Variation in grain arsenic assessed in a diverse panel of rice (Oryza sativa) grown in multiple sites
Article first published online: 5 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 3, pages 650–664, February 2012
How to Cite
Norton, G. J., Pinson, S. R. M., Alexander, J., Mckay, S., Hansen, H., Duan, G.-L., Rafiqul Islam, M., Islam, S., Stroud, J. L., Zhao, F.-J., McGrath, S. P., Zhu, Y.-G., Lahner, B., Yakubova, E., Guerinot, M. L., Tarpley, L., Eizenga, G. C., Salt, D. E., Meharg, A. A. and Price, A. H. (2012), Variation in grain arsenic assessed in a diverse panel of rice (Oryza sativa) grown in multiple sites. New Phytologist, 193: 650–664. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03983.x
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2012
- Article first published online: 5 DEC 2011
- Received: 19 September 2011, Accepted: 25 October 2011
- 2008. Arsenate, arsenite and dimethyl arsinic acid (DMA) uptake and tolerance in maize (Zea mays L.). Plant and Soil 304: 277–289. , .
- 2009. Enhanced transfer of arsenic to grain for Bangladesh grown rice compared to US and EU. Environment International 35: 476–479. , , , , , .
- 2011. Genotype and environment effects on rice (Oryza sativa L.) grain arsenic concentration in Bangladesh. Plant and Soil 338: 367–382. , , , , , , .
- 2011. A rice diversity panel evaluated for genetic and agro-morphological diversity between subpopulations and its geographic distribution. Crop Science 51: 2021–2035. , , , , , .
- 2011. Effects of arsenic compound amendment on arsenic speciation in rice grain. Environmental Science and Technology 45: 1291–1297. , , , .
- 2009. Mitigation of arsenic contamination in irrigated paddy soils in South and South-east Asia. Environment International 35: 856–863. .
- 2009. Presence of arsenic in agricultural products from arsenic-endemic areas and strategies to reduce arsenic intake in rural villages. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research 53: 531–541. , , , , .
- 2010. Grain unloading of arsenic species in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Plant Physiology 152: 309–319. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Genotypic and environmental variation in cadmium, chromium, arsenic, nickel, and lead concentrations in rice grains. Journal of Zhejiang University. Science. B. 7: 565–571. , , , , .
- 2002. Influence of the field water management on accumulation of arsenic and cadmium in paddy rice. Developments in Plant and Soil Sciences 92: 290–291. , , , .
- 2010. Spatial and temporal variations of groundwater arsenic in South and Southeast Asia. Science 328: 1123–1127. , , .
- 2011. Identification of tetramethylarsonium in rice grains with elevated arsenic content. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 13: 32–34. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Arsenic mitigation strategy for rice, using water regime management. Land Contamination and Reclamation 14: 805–813. , , .
- 2008. Efficient control of population structure in model organism association mapping. Genetics 178: 1709–1723. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Mitigation of arsenic accumulation in rice with water management and silicon fertilization. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 3778–3783. , , , , .
- 2010. Complexation of arsenite with phytochelatins reduces arsenite efflux and translocation from roots to shoots in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 152: 2211–2221. , , , , , .
- 2009. Baseline soil variation is a major factor in arsenic accumulation in Bengal Delta paddy rice. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 1724–1729. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. Arsenic uptake and metabolism in arsenic resistant and nonresistant plant species. New Phytologist 154: 29–43. , .
- 2009. Geographical variation in total and inorganic arsenic content of polished (white) rice. Environmental Science and Technology 43: 1612–1617. , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010b. Genetic mapping of the rice ionome in leaves and grain: identification of QTLs for 17 elements including arsenic, cadmium, iron and selenium. Plant and Soil 329: 139–153. , , , , , .
