These authors contributed equally to this work.
The emerging importance of the SPX domain-containing proteins in phosphate homeostasis
Article first published online: 5 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 4, pages 842–851, March 2012
How to Cite
Secco, D., Wang, C., Arpat, B. A., Wang, Z., Poirier, Y., Tyerman, S. D., Wu, P., Shou, H. and Whelan, J. (2012), The emerging importance of the SPX domain-containing proteins in phosphate homeostasis. New Phytologist, 193: 842–851. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04002.x
- Issue published online: 2 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 5 JAN 2012
- Received: 25 September 2011, Accepted: 10 November 2011
- 2009. The WRKY6 transcription factor modulates PHOSPHATE1 expression in response to low Pi stress in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 21: 3554–3566. , , , , , .
- 2011. Signaling network in sensing phosphate availability in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 62: 185–206. , .
- 2010. Comparative physiology of elemental distributions in plants. Annals of Botany 105: 1081–1102. , .
- 2011. Cell-specific vacuolar calcium storage mediated by CAX1 regulates apoplastic calcium concentration, gas exchange, and plant productivity in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 23: 240–257. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Characterization of a sub-family of Arabidopsis genes with the SPX domain reveals their diverse functions in plant tolerance to phosphorus starvation. Plant Journal 54: 965–975. , , , , , .
- 2006. Mapping the Arabidopsis organelle proteome. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 103: 6518–6523. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Glycerophosphocholine-dependent growth requires Gde1p (YPL110c) and Git1p in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 280: 36110–36117. , , , , .
- 2011. Differential roles for the low-affinity phosphate transporters Pho87 and Pho90 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochemical Journal 434: 243–251. , , , , .
- 2002. Identification and characterization of the Arabidopsis PHO1 gene involved in phosphate loading to the xylem. The Plant Cell 14: 889–902. , , , , .
- 2011. Sugar signaling in root responses to low phosphorus availability. Plant Physiology 156: 1033–1040. , .
- 2009. Catalytic core of a membrane-associated eukaryotic polyphosphate polymerase. Science 324: 513–516. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Uncovering small RNA-mediated responses to phosphate deficiency in Arabidopsis by deep sequencing. Plant Physiology 151: 2120–2132. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. The SPX domain of the yeast low-affinity phosphate transporter Pho90 regulates transport activity. EMBO Reports 10: 1003–1008. , , , , .
- 2007. Pho91 is a vacuolar phosphate transporter that regulates phosphate and polyphosphate metabolism in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Molecular Biology of the Cell 18: 4438–4445. , , , .
- 2000. The role of inorganic phosphate in the development of freezing tolerance and the acclimatization of photosynthesis to low temperature is revealed by the pho mutants of Arabidopsis thaliana. The Plant Journal 24: 383–396. , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis SHORT HYPOCOTYL UNDER BLUE1 contains SPX and EXS domains and acts in cryptochrome signaling. The Plant Cell 18: 921–934. , .
- 2011. Genetic regulation by NLA and MicroRNA827 for maintaining nitrate-dependent phosphate homeostasis in Arabidopsis. PLoS Genetics 7: e1002021. , , .
- 2007. Regulation of a cyclin–CDK–CDK inhibitor complex by inositol pyrophosphates. Science 316: 109–112. , , , .
- 2011. Genetic and genomic evidence that sucrose is a global regulator of plant responses to phosphate starvation in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 156: 1116–1130. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Complex regulation of two target genes encoding SPX-MFS proteins by rice miR827 in response to phosphate starvation. Plant Cell & Physiology 51: 2119–2131. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. OsSPX1 suppresses the function of OsPHR2 in the regulation of expression of OsPT2 and phosphate homeostasis in shoots of rice. Plant Journal 62: 508–517. , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Dissecting the plant transcriptome and the regulatory responses to phosphate deprivation. Physiologia Plantarum 139: 129–143. , , .
- 2007. A mutation in NLA, which encodes a RING-type ubiquitin ligase, disrupts the adaptability of Arabidopsis to nitrogen limitation. Plant Journal 50: 320–337. , , , , .
- 2008. Adaptation of Arabidopsis to nitrogen limitation involves induction of anthocyanin synthesis which is controlled by the NLA gene. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 2933–2944. , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Root developmental adaptation to phosphate starvation: better safe than sorry. Trends in Plant Science 16: 442–450. , , , .
- 2002. Phosphate transport and homeostasis in Arabidopsis. In: Somerville CR, Meyerowitz EM, eds. The Arabidopsis Book. Rockville, MD, USA: American Society of Plant Biologists, 1–35. , .
- 1991. Mutant of Arabidopsis deficient in xylem loading of phosphate. Plant Physiology 97: 1087–1093. , , , .
- 2008. Induction of the Arabidopsis PHO1;H10 gene by 12-oxo-phytodienoic acid but not jasmonic acid via a CORONATINE INSENSITIVE1-dependent pathway. Plant Physiology 147: 696–706. , , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of phosphate starvation responses in plants: signaling players and cross-talks. Molecular Plant 3: 288–299. , , .
- 2011. Uncoupling phosphate deficiency from its major effects on growth and transcriptome via PHO1 expression in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 65: 557–570. , , , , , , .
- 1994. Phosphate-regulated inactivation of the kinase PHO80-PHO85 by the CDK inhibitor PHO81. Science 266: 122–126. , , .
- 2010. Characterization of the rice PHO1 gene family reveals a key role for OsPHO1;2 in phosphate homeostasis and the evolution of a distinct clade in dicotyledons. Plant Physiology 152: 1693–1704. , , .
- 1995. Truncated forms of a novel yeast protein suppress the lethality of a G protein alpha subunit deficiency by interacting with the beta subunit. The Journal of Biological Chemistry 270: 25435–25444. , , , , .
- 2011. Overexpression of PHO1 in Arabidopsis leaves reveals its role in mediating phosphate efflux. Plant Journal 66: 689–699. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Members of the PHO1 gene family show limited functional redundancy in phosphate transfer to the shoot, and are regulated by phosphate deficiency via distinct pathways. Plant Journal 50: 982–994. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Involvement of OsSPX1 in phosphate homeostasis in rice. Plant Journal 57: 895–904. , , , , , .
- 2004. Structure and expression profile of the Arabidopsis PHO1 gene family indicates a broad role in inorganic phosphate homeostasis. Plant Physiology 135: 400–411. , , , .
- 2008. Characterization of the PHO1 gene family and the responses to phosphate deficiency of Physcomitrella patens. Plant Physiology 146: 646–656. , , .
- 2009. Regulation of OsSPX1 and OsSPX3 on expression of OsSPX domain genes and Pi-starvation signaling in rice. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 51: 663–674. , , , , , .
- 2008. BAH1/NLA, a RING-type ubiquitin E3 ligase, regulates the accumulation of salicylic acid and immune responses to Pseudomonas syringae DC3000. Plant Physiology 148: 1032–1041. , .
- 2009. Increased expression of OsSPX1 enhances cold/subfreezing tolerance in tobacco and Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Biotechnology Journal 7: 550–561. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. SHB1 plays dual roles in photoperiodic and autonomous flowering. Developmental Biology 331: 50–57. , .
- 2010. SHORT HYPOCOTYL UNDER BLUE1 truncations and mutations alter its association with a signaling protein complex in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 22: 703–715. , .