Methylated arsenic species in plants originate from soil microorganisms
Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 3, pages 665–672, February 2012
How to Cite
Lomax, C., Liu, W.-J., Wu, L., Xue, K., Xiong, J., Zhou, J., McGrath, S. P., Meharg, A. A., Miller, A. J. and Zhao, F.-J. (2012), Methylated arsenic species in plants originate from soil microorganisms. New Phytologist, 193: 665–672. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03956.x
- Issue online: 11 JAN 2012
- Version of Record online: 18 NOV 2011
- Received: 25 August 2011, Accepted: 4 October 2011
- 2011. Effects of arsenic compound amendment on arsenic speciation in rice grain. Environmental Science & Technology 45: 1291–1297. , , , .
- 2009. Effects of water management on cadmium and arsenic accumulation and dimethylarsinic acid concentrations in Japanese rice. Environmental Science & Technology 43: 9361–9367. , , , , .
- 2010. Grain unloading of arsenic species in rice. Plant Physiology 152: 309–319. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1945. Biological methylation. Chemical Reviews 36: 315–361. .
- 1989. The effect of arsenicals on cell suspension cultures of the Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus). Applied Organometallic Chemistry 3: 515–521. , , .
- European Food Safety Authority. 2009. Scientific opinion on arsenic in food. EFSA Journal 7: 1351.
- 2002. Organoarsenic compounds in plants and soil on top of an ore vein. Applied Organometallic Chemistry 16: 245–249. , , .
- 2005. A new metabolic pathway of arsenite: arsenic-glutathione complexes are substrates for human arsenic methyltransferase Cyt19. Archives of Toxicology 79: 183–191. , , , .
- 2007. GeoChip: a comprehensive microarray for investigating biogeochemical, ecological and environmental processes. ISME Journal 1: 67–77. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1966. Sand and water culture methods used in the study of plant nutrition. Farnham Royal, UK: Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux. .
- 2009a. The rice aquaporin Lsi1 mediates uptake of methylated arsenic species. Plant Physiology 150: 2071–2080. , , , , , , , .
- 2009b. Mitigation of arsenic accumulation in rice with water management and silicon fertilization. Environmental Science & Technology 43: 3778–3783. , , , , .
- 2008. Transporters of arsenite in rice and their role in arsenic accumulation in rice grain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 9931–9935. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Genotypic difference in silicon uptake and expression of silicon transporter genes in rice. Plant Physiology 145: 919–924. , , , .
- 2009. Geographical variation in total and inorganic arsenic content of polished (white) rice. Environmental Science & Technology 43: 1612–1617. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Arsenic biotransformation and volatilization in transgenic rice. New Phytologist 191: 49–56. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Quantitative and qualitative trapping of arsines deployed to assess loss of volatile arsenic from paddy soil. Environmental Science & Technology 43: 8270–8275. , , , , , , .
- 1962. A revised medium for rapid growth and bio assays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiologia Plantarum 15: 473–497. , .
- 1982. Arsenic metabolism in fresh-water and terrestrial plants. Physiologia Plantarum 54: 446–450. , .
- 2009. Identification of low inorganic and total grain arsenic rice cultivars from Bangladesh. Environmental Science & Technology 43: 6070–6075. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Rice-arsenate interactions in hydroponics: whole genome transcriptional analysis. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 2267–2276. , , , .
- 2010. Total grain-arsenic and arsenic-species concentrations in diverse rice cultivars under flooded conditions. Crop Science 50: 2065–2075. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Arsenic detoxification and evolution of trimethylarsine gas by a microbial arsenite S-adenosylmethionine methyltransferase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 2075–2080. , , , , , .
- 2003. The distribution of arsenate and arsenite in shoots and roots of Holcus lanatus is influenced by arsenic tolerance and arsenate and phosphate supply. Plant Physiology 132: 1600–1609. , .
- 2007a. Can arsenic-phytochelatin complex formation be used as an indicator for toxicity in Helianthus annuus? Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1333–1338. , , , .
- 2007b. Uptake and translocation of inorganic and methylated arsenic species by plants. Environmental Chemistry 4: 197–203. , , , .
- 2002. Arsenic epidemiology and drinking water standards. Science 296: 2145–2146. , , , .
- 2000. Comparative toxicity of trivalent and pentavalent inorganic and methylated arsenicals in rat and human cells. Archives of Toxicology 74: 289–299. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Rice is more efficient in arsenite uptake and translocation than wheat and barley. Plant and Soil 328: 27–34. , , .
- 2001. The cellular metabolism and systemic toxicity of arsenic. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 176: 127–144. , , .
- 2004. Elucidating the pathway for arsenic methylation. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 198: 319–326. , , .
- 1970. A manual for the practical study of root-nodule bacteria. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Scientific. .
- 2005. Variation in arsenic speciation and concentration in paddy rice related to dietary exposure. Environmental Science & Technology 39: 5531–5540. , , , , , .
- 2007a. Market basket survey shows elevated levels of As in South Central US processed rice compared to California: consequences for human dietary exposure. Environmental Science & Technology 41: 2178–2183. , , , .
- 2007b. Greatly enhanced arsenic shoot assimilation in rice leads to elevated grain levels compared to wheat and barley. Environmental Science & Technology 41: 6854–6859. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Methylation of arsenic in vitro by cell extracts from bentgrass (Agrostis tenuis): effect of acute exposure of plants to arsenate. Functional Plant Biology 29: 73–80. , , .
- 2008. Growing rice aerobically markedly decreases arsenic accumulation. Environmental Science & Technology 42: 5574–5579. , , , .
- 2010. Arsenic speciation in phloem and xylem exudates of castor bean. Plant Physiology 154: 1505–1513. , , , , , , , .
- 1976. Laboratory manual for physiological studies of rice. Los Banos, Laguna, Philippines: The International Rice Research Institute. , , , .
- 2001. Human monomethylarsonic acid (MMA(V)) reductase is a member of the glutathione-S-transferase superfamily. Chemical Research in Toxicology 14: 1051–1057. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Arsenic in rice: II. Arsenic speciation in USA grain and implications for human health. Environmental Science & Technology 42: 3861–3866. , , , .
- 2010. Arsenic as a food-chain contaminant: mechanisms of plant uptake and metabolism and mitigation strategies. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 535–559. , , .
- 1996. DNA recovery from soils of diverse composition. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 62: 316–322. , , .