These authors contributed equally to this work.
A novel role for histone methyltransferase KYP/SUVH4 in the control of Arabidopsis primary seed dormancy
Article first published online: 28 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 3, pages 605–616, February 2012
How to Cite
Zheng, J., Chen, F., Wang, Z., Cao, H., Li, X., Deng, X., Soppe, W. J. J., Li, Y. and Liu, Y. (2012), A novel role for histone methyltransferase KYP/SUVH4 in the control of Arabidopsis primary seed dormancy. New Phytologist, 193: 605–616. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03969.x
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 28 NOV 2011
- Received: 18 September 2011, Accepted: 17 October 2011
- 2010. Decoding the epigenetic language of plant development. Molecular Plant 3: 719–728. , , .
- 2003. Analysis of natural allelic variation at seed dormancy loci of Arabidopsis thaliana. Genetics 164: 711–729. , , , , .
- 2007. Seed germination of GA-insensitive sleepy1 mutants does not require RGL2 protein disappearance in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 19: 791–804. , .
- 2001. A Bayesian framework for analysis of microarray expression data: regularized t-test and statistical inferences of gene changes. Bioinformatics 17: 509–519. , .
- 2001. The Arabidopsis thaliana genome contains at least 29 active genes encoding SET domain proteins that can be assigned to four evolutionarily conserved classes. Nucleic Acids Research 29: 4319–4333. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Interactions between abscisic acid and ethylene signaling cascades. Plant Cell 12: 1103–1115. , , , .
- 2010. Natural variation for seed dormancy in Arabidopsis is regulated by additive genetic and molecular pathways. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 4264–4269. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Cloning of DOG1, a quantitative trait locus controlling seed dormancy in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 17042–17047. , , , .
- 1997. Seed germination and dormancy. The Plant Cell 9: 1055–1066. .
- 2006. Gene expression profiles of Arabidopsis Cvi seeds during dormancy cycling indicate a common underlying dormancy control mechanism. Plant Journal 46: 805–822. , , , .
- 2005. Loss of function of four DELLA genes leads to light-and gibberellin-independent seed germination in Arabidopsis. Planta 223: 105–113. , , , .
- 2008. Seed after-ripening is a discrete developmental pathway associated with specific gene networks in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 53: 214–224. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Gene expression profiling reveals defined functions of the ATP-binding cassette transporter COMATOSE late in Phase II of germination. Plant Physiology 143: 1669–1679. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Involvement of Arabidopsis histone deacetylase HDA6 in ABA and salt stress response. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 3345–3353. , , , .
- 2010. Role of histone deacetylases HDA6 and HDA19 in ABA and abiotic stress response. Plant Signaling and Behavior 5: 1318–1320. , .
- 2006. Proteomic analysis of seed dormancy in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 142: 1493–1510. , , , , , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 1996. A protein farnesyl transferase involved in abscisic acid signal transduction in Arabidopsis. Science 273: 1239–1241. , , , , .
- 2000. Gibberellin requirement for Arabidopsis seed germination is determined both by testa characteristics and embryonic abscisic acid. Plant Physiology 122: 415–424. , .
- 2006. Locus-specific control of DNA methylation by the Arabidopsis SUVH5 histone methyltransferase. Plant Cell 18: 1166–1176. , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis seed development and germination is associated with temporally distinct metabolic switches. Plant Physiology 142: 839–854. , , , , , , .
- 2006. Seed dormancy and the control of germination. New Phytologist 171: 501–523. , .
- 2007. Molecular aspects of seed dormancy. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 387–415. , , , .
- 1998. The Arabidopsis abscisic acid response locus ABI4 encodes an APETALA2 domain protein. Plant Cell 10: 1043–1054. , , , , .
- 1992. Isolation of the Arabidopsis ABI3 gene by positional cloning. Plant Cell 4: 1251–1261. , , , , , .
- 2010. Cross-species approaches to seed dormancy and germination: conservation and biodiversity of ABA-regulated mechanisms and the Brassicaceae DOG1 genes. Plant Molecular Biology 73: 67–87. , , , , , .
- 2009. Transcript elongation factor TFIIS is involved in Arabidopsis seed dormancy. Journal of Molecular Biology 386: 598–611. , , , , , .
- 2007. Combined networks regulating seed maturation. Trends in Plant Science 12: 294–300. , , , .
- 1998. The expression of a peroxiredoxin antioxidant gene, AtPer1, in Arabidopsis thaliana is seed-specific and related to dormancy. Plant Molecular Biology 36: 833–845. , , , , .
- 2011. The epigenome and plant development. Annual Review of Plant Biology 62: 411–435. , , .
- 2008. Molecular networks regulating Arabidopsis seed maturation, after-ripening, dormancy and germination. New Phytologist 179: 33–54. , , .
- 1998. The chromo and SET domains of the CLR4 protein are essential for silencing in fission yeast. Nature Genetics 19: 192–195. , , , .
- 2004. Dimethylation of histone H3 lysine 9 is a critical mark for DNA methylation and gene silencing in Arabidopsis thaliana. Chromosoma 112: 308–315. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Control of CpNpG DNA methylation by the KRYPTONITE histone H3 methyltransferase. Nature 416: 556–560. , , , .
- 2011. Arabidopsis COMPASS-like complexes mediate histone H3 lysine-4 trimethylation to control floral transition and plant development. PLoS Genetics 7: e1001330. , , , , .
- 2002. Interplay between two epigenetic marks. DNA methylation and histone H3 lysine 9 methylation. Current Biology 12: 1360–1367. , , .
