Flowering phenology as a functional trait in a tallgrass prairie
Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 3, pages 673–682, February 2012
How to Cite
Craine, J. M., Wolkovich, E. M., Gene Towne, E. and Kembel, S. W. (2012), Flowering phenology as a functional trait in a tallgrass prairie. New Phytologist, 193: 673–682. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03953.x
- Issue online: 11 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 10 NOV 2011
- Received: 18 August 2011, Accepted: 29 September 2011
- 2011. Emergence of a mid-season period of low floral resources in a montane meadow ecosystem associated with climate change. Journal of Ecology 99: 905–913. , , , , .
- 1994. Floral character displacement generates assemblage structure of western-Australian triggerplants (Stylidium). Ecology 75: 315–329. , , .
- 1994. How long should flowers live. Nature 371: 788–791. , .
- 2009. Spring 2007 warmth and frost: phenology, damage and refoliation in a temperate deciduous forest. Functional Ecology 23: 1031–1039. .
- 1997. Fire, N availability, and plant response in grasslands: a test of the transient maxima hypothesis. Ecology 78: 2359–2368. .
- 1995. Interannual variability in primary production in tallgrass prairie: climate, soil moisture, topographic position, and fire as determinants of aboveground biomass. American Journal of Botany 82: 1024–1030. , .
- 2002. Expansion of woody plants in tallgrass prairie: a fifteen-year study of fire and fire-grazing interactions. American Midland Naturalist 147: 287–294. , , .
- 1997. Effects of pollinators, herbivores, and seed predators on flowering phenology. Ecology 78: 1624–1631. .
- 1995. Response of arctic tundra to experimental and observed changes in climate. Ecology 76: 694–711. , , , , .
- 2007. Regional climate projections. In: Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK & New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press, 847–890. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Diverse responses of phenology to global changes in a grassland ecosystem. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 13740–13744. , , , , .
- 2006. Scale-dependent interaction of fire and grazing on community heterogeneity in tallgrass prairie. Ecology 87: 2058–2067. , .
- 2009. Resource strategies of wild plants. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 2009. Global patterns of foliar nitrogen isotopes and their relationships with climate, mycorrhizal fungi, foliar nutrient concentrations, and nitrogen availability. New Phytologist 183: 980–992. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. The relationships among root and leaf traits of 76 grassland species and relative abundance along fertility and disturbance gradients. Oikos 93: 274–285. , , , , .
- 2011. Functional consequences of climate-change induced plant species loss in a tallgrass prairie. Oecologia 165: 1109–1117. , , , , , , .
- 2010. High leaf tissue density grassland species consistently more abundant across topographic and disturbance contrasts in a North American tallgrass prairie. Plant and Soil 337: 193–203. , .
- 2010. Climate controls on grass culm production over a quarter century in a tallgrass prairie. Ecology 91: 2132–2140. , , .
- 2010. Complex responses to climate drivers in onset of spring flowering across a semi-arid elevation gradient. Journal of Ecology 98: 1042–1051. , , .
- 2011. Onset of summer flowering in a ‘Sky Island’ is driven by monsoon moisture. New Phytologist 191: 468–479. , , .
- 2010. Selection on variance in flowering time within and among individuals. Evolution 64: 1311–1320. , .
- 2005. Niche construction through phenological plasticity: life history dynamics and ecological consequences. New Phytologist 166: 83–92. .
- 2007. Time after time: flowering phenology and biotic interactions. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 22: 432–439. , , , , , .
- 2005. Niche differences in phenology and rooting depth promote coexistence with a dominant C4 bunchgrass. Oecologia 143: 598–606. , .
- 2009. Different flowering phenology of alien invasive species in Spain: evidence for the use of an empty temporal niche? Plant Biology 11: 803–811. , , , .
- 1993. Plant functional types and ecological strategies in Patagonian forbs. Journal of Vegetation Science 4: 839–846. , .
- 1985. The dip test of unimodality. Annals of Statistics 13: 70–84. , .
- 2008. Temporal coherence of aboveground net primary productivity in mesic grasslands. Ecography 31: 408–416. , .
- 1994. Response of early-flowering and late-flowering plants to fire season in experimental prairies. Ecological Applications 4: 121–133. .
- 2008. Effects of climate change on phenology, frost damage, and floral abundance of montane wildflowers. Ecology 89: 353–362. .
- 2001. Fire and grazing regulate belowground processes in tallgrass prairie. Ecology 82: 3377–3389. , .
- 2010. The pollination niche and its role in the diversification and maintenance of the southern African flora. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 365: 499–516. .
- 1999. The keystone role of bison in North American tallgrass prairie. BioScience 49: 39–50. , , , , , , .
- 1998. Grassland dynamics. New York, NY, USA: Oxford University Press. , , , .
