Terrestrial vs aquatic plants: how general is the drag tolerance–avoidance trade-off?
Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2011
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 1, pages 6–8, January 2012
How to Cite
Anten, N. P. R. and Sterck, F. J. (2012), Terrestrial vs aquatic plants: how general is the drag tolerance–avoidance trade-off?. New Phytologist, 193: 6–8. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.03994.x
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 2 DEC 2011
- 2010. Effects of wind and mechanical stimuli on leaf mechanical properties in Plantago major. New Phytologist 188: 554–564. , , , .
- 2005. Fluid-flow induced flutter of a flag. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, USA 102: 1829–1834. , .
- 2005. Tradeoffs related to ecosystem engineering: a case study of emerging macrophytes. Ecology 86: 2187–2199. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Safety and streamlining of woody shoots in wind: an empirical study across 39 species in tropical Australia. New Phytologist 193: 137–149. , , , , .
- 2002. The mechanics of wave swept algae. Journal of Experimental Botany 205: 1355–1362. , .
- 1997. Wind as an ecological factor. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 12: 108–111. .
- 1997. Field and wind tunnel assessments of the implications of respacing and thinning for tree stability. Forestry 70: 233–252. , , , .
- 2006. Wood mechanics, allometry and life history variation in a tropical rain forest tree community. New Phytologist 171: 367–378. , , .
- 1965. Fluid-dynamic drag. Bricktown, NJ, USA: Hoerner Fluid Dynamics. .
- 1992. Plant biomechanics: an engineering approach to plant form and function. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1996. Differences between Acer saccharum leaves from open and wind-protected sites. Annals of Botany 78: 61–66. .
- 2011. Plant resistance to mechanical stress: evidence of an avoidance–tolerance trade-off. New Phytologist 191: 1141–1149. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Note on the history of the Reynolds number. Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics 22: 1–11. .
- 1994. Life in moving fluids. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 2009. Leaves in the lowest and highest wind: temperature, force and shape. New Phytologist 183: 13–26. .
- 1976. Mechanical design in organisms. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. , , , .