Shiv D. Kale was a finalist for the 2011 New Phytologist Tansley Medal for excellence in plant science, which recognises an outstanding contribution to research in plant science by an individual in the early stages of their career; see the Editorial by Dolan, 193: 821–822.
Article first published online: 21 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Author. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 4, pages 874–881, March 2012
How to Cite
Kale, S. D. (2012), Oomycete and fungal effector entry, a microbial Trojan horse. New Phytologist, 193: 874–881. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03968.x
- Issue published online: 2 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 21 NOV 2011
- Received: 15 July 2011, Accepted: 6 October 2011
- 2010. Signatures of adaptation to obligate biotrophy in the Hyaloperonospora arabidopsidis genome. Science 330: 1549–1551. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Kiss and spit: the dual roles of Toxoplasma rhoptries. Nature Reviews. Microbiology 6: 79–88. , .
- 2010. Phytophthora infestans effector AVR3a is essential for virulence and manipulates plant immunity by stabilizing host E3 ligase CMPG1. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 9909–9914. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Mechanisms of endocytosis. Annual Review of Biochemistry 78: 857–902. , .
- 2011. Class II phosphoinositide 3-kinase regulates exocytosis of insulin granules in pancreatic β cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry 286: 4216–4225. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008a. Conserved C-terminal motifs required for avirulence and suppression of cell death by Phytophthora sojae effector Avr1b. Plant Cell 20: 1118–1133. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008b. RXLR-mediated entry of Phytophthora sojae effector Avr1b into soybean cells does not require pathogen-encoded machinery. Plant Cell 20: 1930–1947. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Rethinking phosphatidylinositol 3-monophosphate. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1793: 1795–1803. , .
- 2007. Heterochromatin-like regions as ecological niches for avirulence genes in the Leptosphaeria maculans genome: map-based cloning of AvrLm6. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 20: 459–470. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Lipid binding activities of flax rust AvrM and AvrL567 effectors. Plant Signaling and Behavior 5: 1272–1275. , , , , , .
- 2010. Powdery mildew fungal effector candidates share N-terminal Y/F/WxC-motif. BMC Genomics 11: 317. , , , , , .
- 2008. Plasmodium falciparum and Hyaloperonospora parasitica effector translocation motifs are functional in Phytophthora infestans. Microbiology 154: 3743–3751. , , , , .
- 2009. Genome sequence and analysis of the Irish potato famine pathogen Phytophthora infestans. Nature 461: 393–398. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Microbial pathogens in the fungal kingdom. Fungal Biology Reviews 25: 48–60. .
- 2008. Suppression of plant resistance gene-based immunity by a fungal effector. PLoS Pathogens 4: e1000061. , , .
- 2008. RXLR effector reservoir in two Phytophthora species is dominated by a single rapidly evolving superfamily with more than 700 members. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 4874–4879. , , , .
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature 444: 323–329. , .
- 2010. External lipid PI3P mediates entry of eukaryotic pathogen effectors into plant and animal host cells. Cell 142: 284–295. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Gene gain and loss during evolution of obligate parasitism in the white rust pathogen of Arabidopsis thaliana. PLoS Biology 9: e1001094. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Translocation of Magnaporthe oryzae effectors into rice cells and their subsequent cell-to-cell movement. Plant Cell 22: 1388–1403. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. A newly discovered protein export machine in malaria parasites. Nature 459: 945–949. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. PI3KC2α, a class II PI3K, is required for dynamin-independent internalization pathways. Journal of Cell Science 123: 4240–4250. , , .
- 2010. Genome sequence of the necrotrophic plant pathogen Pythium ultimum reveals original pathogenicity mechanisms and effector repertoire. Genome Biology 11: R73. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The highly charged region of plant β-type phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase is involved in membrane targeting and phospholipid binding. Plant Molecular Biology 60: 729–746. , , , , , , .
- 1993. Life cycle of the human and animal oomycete pathogen Pythium insidiosum. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 31: 2967–2973. , , .
- 2009. Common processes in pathogenesis by fungal and oomycete plant pathogens, described with Gene Ontology terms. BMC Microbiology 9(Suppl. 1): S7. , , , , .
- 2011. Independently evolved virulence effectors converge onto hubs in a plant immune system network. Science 333: 596–601. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. In planta expression screens of Phytophthora infestans RXLR effectors reveal diverse phenotypes, including activation of the Solanum bulbocastanum disease resistance protein Rpi-blb2. Plant Cell 21: 2928–2947. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A secreted effector protein of Laccaria bicolor is required for symbiosis development. Current Biology 21: 1–7. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Internalization of flax rust avirulence proteins into flax and tobacco cells can occur in the absence of the pathogen. Plant Cell 22: 2017–2032. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Multiple avirulence paralogues in cereal powdery mildew fungi may contribute to parasite fitness and defeat of plant resistance. Plant Cell 18: 2402–2414. , , , , , .
- 2005. Delivery into cells: lessons learned from plant and bacterial toxins. Gene Therapy 12: 865–872. , .
- 2010. Ancient class of translocated oomycete effectors targets the host nucleus. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 17421–17426. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The Avr1b locus of Phytophthora sojae encodes an elicitor and a regulator required for avirulence on soybean plants carrying resistance gene Rps1b. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 17: 394–403. , , , .
- 2009. Protein secretion systems in bacterial-host associations, and their description in the Gene Ontology. BMC Microbiology 9(Suppl 1): S2. , , .
- 2011. Entry of oomycete and fungal effectors into host cells. In: Martin F, Kamoun S, eds. Effectors in plant-microbe interactions. Hoboken, NJ, USA: John Wiley & Sons, 245–277.
- 2006. Phytophthora genome sequences uncover evolutionary origins and mechanisms of pathogenesis. Science 313: 1261–1266. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Transcriptional programming and functional interactions within the Phytophthora sojae RXLR effector repertoire. Plant Cell 23: 2064–2086. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The putative RxLR effector protein SpHtp1 from the fish pathogenic oomycete Saprolegnia parasitica is translocated into fish cells. FEMS (Federation of European Microbiological Societies) Microbiology Letters 310: 127–137. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. A translocation signal for delivery of oomycete effector proteins into host plant cells. Nature 450: 115–118. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Phosphatidylinositol monophosphate-binding interface in the oomycete RXLR effector AVR3a is required for its stability in host cells to modulate plant immunity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 14682–14687. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Association genetics reveals three novel avirulence genes from the rice blast fungal pathogen Magnaporthe oryzae. Plant Cell 21: 1573–1591. , , , , , , , , , et al.