Genbank accession number: HM012811
S1 domain-containing STF modulates plastid transcription and chloroplast biogenesis in Nicotiana benthamiana
Version of Record online: 4 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 2, pages 349–363, January 2012
How to Cite
Jeon, Y., Jung, H. J., Kang, H., Park, Y.-I., Lee, S. H. and Pai, H.-S. (2012), S1 domain-containing STF modulates plastid transcription and chloroplast biogenesis in Nicotiana benthamiana. New Phytologist, 193: 349–363. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03941.x
- Issue online: 20 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 4 NOV 2011
- Received: 2 August 2011, Accepted: 19 September 2011
- 2008. Physiological function of IspE, a plastid MEP pathway gene for isoprenoid biosynthesis, in organelle biogenesis and cell morphogenesis in Nicotiana benthamiana. Plant Molecular Biology 66: 503–517. , .
- 2007. The role of the S1 domain in exoribonucleolytic activity: substrate specificity and multimerization. RNA 13: 317–327. , , , .
- 2010. Plastidial thioredoxin z interacts with two fructokinase-like proteins in a thiol-dependent manner: evidence for an essential role in chloroplast development in Arabidopsis and Nicotiana benthamiana. Plant Cell 22: 1498–1515. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Organellar gene transcription and early seedling development are affected in the rpoT; 2 mutant of Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 38: 38–48. , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Approaches to investigating nuclear genes that function in chloroplast biogenesis in land plants. Methods in Enzymology 297: 38–57. .
- 2000. Regulation of plastid rDNA transcription by interaction of CDF2 with two different RNA polymerases. EMBO Journal 19: 1851–1860. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Proteomic analysis of highly purified prolamellar bodies reveals their significance in chloroplast development. Photosynthesis Research 96: 37–50. , , .
- 2005. Bacterial transcription elongation factors: new insights into molecular mechanism of action. Molecular Microbiology 55: 1315–1324. , , .
- 1997. The solution structure of the S1 RNA binding domain: a member of an ancient nucleic acid-binding fold. Cell 88: 235–242. , , , , .
- 1999. The 68 kDa DNA compacting nucleoid protein from soybean chloroplasts inhibits DNA synthesis in vitro. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 835–845. , , , .
- 1997. Identification and purification of a spinach chloroplast DNA-binding protein that interacts specifically with the plastid psaA-psaB-rps14 promoter region. Planta 203: 373–380. , , , .
- 2004. DNA gyrase is involved in chloroplast nucleoid partitioning. Plant Cell 16: 2665–2682. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The Etched1 gene of Zea mays (L.) encodes a zinc ribbon protein that belongs to the transcriptionally active chromosome (TAC) of plastids and is similar to the transcription factor TFIIS. Plant Journal 38: 923–939. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Building up of the plastid transcriptional machinery during germination and early plant development. Plant Physiology 142: 993–1003. , , , , .
- 1999. ChloroP, a neural network-based method for predicting chloroplast transit peptides and their cleavage sites. Protein Science 8: 978–984. , , .
- 1996. A new gene locus of Bordetella pertussis defines a novel family of prokaryotic transcriptional accessory proteins. Journal of Bacteriology 178: 4445–4452. , , , .
- 2009. Transcript elongation factor TFIIS is involved in Arabidopsis seed dormancy. Journal of Molecular Biology 386: 598–611. , , , , , .
- 2001. Control of intrinsic transcription termination by N and NusA: the basic mechanisms. Cell 107: 437–449. , .
- 1997. The two RNA polymerases encoded by the nuclear and the plastid compartments transcribe distinct groups of genes in tobacco plastids. EMBO Journal 16: 4041–4048. , , .
- 2008. Advances in bacterial promoter recognition and its control by factors that do not bind DNA. Nature Reviews Microbiology 6: 507–519. , , .
