Mechanistic causes of tree drought mortality: recent results, unresolved questions and future research needs
Article first published online: 11 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 192, Issue 4, pages 800–803, December 2011
How to Cite
Zeppel, M. J. B., Adams, H. D. and Anderegg, W. R. L. (2011), Mechanistic causes of tree drought mortality: recent results, unresolved questions and future research needs. New Phytologist, 192: 800–803. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03960.x
- Issue published online: 11 NOV 2011
- Article first published online: 11 NOV 2011
- 2009. Temperature sensitivity of drought-induced tree mortality portends increased regional die-off under global-change-type drought. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 7063–7066. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. A global overview of drought and heat-induced tree mortality reveals emerging climate change risks for forests. Forest Ecology and Management 259: 660–684. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Ecological climatology. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2005. Europe-wide reduction in primary productivity caused by the heat and drought in 2003. Nature 437: 529–533. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Evidence for intensification of the global water cycle: review and synthesis. Journal of Hydrology 319: 83–95. .
- IPCC. 2007. Solomon S, Qin D, Manning M, Chen Z, Marquis M, Averyt KB, Tignor M, Miller HL, eds. Climate change 2007: the physical science basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the fourth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK & New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- 2010. Importance of resin ducts in reducing ponderosa pine mortality from bark beetle attack. Oecologia 164: 601–609. , .
- 2009. Widespread increase of tree mortality rates in the western United States. Science 323: 521–524. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Mechanisms linking drought, hydraulics, carbon metabolism, and vegetation mortality. Plant Physiology 155: 1051–1059. .
- 2008. Mechanisms of plant survival and mortality during drought: why do some plants survive while others succumb to drought? New Phytologist 178: 719–739. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The interdependence of mechanisms underlying climate-driven vegetation mortality. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 26: 523–532. , , , , , .
- 2009. Drought sensitivity of the Amazon Rainforest. Science 323: 1344–1347. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Tree responses to drought. Tree Physiology 31: 237–239. .
- 2009. Lack of direct evidence for the carbon-starvation hypothesis to explain drought-induced mortality in trees. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: E68. .
- 2010. Physiological mechanisms of drought-induced tree mortality are far from being resolved. New Phytologist 186: 274–281. , , .