The major volatile organic compound emitted from Arabidopsis thaliana flowers, the sesquiterpene (E)-β-caryophyllene, is a defense against a bacterial pathogen
Article first published online: 20 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 4, pages 997–1008, March 2012
How to Cite
Huang, M., Sanchez-Moreiras, A. M., Abel, C., Sohrabi, R., Lee, S., Gershenzon, J. and Tholl, D. (2012), The major volatile organic compound emitted from Arabidopsis thaliana flowers, the sesquiterpene (E)-β-caryophyllene, is a defense against a bacterial pathogen. New Phytologist, 193: 997–1008. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04001.x
- Issue published online: 2 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 20 DEC 2011
- Received: 12 October 2011, Accepted: 3 November 2011
- 1996. Bacterial pathogens in plants: life up against the wall. Plant Cell 8: 1683–1698. , .
- 2003. Genome-wide insertional mutagenesis of Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 301: 653–657. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Antimicrobial activity of essential oils isolated from Phlomis crinita Cav. ssp mauritanica Munby. Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society 85: 845–849. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The ecology and biogeography of microorganisms of plant surfaces. Annual Review of Phytopathology 38: 145–180. , .
- 2003. Atmospheric degradation of volatile organic compounds. Chemical Reviews 103: 4605–4638. , .
- 2008. Biological effects of essential oils – a review. Food and Chemical Toxicology 46: 446–475. , , , .
- 1993. In plantaAgrobacterium mediated gene transfer by infiltration of adult Arabidopsis thaliana plants. Comptes Rendus de L’Academie des Sciences Serie III—Sciences de la Vie—Life Sciences 316: 1194–1199. , , .
- 2006. Fine tuning plant defence signalling: salicylate versus jasmonate. Plant Biology 8: 1–10. , .
- 2009. Plant–microbe interactions: chemical diversity in plant defense. Science 324: 746–748. , .
- 2006. Identification of (–)-β-caryophyllene as a gender-specific terpene produced by the multicolored Asian lady beetle. Journal of Chemical Ecology 32: 2489–2499. , , , .
- 2004. Ecology of yeasts in plant–bumblebee mutualism in central Europe. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 50: 87–100. .
- 2003. The nectary as the primary site of infection by Erwinia amylovora (Burr.) Winslow et al.: a mini review. Plant Systematics and Evolution 238: 183–194. , , .
- 2004. Tobacco Nectarin III is a bifunctional enzyme with monodehydroascorbate reductase and carbonic anhydrase activities. Plant Molecular Biology 54: 415–425. , .
- 2007. Preventing biofilm formation: promoting cell separation with terpenes. FEMS Microbiology Ecology 61: 406–413. , .
- 2010. Microtubules are an intracellular target of the plant terpene citral. Plant Journal 61: 399–408. , , , , , .
- 2003. Biosynthesis and emission of terpenoid volatiles from Arabidopsis flowers. Plant Cell 15: 481–494. , , , , , .
- 1999. Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 12: 564–582. .
- 1998. Herbivore-infested plants selectively attract parasitoids. Nature 393: 570–573. , , , , .
- 2007. Antibacterial activity of the essential oils of Salvia officinalis and Salvia triloba cultivated in South Brazil. Food Chemistry 100: 603–608. , , , , .
- 1995. Biosynthesis of acyclic homoterpenes: enzyme selectivity and absolute configuration of the nerolidol precursor. Phytochemistry 39: 785–790. , .
- 1996. Evolution of floral scent in Clarkia - novel patterns of S-linalool synthase gene expression in the C. breweri flower. Plant Cell 8: 1137–1148. , , , .
- 2006. Plant volatiles: recent advances and future perspectives. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 25: 417–440. , , , .
- 1971. Insect transmission of fireblight. Plant Pathology 20: 41–45. , .
- 2001. Ion channel-forming alamethicin is a potent elicitor of volatile biosynthesis and tendril coiling. Cross talk between jasmonate and salicylate signaling in lima bean. Plant Physiology 125: 369–377. , , , , , .
- 1999. Water solubility, vapor pressure, and activity coefficients of terpenes and terpenoids. Journal of Chemical and Engineering Data 44: 56–62. , , .
- 2005. Oxidant and antioxidant signalling in plants: a re-evaluation of the concept of oxidative stress in a physiological context. Plant, Cell & Environment 28: 1056–1071. , .
- 2007. The function of terpene natural products in the natural world. Nature Chemical Biology 3: 408–414. , .