- 2006. Tex, a putative transcriptional accessory factor, is involved in pathogen fitness in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Microbial Pathogenesis 41: 199–206. , , , .
- 2000. One RNA polymerase serving two genomes. EMBO Reports 1: 435–440. , , .
- 2005. A nuclear-encoded sigma factor, Arabidopsis SIG6, recognizes sigma-70 type chloroplast promoters and regulates early chloroplast development in cotyledons. Plant Journal 42: 133–144. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Crystal structure and RNA binding of the Tex protein from Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Journal of Molecular Biology 377: 1460–1473. , , , , , .
- 2008. Expression of protein complexes and individual proteins upon transition of etioplasts to chloroplasts in pea (Pisum sativum). Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 396–410. , , , , , , .
- 2010. In vivo effects of NbSiR silencing on chloroplast development in Nicotiana benthamiana. Plant Molecular Biology 72: 569–583. , , , , , .
- 2002. A cold-regulated nucleic acid-binding protein of winter wheat shares a domain with bacterial cold shock proteins. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 35248–35256. , , , .
- 2008. Glycine-rich RNA-binding protein 7 affects abiotic stress responses by regulating stomata opening and closing in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 55: 455–466. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cold shock domain proteins and glycine-rich RNA-binding proteins from Arabidopsis thaliana can promote the cold adaptation process in Escherichia coli. Nucleic Acids Research 35: 506–516. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. plprot: a comprehensive proteome database for different plastid types. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: 432–436. , , , .
- 1994. Changes in RNA polymerase activity during development and senescence of barley chloroplasts. Comparative analysis of transcripts synthesized either in run-on assays or by transcriptionally active chromosomes (TAC). Journal of Plant Physiology 143: 298–305. , .
- 2008. Deletion of the chloroplast-localized AtTerC gene product in Arabidopsis thaliana leads to loss of the thylakoid membrane and to seedling lethality. Plant Journal 55: 428–442. , .
- 2009. Dual functions of Nicotiana benthamiana Rae1 in interphase and mitosis. Plant Journal 59: 278–291. , , , , , .
- 2002. Comparative analysis of plastid transcription profiles of entire plastid chromosomes from tobacco attributed to wild-type and PEP-deficient transcription machineries. Plant Journal 31: 171–188. , , , , , .
- 1996. Green life: control of chloroplast gene transcription. Bioessays 18: 465–471. .
- 2006. Dual temporal role of plastid sigma factor 6 in Arabidopsis development. Plant Physiology 142: 642–650. , , , .
- 2002. Plastid genes transcribed by the nucleus-encoded plastid RNA polymerase show increased transcript accumulation in transgenic plants expressing a chloroplast-localized phage T7 RNA polymerase. Journal of Experimental Botany 53: 2341–2349. , .
- 1999. Functional importance of regions in Escherichia coli elongation factor NusA that interact with RNA polymerase, the bacteriophage lambda N protein and RNA. Molecular Microbioloy 34: 523–537. , , , .
- 1998. Two plastid RNA polymerases in higher plants: an evolving story. Trends in Plant Science 3: 4–6. .
- 2000. Tagetitoxin inhibits RNA synthesis directed by RNA polymerases from chloroplasts and Escherichia coli. Journal of Biological Chemistry 265: 493–498. , .
- 2002. Novel nuclear-encoded proteins interacting with a plastid sigma factor, Sig1, in Arabidopsis thaliana. FEBS Letters 514: 300–304. , , , .
- 1987. Transcription and RNA stability are important determinants of higher plant chloroplast RNA levels. EMBO Journal 6: 1571–1579. , .
- 2008. Light induction of Arabidopsis SIG1 and SIG5 transcripts in mature leaves: differential roles of cryptochrome 1 and cryptochrome 2 and dual function of SIG5 in the recognition of plastid promoters. Plant Journal 55: 968–978. , , , , .
