y., Sheng, S., Song, Q.-C., Cheng, X.-Y., Garnett, T., Okamoto, M., Qin, R., Mueller-Roeber, B., Tester, M. and Liu, L.-H. (2012), Rice DUR3 mediates high-affinity urea transport and plays an effective role in improvement of urea acquisition and utilization when expressed in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 193: 432–444. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03929.x
- Issue online: 20 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 19 OCT 2011
- Received: 19 July 2011, Accepted: 5 September 2011
- 2010. Identification and characterisation of proteins involved in rice urea and arginine catabolism. Plant Physiology 154: 98–108. , , , , , .
- 1993. Use of urease inhibitors to reduce ammonia loss following application of urea to flooded rice fields. Plant and Soil 156: 371–373. , , , .
- 1999. Aquaporin Nt-TIPa can account for the high permeability of tobacco cell vacuolar membrane to small neutral solutes. Plant Journal 18: 577–587. , , , .
- 1998. Influence of N and Ni supply on urease activity in rice. Journal Experimental Botany 49: 1545–1554. , , .
- 2004. Biochemical backgrounds of compartmentalized functions of cytosolic glutamine synthetase for active ammonium assimilation in rice roots. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 1640–1647. , , , , .
- 1992. Nitrate and ammonium uptake by maize: adaptation during relief from nitrogen suppression. New Phytologist 122: 439–446. , .
- 2008. Overexpression of gene encoding tonoplast intrinsic aquaporin promotes urea transport in Arabidopsis. Journal of Applied Biological Chemistry 51: 102–110. , , , , .
- 2003. Normalization of reverse transcription quantitative-PCR with housekeeping genes in rice. Biotechnology Letters 25: 1869–1872. , , , , .
- 2001. Real time visualization of 13N-translocation in rice under different environmental conditions using positron emitting tracer imaging system. Plant Physiology 125: 1743–1753. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. A defect in the yeast plasma membrane urea transporter Dur3p is complemented by CpNIP1, a Nod26-like protein from zucchini (Cucurbita pepo L.) and by Arabidopsis thalianaδ-TIP or γ-TIP. FEBS Letters 547: 69–74. , , .
- 2007. AtDUR3 represents the major transporter for high-affinity urea transport across the plasma membrane of nitrogen-deficient Arabidopsis roots. Plant Journal 52: 30–40. , , , , .
- 2006. Molecular mechanisms of urea transport in plants. Journal of Membrane Biology 212: 83–91. , , .
- 1975. Mitochondrial arginase activity from cotyledons of developing and germinating seeds of Vicia faba L. Plant Physiology 55: 507–510. , .
- 1998. Effects of hypoxia on 13NH4+ fluxes in rice roots. Kinetics and compartmental analysis. Plant Physiology 116: 581–587. , , , .
- 2003. Differential expression of three members of the AMT1 gene family encoding putative high-affinity NH transporters in roots of Oryza sativa subspecies indica. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 907–914. , , , , .
- 2000. Urea transport by cotransporters. Journal of Physiology 528: 251–257. , , , , .
- 2002. Genetic and physiological analysis of germination efficiency in maize in relation to nitrogen metabolism reveals the importance of cytosolic glutamine synthetase. Plant Physiology 130: 1860–1870. , , , , .
- 2007. High-efficiency thermal asymmetric interlaced PCR for amplification of unknown flanking sequences. BioTechniques 43: 649–656. , .
- 2003a. AtDUR3 encodes a new type of high affinity urea/H+ symporter in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 15: 790–800. , , , .
- 2003b. Urea transport by nitrogen-regulated tonoplast intrinsic proteins in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 133: 1220–1228. , , , , .
- 2008. Plant aquaporins: membrane channels with multiple integrated functions. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 595–624. , , , .
- 2008b. Urea use efficiency of hydroponically grown maize and wheat plants. Journal of Plant Nutrition 31: 427–443. , , , , .
- 2008a. Physiological and transcriptomic aspects of urea uptake and assimilation in Arabidopsis plants. Plant Physiology 147: 1225–1238. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Root nitrogen acquisition and assimilation. Plant and Soil 274: 1–36. , .
- 2008. Characterization and regulation of PiDur3, a permease involved in the acquisition of urea by the ectomycorrhizal fungus Paxillus involutus. Fungal Genetics and Biology 45: 912–921. , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of the nitrate transporter gene AtNRT2.1 in Arabidopsis thaliana: responses to nitrate, amino acids, and developmental stage. Plant Molecular Biology 52: 689–703. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Roles of urease in plant cells. International Review of Cytology 145: 65–103. , .
- 1999. Improving nitrogen use efficiency for cereal production. Agronomy Journal 91: 357–363. , .
- 1999. Absorption of molecular urea by rice under flooded and non-flooded soil conditions. Plant and Soil 208: 161–166. , , , .
- 2003. Distinct expression and function of three ammonium transporter genes (OsAMT1;1-1;3) in rice. Plant and Cell Physiology 44: 726–734. , , , , , .
- 1991. Genetic test of the roles of the embryonic urease of soybean. Plant Physiology 97: 1004–1010. , , , .
- 2000. The role of three functional sulfate transporters involved in uptake and translocation of sulfate in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 23: 171–182. , , , , , .
- 2007. Polyamine uptake by DUR3 and SAM3 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Journal of Biological Chemistry 282: 7733–7741. , , .
- 2008. Molecular and physiological aspects of urea transport in higher plants. Plant Science 175: 467–477. , , , .
- 1994. Soil properties and the ability of the urease inhibitor N-(n-butyl) thiophosphoric triamide (nBTPT) to reduce ammonia volatilization from surface-applied urea. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 26: 1165–1171. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Leaf urea metabolism in potato. Urease activity profiles and patterns of recovery and distribution of 15N after foliar urea application in wild-type and urease-antisense transgenics. Plant Physiology 128: 1129–1136. , , , .