- 2006. Natural selection on floral traits of female Silene dioica by a sexually transmitted disease. New Phytologist 169: 729–739. , , , .
- 2001. Endophytic colonization of plants by the biological control agent Rhizobium etli G12 in relation to Meloidogyne incognita infection. Phytopathology 91: 415–422. , , , , .
- 1994. Evolution of plant volatile production in insect–plant relationships. Chemoecology 5–6: 55–73. , , .
- 2008. Identification and regulation of TPS04/GES, an Arabidopsis geranyllinalool synthase catalyzing the first step in the formation of the insect-induced volatile C16-homoterpene TMTT. Plant Cell 20: 1152–1168. , , , , , , , .
- 1977. Receptive surface of angiosperm stigma. Annals of Botany 41: 1233–1258. , .
- 2010. Birch (Betula spp.) leaves adsorb and re-release volatiles specific to neighbouring plants – a mechanism for associational herbivore resistance? New Phytologist 186: 722–732. , , , , , .
- 2000. Bacteria in the leaf ecosystem with emphasis on Pseudomonas syringae– a pathogen, ice nucleus, and epiphyte. Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews 64: 624–653. , .
- 2003. Flower visitors in a natural population of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Biology 5: 491–494. , , , , , .
- 1983. An antifungal terpenoid defends a neotropical tree (Hymenaea) against attack by fungus-growing ants (Atta). Oecologia 60: 321–327. , , .
- 2002. Pseudomonas viridiflava and P. syringae– natural pathogens of Arabidopsis thaliana. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions 15: 1195–1203. , , , , , .
- 1998. Management of fire blight: a case study in microbial ecology. Annual Review of Phytopathology 36: 227–248. , .
- 2008. Floral scents repel potentially nectar-thieving ants. Evolutionary Ecology Research 10: 295–308. , .
- 2010. Floral scents repel facultative flower visitors, but attract obligate ones. Annals of Botany 105: 777–782. , .
- 2011. Composition of epiphytic bacterial communities differs on petals and leaves. Plant Biology 13: 918–924. , , , , , .
- 2002. The Arabidopsis thaliana–Pseudomonas syringae interaction. The Arabidopsis Book 1: e0039. doi:10.1199/tab.0039. , , .
- 2007. Making sense of nectar scents: the effects of nectar secondary metabolites on floral visitors of Nicotiana attenuata. Plant Journal 49: 840–854. , .
- 2008. Antibacterial compounds from Rose Bengal-sensitized photooxidation of β-caryophyllene. Journal of Food Science 73: C540–C545. , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Diversity and distribution of floral scent. Botanical Review 72: 1–120. , , , .
- 1990. Arabidopsis is susceptible to infection by a downy mildew fungus. Plant Cell 2: 437–445. , .
- 2008. A maize (E )-β-caryophyllene synthase implicated in indirect defense responses against herbivores is not expressed in most American maize varieties. Plant Cell 20: 482–494. , , , , , , .
- 1992. Antimicrobial activity of green tea flavor components and their combination effects. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 40: 245–248. , , .
- 1994. Higher-plant terpenoids: a phytocentric overview of their ecological roles. Journal of Chemical Ecology 20: 1223–1280. .
- 2002. Linalool and linalool oxide production in transgenic carnation flowers expressing the Clarkia breweri linalool synthase gene. Molecular Breeding 9: 103–111. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Herbivore-induced and floral homoterpene volatiles are biosynthesized by a single P450 enzyme (CYP82G1) in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 21205–21210. , , , , , .
- 2003. Microbiology of the phyllosphere. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 69: 1875–1883. , .
- 1990. Headspace compounds from flowers of Nicotiana tabacum and related species. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 38: 455–460. , , , .
- 2006. Florivory: the intersection of pollination and herbivory. Ecology Letters 9: 1351–1365. , .
- 2006a. Production of reactive oxygen species and reactive nitrogen species by angiosperm stigmas and pollen: potential signalling crosstalk? New Phytologist 172: 221–228. , , , .
- 2006b. The role of stigma peroxidases in flowering plants: insights from further characterization of a stigma-specific peroxidase (SSP) from Senecio squalidus (Asteraceae). Journal of Experimental Botany 57: 1835–1846. , , , , , .
- 2000. Role of leaf surface sugars in colonization of plants by bacterial epiphytes. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 66: 369–374. , .
