This work is dedicated to the memory of Hanns Ulrich Seitz who died on 17 August 2011.
Isoprene emission-free poplars – a chance to reduce the impact from poplar plantations on the atmosphere
Article first published online: 5 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Bioenergy trees’
Volume 194, Issue 1, pages 70–82, April 2012
How to Cite
Behnke, K., Grote, R., Brüggemann, N., Zimmer, I., Zhou, G., Elobeid, M., Janz, D., Polle, A. and Schnitzler, J.-P. (2012), Isoprene emission-free poplars – a chance to reduce the impact from poplar plantations on the atmosphere. New Phytologist, 194: 70–82. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03979.x
- Issue published online: 24 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 5 DEC 2011
- Received: 25 August 2011, Accepted: 14 October 2011
- 2010. Hybrid poplar growth in bioenergy production systems: biomass prediction with a simple process-based model (3PG). Biomass and Bioenergy 34: 687–702. , , .
- 2008. Yield and spatial supply of bioenergy poplar and willow short-rotation coppice in the UK. New Phytologist 178: 358–370. , , , , , .
- 2007. Transgenic, non-isoprene emitting poplars don’t like it hot. Plant Journal 51: 485–499. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010b. RNAi-mediated suppression of isoprene emission in poplar transiently impacts phenolic metabolism under high temperature and high light intensities: a transcriptomic and metabolomic analysis. Plant Molecular Biology 74: 61–75. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. RNAi mediated suppression of isoprene biosynthesis impacts ozone tolerance. Tree Physiology 29: 725–736. , , , , , .
- 2010a. Isoprene emission protects photosynthesis in sunfleck exposed Grey poplar. Photosynthesis Research 104: 5–17. , , , , , .
- 2011. Bioenergy production potential of global biomass plantations under environmental and agricultural constraints. Global Change Biology Bioenergy 3: 299–312. , , .
- 1994. Simulated irradiance and temperature estimates as a possible source of bias in the simulation of photosynthesis. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 71: 19–32. .
- 2011. Plant–insect interactions. Phytochemistry 72: 1497–1509. , , .
- 1996. TREEDYN3 forest simulation model. Ecological Modelling 90: 187–227. .
- 2009. Constitutive and herbivore-induced monoterpenes emitted by Populus ×euroamericana leaves are key volatiles that orient Chrysomela populi beetles. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 542–552. , , , , , .
- 2002. Comparison of different methods for lignin determination as a basis for calibration of near infrared spectroscopy and implications of ligno-proteins. Journal of Chemical Ecology 28: 2483–2501. , , .
- 2000. Photosynthetic fractionation of carbon isotopes. In: Leegood RC, Sharkey TD, von Caemmerer S, eds. Photosynthesis: physiology and metabolism, advances in photosynthesis. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 399–434. , .
- 2005. Canopy profiles of photosynthetic parameters under elevated CO2 and N fertilization in a poplar plantation. Environmental Pollution 137: 525–535. , , , , , , .
- 2007. N2O release from agro-biofuel production negates global warming reduction by replacing fossil fuels. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics Discussion 7: 11191–11205. , , , .
- 1961. Leaf and shoot blight of poplars (section Tacamahaca Spach) caused by Venturia populina (Vuill.) Fabric. Canadian Journal of Botany 39: 875–890. .
- 2011. Four terpene synthases produce major compounds of the gypsy moth feeding-induced volatile blend of Populus trichocarpa. Phytochemistry 72: 897–908. , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Simulation of assimilation, respiration and transpiration of crops. Wageningen, the Netherlands: Centre for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation (Pudoc). , , , , , .
- 2004. Carbon sequestration following afforestation of agricultural soils: comparing oak/beech forest to short-rotation poplar coppice combining a process and a carbon accounting model. Global Change Biology 10: 1482–1491. , , , .
- 2009. Effects of oleoresins and monoterpenes on in vitro growth of fungi associated with pine decline in the southern United States. Forest Pathology 39: 157–167. , , .
- 2009. Induced resistance to pests and pathogens in trees. New Phytologist 185: 893–908. , , , .
- 2008. Land clearing and the biofuel carbon debt. Science 319: 1235–1238. , , , , .
- 1980. A biochemical model of photosynthetic CO2 assimilation in leaves of C3 species. Planta 149: 78–90. , , .
- 2005. Redox homeostasis and antioxidant signaling: a metabolic interface between stress perception and physiological responses. The Plant Cell 17: 1866–1875. , .
- 2000. Biogenic hydrocarbons in the atmospheric boundary layer: a review. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 1537–1575. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Biogenic volatile organic compound and respiratory CO2 emissions after 13C-labeling: online tracing of C translocation dynamics in poplar plants. PLoS One 6: e17393. , , , , .
