BRCA2 is a mediator of RAD51- and DMC1-facilitated homologous recombination in Arabidopsis thaliana
Version of Record online: 11 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 2, pages 364–375, January 2012
How to Cite
Seeliger, K., Dukowic-Schulze, S., Wurz-Wildersinn, R., Pacher, M. and Puchta, H. (2012), BRCA2 is a mediator of RAD51- and DMC1-facilitated homologous recombination in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 193: 364–375. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03947.x
- Issue online: 20 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 11 NOV 2011
- Received: 9 August 2011, Accepted: 22 September 2011
- 2009. Inefficient double-strand DNA break repair is associated with increased fasciation in Arabidopsis BRCA2 mutants. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 2751–2761. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Arabidopsis RAD51C gene is important for homologous recombination in meiosis and mitosis. Plant Physiology 139: 896–908. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. DNA replication is required To elicit cellular responses to psoralen-induced DNA interstrand cross-links. Molecular and Cellular Biology 20: 8283–8289. , , , , .
- 2003. Genome-wide insertional mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 301: 653–657. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Asy1, a protein required for meiotic chromosome synapsis, localizes to axis-associated chromatin in Arabidopsis and Brassica. Journal of Cell Science 115: 3645–3655. , , , .
- 2009. Cytological analysis of Arabidopsis thaliana meiotic chromosomes. Methods in Molecular Biology 558: 131–145. , , .
- 2005. Homozygous germ line mutation in exon 27 of murine Brca2 disrupts the Fancd2-Brca2 pathway in the homologous recombination-mediated DNA interstrand cross-links’ repair but does not affect meiosis. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 44: 429–437. , , .
- 1997. The BRC repeats are conserved in mammalian BRCA2 proteins. Human Molecular Genetics 6: 53–58. , , , , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis homologue of Xrcc3 plays an essential role in meiosis. EMBO Journal 23: 439–449. , .
- 2011. BRCC36A is epistatic to BRCA1 in DNA crosslink repair and homologous recombination in Arabidopsis thaliana. Nucleic Acids Research 39: 146–154. , , , , .
- 1996. Internal repeats in the BRCA2 protein sequence. Nature Genetics 13: 22–23. , , .
- 2006. Cellular functions of the BRCA tumour-suppressor proteins. Biochemical Society Transactions 34: 633–645. .
- 1999. Tumor suppressor genes and breast cancer. Radiation Oncology Investigations 7: 55–65. , , , , , .
- 2007. Zip4/Spo22 is required for class I CO formation but not for synapsis completion in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genetics 3: e83. , , , , , .
- 1999. Expression of BRC repeats in breast cancer cells disrupts the BRCA2-Rad51 complex and leads to radiation hypersensitivity and loss of G(2)/M checkpoint control. Journal of Biological Chemistry 274: 32931–32935. , , , , .
- 1998a. Stable interaction between the products of the BRCA1 and BRCA2 tumor suppressor genes in mitotic and meiotic cells. Molecular Cell 2: 317–328. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1998b. The BRC repeats in BRCA2 are critical for RAD51 binding and resistance to methyl methanesulfonate treatment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 5287–5292. , , , , , .
- 2006. The role of BRCA2 in replication-coupled DNA interstrand cross-link repair in vitro. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 13: 729–733. , , .
- 1997. Tumorigenesis and a DNA repair defect in mice with a truncating Brca2 mutation. Nature Genetics 17: 423–430. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Characterizing a rat Brca2 knockout model. Oncogene 26: 1626–1635. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Random chromosome segregation without meiotic arrest in both male and female meiocytes of a dmc1 mutant of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 11: 1623–1634. , , , , , .
- 2006. Interaction between Arabidopsis Brca2 and its partners Rad51, Dmc1, and Dss1. Plant Physiology 140: 1059–1069. , , , .
- 2005. BRCA2 BRC motifs bind RAD51-DNA filaments. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 8537–8542. , , , , , .
- 2008. Trypanosoma brucei BRCA2 acts in antigenic variation and has undergone a recent expansion in BRC repeat number that is important during homologous recombination. Molecular Microbiology 68: 1237–1251. , .
- 2005. The Arabidopsis synaptonemal complex protein ZYP1 is required for chromosome synapsis and normal fidelity of crossing over. Genes and Development 19: 2488–2500. , , , , .
- 2011. Unraveling the mechanism of BRCA2 in homologous recombination. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 18: 748–754. .
- 1999. Molecular genetics of breast cancer progression. Seminars in Cancer Biology 9: 277–288. .
