Root aeration via aerenchymatous phellem: three-dimensional micro-imaging and radial O2 profiles in Melilotus siculus
Article first published online: 26 OCT 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 2, pages 420–431, January 2012
How to Cite
Verboven, P., Pedersen, O., Herremans, E., Ho, Q. T., Nicolaï, B. M., Colmer, T. D. and Teakle, N. (2012), Root aeration via aerenchymatous phellem: three-dimensional micro-imaging and radial O2 profiles in Melilotus siculus. New Phytologist, 193: 420–431. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03934.x
- Issue published online: 20 DEC 2011
- Article first published online: 26 OCT 2011
- Received: 1 August 2011, Accepted: 8 September 2011
- 2003. Oxygen distribution and movement, respiration and nutrient loading in banana roots (Musa spp. L.) subjected to aerated and oxygen-depleted environments. Plant and Soil 253: 91–102. , , , , .
- 1979. Aeration in higher plants. Advances in Botanical Research 7: 225–332. .
- 1987. Internal aeration and development of stelar anoxia in submerged roots: a multishelled mathematical model combining axial diffusion of oxygen in the cortex with radial losses to the stele, the wall layers and the rhizosphere. New Phytologist 105: 221–245. , .
- 2010. Experimental and modelling data contradict the idea of respiratory down-regulation in plant tissues at an internal [O2] substantially above the critical oxygen pressure for cytochrome oxidase. New Phytologist 190: 431–441. , .
- 1991. Modelling and other aspects of root aeration by diffusion. In: Jackson MB, Davies DD, Lambers H, eds. Plant life under oxygen deprivation. The Hague, the Netherlands: SPB Academic Publishing, 267–282. , , , .
- 1994. Micro-electrode and modelling study of oxygen distribution in roots. Annals of Botany 74: 287–299. , , , .
- 2008. Flooding stress: acclimations and genetic diversity. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 313–339. , .
- 2003. Antioxidants, oxidative damage and oxygen deprivation stress: a review. Annals of Botany 91: 179–194. , , .
- 2006. Quantitative phase tomography of Arabidopsis seeds reveals intercellular void network. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 103: 14626–14630. , , , .
- 2003. Long distance transport of gases in plants: a perspective on internal aeration and radial oxygen loss from roots. Plant, Cell & Environment 26: 17–36. .
- 2011. Ion transport in seminal and adventitious roots of cereals during O2 deficiency. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 39–57. , .
- 2008. Underwater photosynthesis and respiration in leaves of submerged wetland plants: gas films improve CO2 and O2 exchange. New Phytologist 177: 918–926. , .
- 2009. Flooding tolerance: suites of plant traits in variable environments. Functional Plant Biology 6: 665–681. , .
- 2010. Plant structure visualization by high-resolution X-ray computed tomography. Trends in Plant Sciences 15: 419–422. , , , , .
- 2000. Programmed cell death and aerenchyma formation in roots. Trends in Plant Science 5: 123–127. , , .
- 2003. Diversity in root aeration traits associated with waterlogging tolerance in the genus Hordeum. Functional Plant Biology 30: 875–889. , , .
- 2001. Waterlogging tolerance among a diverse range of Trifolium accessions is related to root porosity, lateral root formation and ‘aerotropic rooting’. Annals of Botany 88: 579–589. , , , .
- 2003. Mechanisms of anoxia tolerance in plants. I. Growth, survival and anaerobic catabolism. Functional Plant Biology 30: 1–47. , .
- 2009. Microscale mechanisms of gas exchange in fruit tissue. New Phytologist 182: 163–174. , , , , , .
- 2011. A 3-D multiscale model for gas exchange in fruit. Plant Physiology 155: 1158–1168. , , , , , , .
- 2008. A continuum model for gas exchange in pear fruit. PLoS Computational Biology 4: e1000023. , , , , , .
- 2010a. A model for gas transport in pear fruit at multiple scales. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 2071–2081. , , , .
- 2010b. Genotype effects on internal gas gradients in apple fruit. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 2745–2755. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. A permeation–diffusion–reaction model of gas transport in cellular tissue of plant materials. Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 4215–4224. , , , , .
- 1999. Formation of aerenchyma and the processes of plant ventilation in relation to soil flooding and submergence. Plant Biology 1: 274–287. , .
- 1999. Development of N2-fixing nodules on the wetland legume Lotus uliginosus exposed to conditions of flooding. New Phytologist 142: 219–231. , .
- 1987. The anatomical characteristics of roots and plant response to soil flooding. New Phytologist 106: 465–495. , .