- 2003. Three years of free-air CO2 enrichment (POPFACE) only slightly affect profiles of light and leaf characteristics in closed canopies of Populus. Global Change Biology 9: 1022–1037. , , , , , , , .
- 1992. Regulation of photosynthesis by end-product accumulation in leaves of plants storing starch, sucrose, and hexose sugars. Plant Physiology 99: 1443–1448. , .
- 1998. Integrating dynamic morphological properties into forest growth modeling. II. Allocation and mortality. Forest Ecology and Management 111: 193–210. .
- 2007. Sensitivity of volatile monoterpene emission to changes in canopy structure – a model based exercise with a process-based emission model. New Phytologist 173: 550–561. .
- 2011. Modelling forest carbon balances considering tree mortality and removal. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 151: 179–190. , , , , .
- 2009a. Modelling the drought impact on monoterpene fluxes from an evergreen Mediterranean forest canopy. Oecologia 160: 213–223. , , , , , .
- 2009b. Modelling and observation of biosphere–atmosphere interactions in natural savannah in Burkina Faso, West Africa. Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 34: 251–260. , , , , , .
- 2006. Process-based modelling of isoprenoid emissions from evergreen leaves of Quercus ilex (L.). Atmospheric Environment 40: 152–165. , , , , , .
- 1999. Short rotation plantation of aspen and balsam poplars on former arable land in Germany: defoliating insects and leaf constituents. Forest Ecology and Management 121: 113–122. , , .
- 2009. Nitrogen management is essential to prevent tropical oil palm plantations from causing ground-level ozone pollution. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 106: 18447–18451. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Environmental, economic, and energetic costs and benefits of biodiesel and ethanol biofuels. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 103: 11206–11210. , , , , .
- 2009. Greenhouse gas emissions from four bioenergy crops in England and Wales: integrating spatial estimates of yield and soil carbon balance in life cycle analyses. Global Change Biology Bioenergy 1: 267–281. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Water fluxes within beech stands in complex terrain. International Journal of Biometeorology 54: 23–36. , , , , , , .
- 1967. Standard volume tables and merchantable conversion factors for the commercial tree species of central and eastern Canada. Ottawa, ON, Canada: Department of Forestry Rural Development, Forest Management Research and Services Institute, Information report FMR-X-5. .
- 2011. Isoprene suppression of new particle formation in a mixed deciduous forest. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11: 6013–6027. , , , , , , .
- 2001. The occurrence of an undescribed species of Venturia in blighted shoots of Populus tremula. Mycological Research 105: 338–343. , , .
- 2006. Genes, enzymes and chemicals of terpenoid diversity in the constitutive and induced defence of conifers against insects and pathogens. New Phytologist 170: 657–675. , .
- 1999. Biogenic volatile organic compounds (VOC): an overview on emission, physiology and ecology. Journal of Atmospheric Chemistry 33: 23–88. , .
- 2009. New particle formation in forests inhibited by isoprene emissions. Nature 461: 381–384. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Relating ecologically important tree traits to associated organisms in full-sib aspen families. European Journal of Forest Research 130: 707–716. , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Repeated insect defoliation effects on growth, nitrogen acquisition, carbohydrates, and root demography of poplars. Oecologia 129: 65–74. , , , .
- 2008. The role of isoprene in insect herbivory. Plant Signaling & Behavior 3: 1141–1142. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Population dynamics in a 6-year-old coppice culture of poplar II. Size variability and one-sided competition of shoots and stools. Forest Ecology and Management 218: 115–128. , , .
- 2001. Modeling of annual variations of oak (Quercus robur L.) isoprene synthase activity to predict isoprene emission rates. Journal of Geophysical Research 106: 3157–3166. , , , .
- 2007. Downregulation of cinnamoyl-coenzyme A reductase in poplar: multiple-level phenotyping reveals effects on cell wall polymer metabolism and structure. The Plant Cell 19: 3669–3691. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Bioenergy retains its mitigation potential under elevated CO2. PLoS ONE 5: e11648. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Arabidopsis, a model to study biological functions of isoprene emission? Plant Physiology 144: 1066–1078. , , , , , , .
- 2008. Isoprene interferes with the attraction of bodyguards by herbaceous plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science 105: 17430–17435. , , , .
- 2010. Abiotic stresses and induced BVOCs. Trends in Plant Science 15: 154–166. , .
- 2009. Wood composition and energy content in a poplar short rotation plantation on fertilized agricultural land in a future CO2 atmosphere. Global Change Biology 15: 38–47. , .
