A novel actin–microtubule cross-linking kinesin, NtKCH, functions in cell expansion and division
Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 3, pages 576–589, February 2012
How to Cite
Klotz, J. and Nick, P. (2012), A novel actin–microtubule cross-linking kinesin, NtKCH, functions in cell expansion and division. New Phytologist, 193: 576–589. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03944.x
- Issue online: 11 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2011
- Received: 28 July 2011, Accepted: 21 September 2011
- 2005. A minus-end directed kinesin with plus-end tracking protein activity is involved in spindle morphogenesis. Molecular Biology of the Cell 16: 1584–1592. , , , , .
- 1997. Localization of a kinesin-like calmodulin-binding protein in dividing cells of Arabidopsis and tobacco. The Plant Journal 12: 1429–1437. , .
- 1986. Carboxy-terminal regions on the surface of tubulin and microtubules. Epitope locations of YOL1/34, DM1A and DM1B. Journal of Molecular Biology 189: 367–370. , .
- 2011. Cytoskeletal dynamics in interphase, mitosis and cytokinesis analysed through Agrobacterium-mediated transient transformation of tobacco BY-2 cells. New Phytologist 190: 258–267. , , , , .
- 2010. Microtubule motors and pollen tube growth – still an open question. Protoplasma 247: 131–143. , .
- 2002. A monomeric red fluorescent protein. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 99: 7877–7882. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Structural and functional domains of the Drosophila ncd microtubule motor protein. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 268: 9005–9013. , , , , .
- 2008. Crossed-wires: interactions and cross-talk between the microtubule and microfilament networks in plants. In: Nick P, ed. Plant microtubules. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 47–79. .
- 2010. The plant formin AtFH4 interacts with both actin and microtubules, and contains a newly identified microtubule-binding domain. Journal of Cell Science 123: 1209–1215. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Determinants of molecular motor directionality. Nature Cell Biology 1: 163–167. .
- 1994. Yeast Kar3 is a minus-end microtubule motor protein that destabilizes microtubules preferentially at the minus ends. EMBO Journal 13: 2708–2713. , , , , , .
- 1982. Polarity of spindle microtubules in Haemanthus endosperm. Journal of Cell Biology 94: 644–653. , , .
- 2010. Dynamic bridges: an unconventional rice kinesin links actin and microtubules. PhD thesis, Karlsruhe Institute for Technology (KIT), Karlsruhe, BW, Germany. .
- 2009. Dynamic bridges: a calponin-domain kinesin from rice links actin filaments and microtubules in both cycling and non-cycling cells. Plant and Cell Physiology 50: 1493–1506. , , .
- 2010. A kinesin with calponin-homology domain is involved in premitotic nuclear migration. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 3423–3437. , , .
- 2002. Functional plasticity of CH domains. FEBS Letters 513: 98–106. , , , .
- 2000. Functional cooperation between the microtubule and actin cytoskeletons. Current Opinion in Cell Biology 12: 63–71. , , .
- 2010. New algorithms and methods to estimate maximum-likelihood phylogenies: assessing the performance of PhyML3.0. Systematic Biology 59: 307–321. , , , , , .
- 2003. A simple, fast, and accurate algorithm to estimate large phylogenies by maximum likelihood. Systematic Biology 52: 696–704. , .
- 1998. Processivity of the motor protein kinesin requires two heads. Journal of Cell Biology 140: 1395–1405. , .
- 2000. DNA cloning using in vitro site-specific recombination. Genome Research 10: 1788–1795. , , .
- 2010. Comparative transcriptional profiling analysis of the two daughter cells from tobacco zygote reveals the transcriptome differences in the apical and basal cells. BioMed Central Plant Biology 10: 167. , , .
- 2002. Gateway vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 1990. The role of the cytoskeleton in positioning of the nucleus in premitotic tobacco BY-2 cells. Journal of Cell Science 95: 413–422. , , .
- 1988. The roles of the cytoskeleton and the cell wall in nuclear positioning in tobacco BY-2 cells. Plant and Cell Physiology 29: 403–413. , .
- 2002. Calponin homology domains at a glance. Journal of Cell Science 115: 3543–3545. , .
- 2001. Dynamic organization of microtubules and microfilaments during cell cycle progression in higher plant cells. Plant Biology 3: 4–16. , .
- 2007. Interactive Tree Of Life (iTOL): an online tool for phylogenetic tree display and annotation. Bioinformatics 23: 127–128. , .