- 2009b. Environmental and genetic control of arsenic accumulation and speciation in rice grain: comparing a range of common cultivars grown in contaminated sites across Bangladesh, China and India. Environmental Science & Technology. 43: 8381–8386. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009a. Identification of low inorganic and total grain arsenic rice cultivars from Bangladesh. Environmental Science & Technology 43: 6070–6075. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010a. Arsenic shoot – grain relationships in field grown rice cultivars. Environmental Science & Technology 44: 1471–1477. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Total grain-arsenic and arsenic-species concentrations in diverse rice cultivars under flooded conditions. Crop Science 50: 2065–2075. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155: 945–959. , , .
- 2007b. Can arsenic-phytochelatin complex formation be used as an indicator for toxicity in Helianthus annuus? Journal of Experimental Botany 58: 1333–1338. , , , .
- 2007a. Uptake and translocation of inorganic and methylated arsenic species by plants. Environmental Chemistry 4: 197–203. , , , .
- 2009. Arsenic levels in rice grain and assessment of daily dietary intake of As from rice in As-contaminated regions of Bangladesh. Environmental Geochemistry and Health 31: 179–187. , , .
- 2007. Dynamics of arsenic in agricultural soils irrigated with arsenic contaminated groundwater in Bangladesh. Science of the Total Environment 379: 180–189. , .
- Soil Conservation Service. 1995. Soil Conservation Service, USDA. Soil taxonomy. Washington, DC, USA: US Government Printing Office.
- 2011. The dynamics of arsenic in four paddy fields in the Bengal delta. Environmental Pollution 159: 947–953. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Inorganic arsenic in rice bran and its products are an order of magnitude higher than in bulk grain. Environmental Science & Technology 42: 7542–7546. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Survey of arsenic and its speciation in rice products such as breakfast cereals, rice crackers and Japanese rice condiments. Environment International 35: 473–475. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Internodal compartmentation of stem-infused [14C] sucrose in sweet and grain sorghum. Crop Science 34: 1116–1120. , , .
- 2010. Recent advances in arsenic accumulation and metabolism in rice. Molecular Breeding 26: 307–323. , , , .
- 2010. Development of a research platform for dissecting phenotype–genotype associations in rice (Oryza spp.). Rice 3: 205–217. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- WHO. 1993. WHO, Water Sanitation and Health. Guidelines for drinking-water quality, 2nd edn. Geneva, Switzerland: WHO.
- WHO. 2010. Joint FAO/WHO Expert committee on food additives, Seventy-second meeting (JECFA/72/SC). Rome, Italy: WHO.
- 2006. Increase in rice grain arsenic for regions of Bangladesh irrigating paddies with elevated arsenic in groundwaters. Environmental Science and Technology 40: 4903–4908. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Variation in arsenic speciation and concentration in paddy rice related to dietary exposure. Environmental Science and Technology 39: 5531–5540. , , , , , .
- 2007. Greatly enhanced arsenic shoot assimilation in rice leads to elevated grain levels compared to wheat and barley. Environmental Science and Technology, 41: 6854–6859. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Growing rice aerobically markedly decreases arsenic accumulation. Environmental Science and Technology 42: 5574–5579. , , , .
- 2008. Genotypic difference in arsenic and cadmium accumulation by rice seedlings grown in hydroponics. Journal of Plant Nutrition 3: 2168–2182. , .
- 2008. Mapping quantitative trait loci associated with arsenic accumulation in rice (Oryza sativa). New Phytologist 177: 350–355. , , , , , .
- 2009. Arsenic uptake and metabolism in plants. New Phytologist 181: 777–794. , , , .
- 2010a. Arsenic as a food chain contaminant: mechanisms of plant uptake and metabolism and mitigation strategies. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 535–559. , , .
- 2010b. Genomic diversity and introgression in O. sativa reveal the impact of domestication and breeding on the rice genome. PLoS ONE 5: e10780. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Spatial distribution of arsenic and temporal variation of its concentration in rice. New Phytologist 189: 200–209. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008b. Exposure to inorganic arsenic from rice: a global health issue? Environmental Pollution 154: 169–171. , , .
- 2008a. High percentage inorganic arsenic content of mining impacted and non-impacted Chinese rice. Environmental Science and Technology 42: 5008–5013. , , , , , , , , , et al.