- 2010. Purified human BRCA2 stimulates RAD51-mediated recombination. Nature 467: 678–683. , , .
- 1998. Multiple possible sites of BRCA2 interacting with DNA repair protein RAD51. Genes Chromosomes Cancer 21: 217–222. , , , , , , .
- 2006. The Arabidopsis thaliana MND1 homologue plays a key role in meiotic homologous pairing, synapsis and recombination. Journal of Cell Science 119: 2486–2496. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Drosophila brca2 is required for mitotic and meiotic DNA repair and efficient activation of the meiotic recombination checkpoint. PLoS Genetics 4: e31. , , .
- 2008. Essential role of brc-2 in chromosome integrity of germ cells in C. elegans. Molecules and Cells 26: 590–594. , , .
- 2002. BRCA2 homolog required for proficiency in DNA repair, recombination, and genome stability in Ustilago maydis. Molecular Cell 10: 683–691. , , , .
- 2002. Brca2 (XRCC11) deficiency results in radioresistant DNA synthesis and a higher frequency of spontaneous deletions. Molecular and Cellular Biology 22: 669–679. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Characterization of Arabidopsis thaliana ortholog of the human breast cancer susceptibility gene 1: AtBRCA1, strongly induced by gamma rays. Nucleic Acids Research 31: 1148–1155. , .
- 2007. Analysis of DNA repair and recombination responses in mouse cells depleted for Brca2 by SiRNA. DNA Repair (Amsterdam) 6: 809–817. , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis AtRAD51 gene is dispensable for vegetative development but required for meiosis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 101: 10596–10601. , , , , , , .
- 2005. The AtRAD51C gene is required for normal meiotic chromosome synapsis and double-stranded break repair in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 138: 965–976. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Human BRCA2 protein promotes RAD51 filament formation on RPA-covered single-stranded DNA. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 17: 1260–1262. , , , .
- 2002. Distinct functions of BRCA1 and BRCA2 in double-strand break repair. Breast Cancer Research 4: 9–13. , .
- 2011. Coordination of DNA replication and recombination activities in the maintenance of genome stability. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 112: 2672–2682. , , .
- 1998. The BRCA2 gene product functionally interacts with p53 and RAD51. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 13869–13874. , , .
- 2005. RAD-51-dependent and -independent roles of a Caenorhabditis elegans BRCA2-related protein during DNA double-strand break repair. Molecular and Cellular Biology 25: 3127–3139. , , , , .
- 2010. Genetic susceptibility to breast cancer. Molecular Oncology 4: 174–191. , , , .
- 2003. The meiotic protein SWI1 is required for axial element formation and recombination initiation in Arabidopsis. Development 130: 3309–3318. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Meiosis in plants: ten years of gene discovery. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 120: 281–290. , .
- 2001. Homologous recombination: from model organisms to human disease. Genome Biology 2: Reviews 1014. , .
- 2001. BRCA2 is required for homology-directed repair of chromosomal breaks. Molecular Cell 7: 263–272. , , .
- 2010. BRCA1 and BRCA2: breast/ovarian cancer susceptibility gene products and participants in DNA double-strand break repair. Carcinogenesis 31: 961–967. , .
- 2005. Fanconi anemia complementation group D2 (FANCD2) functions independently of BRCA2- and RAD51-associated homologous recombination in response to DNA damage. Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 14877–14883. , , , .
- 2011. Pathways to meiotic recombination in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 190: 523–544. , , , , .
- 2002. Relative toxicities of DNA cross-links and monoadducts: new insights from studies of decarbamoyl mitomycin C and mitomycin C. Chemical Research in Toxicology 15: 1398–1406. , , , , , , .
- 2006. AtMND1 is required for homologous pairing during meiosis in Arabidopsis. BMC Molecular Biology 7: 24. , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Involvement of Brca2 in DNA repair. Molecular Cell 1: 347–357. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The repair of double-strand breaks in plants: mechanisms and consequences for genome evolution. Journal of Experimental Botany 56: 1–14. .
- 1995. Somatic intrachromosomal homologous recombination events in populations of plant siblings. Plant Molecular Biology 28: 281–292. , , , , .
- 2006. A homologue of the breast cancer-associated gene BARD1 is involved in DNA repair in plants. EMBO Journal 25: 4326–4337. , , , , .
- 2008. The Physcomitrella genome reveals evolutionary insights into the conquest of land by plants. Science 319: 64–69. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Chromosome dynamics in meiotic prophase I in plants. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 129: 173–183. , .