- 1991. Predicting coiled-coils from protein sequences. Science 252: 1162–1164. , , .
- 2009. Tobacco Arp3 is localized to actin-nucleating sites in vivo. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 603–614. , , , .
- 2002. Arabidopsis thaliana protein, ATK1, is a minus-end directed kinesin that exhibits non-processive movement. Cytoskeleton 52: 144–150. , , , , .
- 2001. Identification of a novel plant-specific kinesin-like protein that is highly expressed in interphase tobacco BY-2 cells. Protoplasma 215: 105–115. , , .
- 2005. Global analysis of the core cell cycle regulators of Arabidopsis identifies novel genes, reveals multiple and highly specific profiles of expression and provides a coherent model for plant cell cycle control. Plant Journal 41: 546–566. , , , .
- 2003. Genome-wide gene expression in an Arabidopsis cell suspension. Plant Molecular Biology 53: 423–442. , , , .
- 2005. Analysis of the kinesin superfamily: insights into structure and function. Trends in Cell Biology 15: 467–476. , , .
- 1999. The preprophase band of microtubules: its function as a cytokinetic apparatus in higher plants. International Review of Cytology 187: 1–49. .
- 1992. Tobacco BY-2 cell line as the “HeLa” cell in the cell biology of higher plants. International Review of Cytology 132: 1–30. , , .
- 2008. Control of cell axis. In: Nick P, ed. Plant microtubules. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Verlag, 23–46. .
- 2008. Cortical actin filaments at the division site of mitotic plant cells: a reconsideration of the ‘actin-depleted zone’. New Phytologist 179: 334–341. .
- 2006. Visualization of cellulose synthase demonstrates functional association with microtubules. Science 312: 1491–1495. , , .
- 2009. Actin and microtubule cytoskeleton interactions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 12: 728–734. , .
- 2004. A plant-specific kinesin binds to actin microfilaments and interacts with cortical microtubules in cotton fibers. Plant Physiology 136: 3945–3955. , , , , , .
- 2001. Molecular motors and their functions in plants. International Review of Cytology & Cell Biology 204: 97–178. .
- 2001. Kinesins in the Arabidopsis genome: a comparative analysis among eukaryotes. BioMed Central Genomics 2: 2. , .
- 2006. Comprehensive comparative analysis of kinesins in photosynthetic eukaryotes. BioMed Central Genomics 7: 18. , , .
- 2003. Conserved microtubule–actin interactions in cell movement and morphogenesis. Nature Cell Biology 5: 599–609. , , , , , .
- 2008. Armadillo repeat-containing kinesins and a NIMA-related kinase are required for epidermal-cell morphogenesis in Arabidopsis. The Plant Journal 53: 157–171. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Optimizing conditions for tobacco BY-2 cell cycle synchronization. Protoplasma 202: 232–236. , , , .
- 2005. Appearance of actin microfilament “twin peaks” in mitosis and their function in cell plate formation, as visualized in tobacco BY-2 cells expressing GFP-fimbrin. Plant Journal 44: 595–605. , , , , .
- 1997. In vitro motility of AtKCBP, a calmodulin-binding kinesin protein of Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 94: 322–327. , , , .
- 1999. Characterization of KatD, a kinesin-like protein gene specifically expressed in floral tissues of Arabidopsis thaliana. Gene 230: 23–32. , , , , .
- 1987. An actin network is present in the cytoplasm throughout the cell cycle of carrot cells and associates with the dividing nucleus. Journal of Cell Biology 105: 387–395. , , , , , .
- 2011. Characterization of a novel rice kinesin O12 with a calponin homology domain. The Journal of Biochemistry 149: 91–101. , , , , .
- 2003. Remodeling the cytoskeleton for growth and form: an overview with some new views. Annual Review of Plant Biology 54: 691–722. , .
- 2009. A cotton kinesin GhKCH2 interacts with both microtubules and microfilaments. Biochemical Journal 421: 171–180. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Cotton GhKCH2, a plant-specific kinesin, is low-affinitive and nucleotide-independent as binding to microtubule. Journal of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 40: 723–730. , , , , .
- 1989. A three-domain structure of kinesin heavy chain revealed by DNA sequence and microtubule binding analyses. Cell 56: 879–889. , , .
- 2005. Localization of actin filaments on mitotic apparatus in tobacco BY-2 cells. Planta 222: 118–129. , , , , , .