- 1990. Defensive role of tropical tree resins: antitermitic sesquiterpenes from Southeast-Asian Dipterocarpaceae. Journal of Chemical Ecology 16: 3333–3352. , , , , , .
- 1995. Measurement of vertical distribution of isoprene in surface seawater, its chemical fate, and its emission from several phytoplankton monocultures. Marine Chemistry 48: 237–244. , , , .
- 2008. The life history of the plant pathogen Pseudomonas syringae is linked to the water cycle. Isme Journal 2: 321–334. , , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Combination effects of antibacterial compounds in green tea flavor against Streptococcus mutans. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 41: 1102–1105. , .
- 2006. Biology of flower-infecting fungi. Annual Review of Phytopathology 44: 261–282. , .
- 2007. Nectar chemistry. In: Nicolson SW, Nepi M, Pacini E, eds. Nectaries and nectar. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 215–264. , .
- 1986. Insect reproduction and floral fragrances: keys to the evolution of the angiosperms? Taxon 35: 76–85. , .
- 2001. A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real-time RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 29: 6. .
- 2002. The formation and function of plant volatiles: perfumes for pollinator attraction and defense. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 237–243. , .
- 1994. Floral scent production in Clarkia (Onagraceae). 1. Localization and developmental modulation of monoterpene emission and linalool synthase activity. Plant Physiology 106: 1533–1540. , , , .
- 2008. Wake up and smell the roses: the ecology and evolution of floral scent. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution and Systematics 39: 549–569. .
- 2009. Floral scent in a whole-plant context: moving beyond pollinator attraction. Functional Ecology 23: 837–840. .
- 2005. Recruitment of entomopathogenic nematodes by insect-damaged maize roots. Nature 434: 732–737. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Caryophyllene-rich rhizome oil of Zingiber nimmonii from South India: chemical characterization and antimicrobial activity. Phytochemistry 67: 2469–2473. , , , , , , .
- 2010a. Floral transmission of Erwinia tracheiphila by cucumber beetles in a wild Cucurbita pepo. Environmental Entomology 39: 140–148. , , , , .
- 2010b. Antimicrobial nectar inhibits a florally transmitted pathogen of a wild Curcubita pepo (Curcubitaceae). American Journal of Botany 97: 1025–1030. , , .
- 2009. Host plant volatiles serve to increase the response of male European grape berry moths, Eupoecilia ambiguella, to their sex pheromone. Journal of Comparative Physiology A: Neuroethology, Sensory, Neural and Behavioral Physiology 195: 853–864. , , .
- 1997. Identification of an animal omega-3 fatty acid desaturase by heterologous expression in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 1142–1147. , , .
- 1987. Molecular characterization of cloned avirulence genes from race 0 and race 1 of Pseudomonas syringae pv. glycinea. Journal of Bacteriology 169: 5789–5794. , , , .
- 2005. Flowers: diverse and mutable microbial habitats. Phytopathology 95: S128. .
- 2007. Odor-mediated push–pull pollination in cycads. Science 318: 70. , , , , .
- 2005. Two sesquiterpene synthases are responsible for the complex mixture of sesquiterpenes emitted from Arabidopsis flowers. Plant Journal 42: 757–771. , , , , .
- 2007. Arabidopsis systemic immunity uses conserved defense signaling pathways and is mediated by jasmonates. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 104: 1075–1080. , , , , .
- 2005. Genome-wide identification of genes expressed in Arabidopsis pistils specifically along the path of pollen tube growth. Plant Physiology 138: 977–989. , , , .
- 2007. Electrophysiological and behavioral responses of the multicolored Asian lady beetle, Harmonia axyridis Pallas, to sesquiterpene semiochemicals. Journal of Chemical Ecology 33: 2148–2155. , , , , , .
- 2009. A unified mechanism of action for volatile isoprenoids in plant abiotic stress. Nature Chemical Biology 5: 283–291. , , , .
- 1991. Identification of Pseudomonas syringae pathogens of Arabidopsis and a bacterial locus determining avirulence on both Arabidopsis and soybean. Plant Cell 3: 49–59. , , , .
- 2009. Floral volatiles controlling ant behaviour. Functional Ecology 23: 888–900. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Microbial phyllosphere populations are more complex than previously realized. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 98: 3889–3894. , , , .
- 1979. Fire blight. A bacterial disease of Rosaceous plants. USDA Agriculture Handbook: No. 510. USA: US Department of Agriculture, 1–200. , .