- 1982. The isolation of abscisic acid (ABA) deficient mutants by selection of induced revertants in non-germinating gibberellin sensitive lines of Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 61: 385–393. , , , .
- 1984. The isolation and characterization of abscisic acid-insensitive mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. Physiologia Plantarum 61: 377–383. , , .
- 1980. Induction and analysis of gibberellin sensitive mutants in Arabidopsis thaliana (L.) Heynh. Theoretical and Applied Genetics 58: 257–263. , .
- 2003. Regulation of storage protein gene expression in Arabidopsis. Development 130: 6065–6073. , , , , .
- 2005. Plant hormone interactions during seed dormancy release and germination. Seed Science Research 15: 281–307. , , .
- 2002. Gibberellin regulates Arabidopsis seed germination via RGL2, a GAI/RGA-like gene whose expression is up-regulated following imbibition. Genes and Development 16: 646–658. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Functional analysis of Arabidopsis NCED6 and NCED9 genes indicates that ABA synthesized in the endosperm is involved in the induction of seed dormancy. The Plant Journal 45: 309–319. , , , , , , , .
- 1996. Isolation and characterization of abscisic acid-deficient Arabidopsis mutants at two new loci. The Plant Journal 10: 655–661. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Identification of the Arabidopsis REDUCED DORMANCY 2 gene uncovered a role for the polymerase associated factor 1 complex in seed dormancy. PLoS ONE 6: e22241. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The absence of histone H2B monoubiquitination in the Arabidopsis hub1 (rdo4) mutant reveals a role for chromatin remodeling in seed dormancy. The Plant Cell 19: 433–444. , , .
- 2009. Regulators of PP2C phosphatase activity function as abscisic acid sensors. Science 324: 1064–1068. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Structural basis of abscisic acid signalling. Nature 462: 609–614. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Genome-wide profiling of stored mRNA in Arabidopsis thaliana seed germination: epigenetic and genetic regulation of transcription in seed. Plant Journal 41: 697–709. , , , , .
- 2009. Three Arabidopsis SNRK2 protein kinases, SRK2D/SNRK2.2, SRK2E/SNRK2.6/OST1 and SRK2I/SNRK2.3, involved in ABA signaling are essential for the control of seed development and dormancy. Plant and Cell Physiology 50: 1345–1363. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2000. The role of ABI3 and FUS3 loci in Arabidopsis thaliana on phase transition from late embryo development to germination. Developmental Biology 220: 412–423. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Isolation and characterization of novel mutants affecting the abscisic acid sensitivity of Arabidopsis germination and seedling growth. Plant and Cell Physiology 45: 1485–1499. , , , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis seed secrets unravelled after a decade of genetic and omics-driven research. Plant Journal 61: 971–981. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Gibberellin biosynthesis and response during Arabidopsis seed germination. Plant Cell 15: 1591–1604. , , , , , .
- 2006. CYP707A1 and CYP707A2, which encode abscisic acid 8’-hydroxylases, are indispensable for proper control of seed dormancy and germination in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 141: 97. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Genome-wide analysis of endogenous abscisic acid-mediated transcription in dry and imbibed seeds of Arabidopsis using tiling arrays. Plant Journal 62: 39–51. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Abscisic acid inhibits type 2C protein phosphatases via the PYR/PYL family of START proteins. Science 324: 1068–1071. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Cold and light control seed germination through the bHLH transcription factor SPATULA. Current Biology 15: 1998–2006. , , , , , .
- 2002. The role of GA-mediated signalling in the control of seed germination. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 376–381. , .
- 2009. The GA-signaling repressor RGL3 represses testa rupture in response to changes in GA and ABA levels. Plant Signaling and Behavior 4: 63–65. , .
- 2000. Growth retardants: effects on gibberellin biosynthesis and other metabolic pathways. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 501–531. .
- 2011. A dual flip-out mechanism for 5mC recognition by the Arabidopsis SUVH5 SRA domain and its impact on DNA methylation and H3K9 dimethylation in vivo. Genes and Development 25: 137–152. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Turning on gibberellin and abscisic acid signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 9: 454–459. , , .
- 2009. Seed dormancy and ABA signaling: the breakthrough goes on. Plant Signaling and Behavior 4: 1035–1049. , , .
- 2007. Control of DNA methylation and heterochromatic silencing by histone H2B deubiquitination. Nature 447: 735–738. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Molecular cloning of Sdr4, a regulator involved in seed dormancy and domestication of rice. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 5792–5797. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The conserved splicing factor SUA controls alternative splicing of the developmental regulator ABI3 in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell Online 22: 1936–1946. , , , , .
- 2008. High temperature-induced abscisic acid biosynthesis and its role in the inhibition of gibberellin action in Arabidopsis seeds. Plant Physiology 146: 1368–1385. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Differentially expressed genes associated with dormancy or germination of Arabidopsis thaliana seeds. Planta 221: 637–647. , , , , .
- 1994. The protein encoded by the Drosophila position-effect variegation suppressor gene Su (var) 3-9 combines domains of antagonistic regulators of homeotic gene complexes. The EMBO Journal 13: 3822–3831. , , , , , .
- 2009. Type 2C protein phosphatases directly regulate abscisic acid-activated protein kinases in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 17588–17593. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Mechanisms of cross talk between gibberellin and other hormones. Plant Physiology 144: 1240. , .
- 1992. Gibberellin is required for flowering in Arabidopsis thaliana under short days. Plant Physiology 100: 403–408. , , .
- 2000. Transcription elongation factor SII. Bioessays 22: 327–336. , .