- 2010. The C-terminal zinc finger domain of Arabidopsis cold shock domain proteins is important for RNA chaperone activity during cold adaptation. Phytochemistry 71: 543–547. , , , , .
- 2006. pTAC-2, -6, and -12 are components of the transcriptionally active plastid chromosome that are required for plastid gene expression. Plant Cell 18: 176–197. , , , , .
- 1994. Separation of two classes of plastid DNA-dependent RNA polymerases that are differentially expressed in mustard (Sinapis alba L.) seedlings. Plant Molecular Biology 25: 69–81. , .
- 1991. Highly purified pea chloroplast RNA polymerase transcribes both rRNA and mRNA genes. European Journal of Biochemistry 195: 215–228. , , , , .
- 1992. Quantitative analysis of transcription and RNA levels of 15 barley chloroplast genes. Transcription rates and mRNA levels vary over 300-fold; predicted mRNA stabilities vary 30-fold. Journal of Biological Chemistry 267: 21404–21411. , , .
- 1985. Characterization of transcriptionally active DNA-protein complexes from chloroplasts and etioplasts of mustard (Sinapis alba L.). European Journal of Biochemistry 148: 207–212. , .
- 1991. Structural and functional significance of pigment-protein complexes of chlorophyll precursors. In: Scheer H, ed. Chlorophylls. Boca Raton, FL, USA: CRC press, 587–612. , .
- 1998. Transcriptional activities of the chloroplast-nuclei and proplastid-nuclei isolated from tobacco exhibit different sensitivities to tagetitoxin: implication of the presence of distinct RNA polymerases. Plant and Cell Physiology 39: 928–934. , , , .
- 2001. The 70-kDa major DNA-compacting protein of the chloroplast nucleoid is sulfite reductase. FEBS Letters 487: 347–350. , , .
- 2010. Analysis of oligomeric protein complexes in the chloroplast sub-proteome of nucleic acid-binding proteins from mustard reveals potential redox regulators of plastid gene expression. Proteomics 10: 2191–2204. , , , .
- 2004. Structural characterization of the RNase E S1 domain and identification of its oligonucleotide-binding and dimerization interfaces. Journal of Molecular Biology 341: 37–54. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Role and regulation of plastid sigma factors and their functional interactors during chloroplast transcription – recent lessons from Arabidopsis thaliana. European Journal of Cell Biology 89: 940–946. , , , .
- 2007. DNA binding and partial nucleoid localization of the chloroplast stromal enzyme ferredoxin:sulfite reductase. The FEBS Journal 274: 2054–2069. , , , , , .
- 2002. Reversible DNA compaction by sulfite reductase regulates transcriptional activity of chloroplast nucleoids. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 24399–24404. , , .
- 2005. Plastid RNA polymerases, promoters, and transcription regulators in higher plants. International Review of Cytology 244: 1–68. , , , .
- 1998. Mapping of promoters for the nucleus-encoded plastid RNA polymerase (NEP) in the iojap maize mutant. Current Genetics 33: 340–344. , .
- 1997. Transcription and translation in chloroplasts. Trends in Plant Science 2: 308–315. , , .
- 1996. Transcriptionally active chromosomes (TACs) of barley chloroplasts contain the alpha-subunit of plastome-encoded RNA polymerase. Current Genetics 30: 515–521. , , , , , .
- 2004. Affinity purification of the tobacco plastid RNA polymerase and in vitro reconstitution of the holoenzyme. Plant Journal 40: 164–172. , , , , , .
- 2007. The plastid sigma factor SIG1 maintains photosystem I activity via regulated expression of the psaA operon in rice chloroplasts. Plant Journal 52: 124–132. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The structure of bacterial RNA polymerase in complex with the essential transcription elongation factor NusA. EMBO Reports 10: 997–1002. , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Proteome analysis of the rice etioplast: metabolic and regulatory networks and novel protein functions. Molecular and Cellular Proteomics 4: 1072–1084. , , , , , .