- 1986. Contraints and competition in the evolution of flowering phenology. Ecological Monographs 56: 303–325. , .
- 2003. Multigenerational effects of flowering and fruiting phenology in Plantago lanceolata. Ecology 84: 2462–2475. , , , , .
- 1982. Competition for pollinators in the ecology of Centaurea scabiosa L. and Centaurea nigra L. 1. Variation in flowering time. New Phytologist 91: 297–308. .
- 2003. Physiological plant ecology. Berlin, Germany: Springer. .
- 2006. European phenological response to climate change matches the warming pattern. Global Change Biology 12: 1969–1976. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Biomass accumulation and resource utilization in cooccurring grassland annuals. Oecologia 70: 555–558. , , , .
- 2005. A phenological mid-domain effect in flowering diversity. Oecologia 142: 83–89. , , .
- 2007a. Linking water uptake with rooting patterns in grassland species. Oecologia 153: 261–272. , .
- 2007b. Soil water partitioning contributes to species coexistence in tallgrass prairie. Oikos 116: 1017–1029. , .
- 2006. Intra-annual rainfall variability and grassland productivity: can the past predict the future? Plant Ecology 184: 65–74. , , .
- 2011. Linking plant growth responses across topographic gradients in tallgrass prairie. Oecologia 166: 1131–1142. , , , , , , .
- 2002. The costs of reproduction in plants. New Phytologist 155: 321–348. .
- 1992. Flowering phenology – an example of relaxation of natural-selection. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 7: 274–276. , .
- 2003. A globally coherent fingerprint of climate change impacts across natural systems. Nature 421: 37–42. , .
- 1979. Difference in pollination niche relationships in early and late successional plant-communities. Ecology 60: 597–610. , .
- 2004. Nonintrusive field experiments show different plant responses to warming and drought among sites, seasons, and species in a north–south European gradient. Ecosystems 7: 598–612. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1973. Seasonal change in nutritive value of bluestem pastures. Journal of Range Management 26: 419–422. , , .
- 1988. Flowering phenologies in a shrub community – competition and constraints. Journal of Ecology 76: 975–994. .
- 1985. Phenological patterns of terrestrial plants. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 179–214. , .
- 1984. Water-stress and tree phenology in a tropical dry forest in the lowlands of Costa Rica. Journal of Ecology 72: 61–74. , .
- 2008. Plant-pollinator interactions and the assembly of plant communities. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23: 123–130. , .
- 1991. Physiological interactions along resource gradients in a tallgrass prairie. Ecology 72: 672–684. , , , , , .
- 2003. Phenology: an integrative environmental science. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic. .
- 2007. Divergence of reproductive phenology under climate warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 198–202. , , , , , , , .
- 1991. Seasonal carbon isotope discrimination in a grassland community. Oecologia 85: 314–320. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Flowering phenology and height growth pattern are associated with maximum plant height, relative growth rate and stem tissue mass density in herbaceous grassland species. Journal of Ecology 99: 991–1000. , .
- 2004. Relating plant traits and species distributions along bioclimatic gradients for 88 Leucadendron taxa. Ecology 85: 1688–1699. , , , , .
- 1999. Bison performance and productivity on tallgrass prairie. Southwestern Naturalist 44: 361–366. .
- 2002. Vascular plants of Konza Prairie Biological Station: an annotated checklist of species in a Kansas tallgrass prairie. SIDA Contributions to Botany 20: 269–294. .
- 2005. Vegetation trends in tallgrass prairie from bison and cattle grazing. Ecological Applications 15: 1550–1559. , , .
- 2011. Physiological drought tolerance and the structuring of tallgrass assemblages. Ecosphere 2: 48. , , .
- 1997. Soil N and plant responses to fire, topography, and supplemental N in tallgrass prairie. Ecology 78: 1832–1843. , , , .
- 2008. Influence of grazing and fire frequency on small-scale plant community structure and resource variability in native tallgrass prairie. Oikos 117: 859–866. , , , .
- 1968. Prairie plants and their environment: a fifty year study in the Midwest. Lincoln, NE, USA: University of Nebraska Press. .
- 2010. Genetic and physiological bases for phenological responses to current and predicted climates. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 365: 3129–3147. , , , , , .
- 2009. Effects of genetic perturbation on seasonal life history plasticity. Science 323: 930–934. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Favorable climate change response explains nonnative species’ success in Thoreau’s Woods. PLoS ONE 5: e8878. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0008878. , , , , , .
- 2011. Biodiversity, phenology and temporal niche differences between native- and novel exotic-dominated grasslands. Perspectives in Plant Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 14: 265–276. , , .
- 2010. The phenology of plant invasions: a community ecology perspective. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 9: 287–294. , .