- 2003. An Arabidopsis thaliana T-DNA mutagenized population (GABI-Kat) for flanking sequence tag-based reverse genetics. Plant Molecular Biology 53: 247–259. , , , , , .
- 2008. ASY1 coordinates early events in the plant meiotic recombination pathway. Cytogenetic and Genome Research 120: 302–312. , , , , , , .
- 2007. ASY1 mediates AtDMC1-dependent interhomolog recombination during meiosis in Arabidopsis. Genes and Development 21: 2220–2233. , , , .
- 2005. The dual nature of homologous recombination in plants. Trends in Genetics 21: 172–181. , , , .
- 2000. Role of BRCA gene dysfunction in breast and ovarian cancer predisposition. Breast Cancer Research 2: 324–330. .
- 2000. In search of the tumour-suppressor functions of BRCA1 and BRCA2. Nature 408: 429–432. , .
- 1997. Embryonic lethality and radiation hypersensitivity mediated by Rad51 in mice lacking Brca2. Nature 386: 804–810. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. BRCA2 deficiency in mice leads to meiotic impairment and infertility. Development 131: 131–142. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. DNA recombination, chromosomal stability and carcinogenesis: insights into the role of BRCA2. DNA Repair (Amsterdam) 3: 835–843. , .
- 2004. Brca2 is involved in meiosis in Arabidopsis thaliana as suggested by its interaction with Dmc1. EMBO Journal 23: 1392–1401. , , , , , .
- 2000. The dyad gene is required for progression through female meiosis in Arabidopsis. Development 127: 197–207. , , , .
- 1996. Recent advances in understanding of genetic susceptibility to breast cancer. Human Molecular Genetics 5 Spec No: 1515–1519. .
- 1997. Brca2 is required for embryonic cellular proliferation in the mouse. Genes and Development 11: 1242–1252. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Intrachromosomal homologous recombination in whole plants. EMBO Journal 13: 484–489. , , , .
- 2004. RAD51 localization and activation following DNA damage. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological sciences 359: 87–93. , , .
- 2002. Recombinational DNA repair and human disease. Mutation Research 509: 49–78. , .
- 2007. BRCA2: a universal recombinase regulator. Oncogene 26: 7720–7730. , .
- 2010. The breast cancer tumor suppressor BRCA2 promotes the specific targeting of RAD51 to single-stranded DNA. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology 17: 1263–1265. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Homologs of breast cancer genes in plants. Frontiers in Plant Science 2. doi: 10.3389/fpls.2011.00019. , , .
- 2005. Targeting the DNA repair defect of BRCA tumours. Current Opinion in Pharmacology 5: 388–393. , , .
- 2001. Mutation in Brca2 stimulates error-prone homology-directed repair of DNA double-strand breaks occurring between repeated sequences. EMBO Journal 20: 4704–4716. , , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Cell cycle control of BRCA2. Cancer Research 56: 4590–4594. , , , , , , .
- 2007. The interplay of RecA-related proteins and the MND1-HOP2 complex during meiosis in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Genetics 3: 1894–1906. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis BRCA2 and RAD51 proteins are specifically involved in defense gene transcription during plant immune responses. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 22716–22721. , , , , .
- 2002. Structural analysis of the chicken BRCA2 gene facilitates identification of functional domains and disease causing mutations. Human Molecular Genetics 11: 841–851. , , , , , .
- 1997. RAD51 interacts with the evolutionarily conserved BRC motifs in the human breast cancer susceptibility gene brca2. Journal of Biological Chemistry 272: 31941–31944. , , , , .
- 2001. Deficiency of human BRCA2 leads to impaired homologous recombination but maintains normal nonhomologous end joining. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 8644–8649. , , , , , , .
- 2002. BRCA2 function in DNA binding and recombination from a BRCA2-DSS1-ssDNA structure. Science 297: 1837–1848. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The BRCA2 homologue Brh2 nucleates RAD51 filament formation at a dsDNA-ssDNA junction. Nature 433: 653–657. , , , , .
- 2004. Role of BRCA1 and BRCA2 as regulators of DNA repair, transcription, and cell cycle in response to DNA damage. Cancer Science 95: 866–871. , .
- 2000. Gross chromosomal rearrangements and genetic exchange between nonhomologous chromosomes following BRCA2 inactivation. Genes and Development 14: 1400–1406. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. BRCA2 is required for ionizing radiation-induced assembly of Rad51 complex in vivo. Cancer Research 59: 3547–3551. , , , , , .