- 2008. Regulation of photosynthesis by sugars in sugarcane leaves. Journal of Plant Physiology 165: 1817–1829. , , .
- 2010. Evaluation of a process-based ecosystem model for long-term biomass and stand development of Eucalyptus globulus plantations. European Journal of Forest Research 129: 377–391. , , , , .
- 2007. The transcriptional response of hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × P. deltoides) to infection by Melampsora medusae Leaf Rust involves induction of flavonoid pathway genes leading to the accumulation of proanthocyanidins. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 20: 816–831. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Atmospheric composition change – global and regional air quality. Atmospheric Environment 43: 5268–5350. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. The specificity of fungal pathogens of Populus. In: Stettler RF, Bradshaw HD Jr, Heilman PE, Hinckley TM, eds. Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation. Ottawa, ON, USA: NRC Research Press, National Research Council of Canada, 223–246. .
- 1998. Ascorbate and glutathione: keeping active oxygen under control. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 49: 249–279. , .
- 2000. Photosynthesis, sugars and the regulation of gene expression. Journal of Experimental Botany 51: 407–416. , , , .
- 1986. The conversion of procyanidins and prodelphinidins to cyanidin and delphinidin. Phytochemistry 25: 223–230. , , .
- 1996. The structure and function of Populus root systems. In: Stettler RF, Bradshaw HD Jr, Heilman PE, Hinckley TM, eds. Biology of Populus and its implications for management and conservation. Ottawa, ON, USA: NRC Research Press, National Research Council of Canada, 331–354. , .
- 2008. FTIR spectroscopy in combination with principal component analysis or cluster analysis as a tool to distinguish beech (Fagus sylvatica L.) trees grown at different sites. Holzforschung 62: 530–538. , , , .
- 2008. Comparisons between PnET-Day and eddy covariance based gross ecosystem production in two northern Wisconsin forests. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 148: 247–256. , , , , .
- 2005. Biochemical properties of isoprene synthase in poplar (Populus × canescens). Planta 222: 777–786. , , , , , .
- 2008. Use of U.S. croplands for biofuels increases greenhouse gases through emissions from land-use change. Science 319: 1238–1240. , , , , , , , , .
- 1995. Why plants emit isoprene. Nature 374: 769. , .
- 2008. Isoprene emission from plants: why and how. Annals of Botany 101: 5–18. , , .
- 2001. Isoprene emission from plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 52: 407–436. , .
- 2006. Practical approaches to plant volatile analysis. The Plant Journal 45: 540–560. , , , , , .
- 2001. Partial purification and characterization of the short-chain prenyltransferases, geranyl diphosphate synthase and farnesyl diphosphate synthase, from Abies grandis (Grand Fir). Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics 386: 233–242. , , .
- 2000. Modelling the components of plant respiration: representation and realism. Annals of Botany 85: 55–67. , .
- 1980. Influence of light and temperature on monoterpene emission rates from slash pine. Plant Physiology 65: 797–801. , , , .
- 2006. Occurrence, development and economic importance of Phratora (= Phyllodecta) vitellinae (L.) (Coleoptera, Chrysomelidae). Journal of Forest Science 52: 357–385. .
- 2007. Short-rotation forestry of birch, maple, poplar and willow in Flanders (Belgium) II. Energy production and CO2 emission reduction potential. Biomass and Bioenergy 31: 276–283. , , , , .
- 2005. On the relationship between isoprene emission and thermotolerance in Phragmites australis leaves exposed to high temperatures and during the recovery from a heat stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 318–327. , .
- 2009a. A unified mechanism of action for volatile isoprenoids in plant abiotic stress. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 283–291. , , , .
- 2009b. Isoprene synthesis protects transgenic tobacco plants from oxidative stress. Plant, Cell & Environment 32: 520–531. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Enhanced isoprene-related tolerance of heat- and light-stressed photosynthesis at low, but not high, CO2 concentrations. Oecologia 166: 273–282. , , , .
- 2006. Future changes in biogenic isoprene emissions: how might they affect regional and global atmospheric chemistry? Earth Interactions 10: 1–19. , , .
- 2002. Microanalytical method for the characterization of fiber components and morphology of woody plants. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 50: 1040–1044. , , .
- 2011. Antimicrobial flavonoids from the twigs of Populus nigra × Populus deltoides. Natural Products Research 1: 1–7. , , , , , , .
- 2011. FTIR-ATR-based prediction and modelling of lignin and energy contents reveals independent intra-specific variation of these traits in bioenergy poplars. Plant Methods 7: 9. , , .
- 2010. Parameterization of a coupled CO2 and H2O gas exchange model at the leaf scale of Populus euphratica. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 14: 419–431. , , , .