- 2002. Similarity and diversity in adventitious root anatomy as related to root aeration among a range of wetland and dryland grass species. Plant, Cell & Environment 25: 441–451. , , .
- 2007. Three-dimensional pore space quantification of apple tissue using X-ray computed microtomography. Planta 226: 559–570. , , , , , .
- 2008. Simultaneous measurement of neon diffusivity and skin resistance of ‘Braeburn’ and ‘Jonica’ apples. Postharvest Biology and Technology 50: 53–63. , , , , , .
- 1983. A method for measuring leaf density, thickness and internal gas. Hortscience 18: 698–699. .
- 1989. An oxygen microsensor with a guard cathode. Limnology and Oceanography 34: 474–478. .
- 2008. Diversity in the genus Melilotus for tolerance to salinity and waterlogging. Plant and Soil 304: 89–101. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Salinity and waterlogging tolerance amongst accessions of messina (Melilotus siculus). Crop and Pasture Science 62: 225–235. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Changes in cell structure during the formation of root aerenchyma in Sagittaria lancifolia (Alismataceae). American Journal of Botany 87: 12–19. , .
- 2005. A re-examination of the root cortex in wetland flowering plants with respect to aerenchyma. Annals of Botany 96: 565–579. , , , , , .
- 2003. Histological observation of secondary aerenchyma formed immediately after flooding in Sesbania cannabina and S. rostrata. Plant and Soil 255: 209–215. , .
- 2003. Formation and function of secondary aerenchyma in hypocotyl, roots and nodules of soybean (Glycine max) under flooded conditions. Plant and Soil 251: 351–359. , , , .
- 2010. Stem hypertrophic lenticels and secondary aerenchyma enable oxygen transport to roots of soybean in flooded soil. Annals of Botany 106: 277–284. , , , , .
- 2008. Role of ethylene in acclimations to promote oxygen transport in roots of plants in waterlogged soils. Plant Science 175: 52–58. , , , .
- 2000. Ecophysiology of wetland plant roots: a modelling comparison of aeration in relation to species distribution. Annals of Botany 86: 675–685. , , , .
- 2002. The aerenchymatous phellem of Lythrum salicaria (L.): a pathway for gas transport and its role in flood tolerance. Annals of Botany 89: 621–625. , , .
- 1997. Morphological and anatomical responses of Lythrum salicaria L. (purple loosestrife) to an imposed water gradient. International Journal of Plant Sciences 158: 172–183. , , .
- 2003. Three-dimensional analysis of plant structure using high-resolution X-ray computed tomography. Trends in Plant Sciences 8: 2–6. , , , , .
- 2010. Lotus tenuis tolerates combined salinity and waterlogging: maintaining O2 transport to roots and expression of an NHX1-like gene contribute to regulation of Na+ transport. Physiologia Plantarum 103: 358–374. , , , .
- 2011. Aerenchymatous phellem in hypocotyl and roots enables O2 transport in Melilotus siculus. New Phytologist 190: 340–350. , , , .
- 2005. Aerenchyma formation and recovery from hypoxia of the flooded root system of nodulated soybean. Annals of Botany 96: 1191–1198. , , .
- 1990. Aerenchyma formation and associated oxygen movement in seminal and nodal roots of wheat. Plant, Cell & Environment 13: 395–403. , , , .
- 2010. The X-factor: visualizing undisturbed root architecture in soils using X-ray computed tomography. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 311–313. , , , , , .
- 1997. Plant adaptations to anaerobic stress. Annals of Botany 79: 3–20. , .
- 2008. 3-D gas exchange pathways in pome fruit characterised by synchrotron X-ray computed tomography. Plant Physiology 147: 518–527. , , , , , , , .
- 1995. An introduction to computational fluid dynamics. Harlow, UK: Longman Scientific & Technical. , .
- 2003. Measurement of porosity in very small samples of plant tissue. Plant and Soil 253: 81–90. , .
- 1983. Nitrogen-fixation by nodulated roots of Viminaria juncea (Schrad. & Wendl.) Hoffmans. (Fabaceae) when submerged in water. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 10: 409–421. , , .
- 1986. A transmission and cryo-scanning electron microscopy study of the formation of aerenchyma (cortical gas-filled space) in adventitious roots of rice (Oryza sativa). Journal of Experimental Botany 37: 832–841. , .
- 1997. The use of agar nutrient solution to simulate lack of convection in waterlogged soils. Annals of Botany 80: 115–123. , , .