Tracing the origin and evolutionary history of plant nucleotide-binding site–leucine-rich repeat (NBS-LRR) genes
Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 4, pages 1049–1063, March 2012
How to Cite
Yue, J.-X., Meyers, B. C., Chen, J.-Q., Tian, D. and Yang, S. (2012), Tracing the origin and evolutionary history of plant nucleotide-binding site–leucine-rich repeat (NBS-LRR) genes. New Phytologist, 193: 1049–1063. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04006.x
- Issue online: 2 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 23 DEC 2011
- Received: 4 October 2011, Accepted: 11 November 2011
- 1998. Different requirements for EDS1 and NDR1 by disease resistance genes define at least two R gene-mediated signaling pathways in Arabidopsis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 10306–10311. , , , , , .
- 2004. Toll-like receptor signalling. Nature Reviews Immunology 4: 499–511. , .
- 2002. A novel gene family in moss (Physcomitrella patens) shows sequence homology and a phylogenetic relationship with the TIR-NBS class of plant disease resistance genes. Journal of Molecular Evolution 55: 595–605. , .
- 2008. Identification and characterization of nucleotide-binding site-leucine-rich repeat genes in the model plant Medicago truncatula. Plant Physiology 146: 5–21. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. An insight into domain combinations. Bioinformatics 17(Suppl 1): S83–S89. , , .
- 2005. Are innate immune signaling pathways in plants and animals conserved? Nature Immunology 6: 973–979. .
- 2002. The RAR1 interactor SGT1, an essential component of R gene-triggered disease resistance. Science 295: 2073–2076. , , , , , .
- 1994. Fitting a mixture model by expectation maximization to discover motifs in biopolymers. Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology 2: 28–36. , .
- 2006. A genome-wide survey of R gene polymorphisms in Arabidopsis. The Plant cell 18: 1803–1818. , , , .
- 2008. Evolution of protein domain promiscuity in eukaryotes. Genome Research 18: 449–461. , , , .
- 2002. Diversity, distribution, and ancient taxonomic relationships within the TIR and non-TIR NBS-LRR resistance gene subfamilies. Journal of Molecular Evolution 54: 548–562. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Endless forms: the evolution of gene regulation and morphological diversity. Cell 101: 577–580. .
- 2006. The Arabidopsis receptor kinase FLS2 binds flg22 and determines the specificity of flagellin perception. The Plant Cell 18: 465–476. , , , , .
- 2006. Host-microbe interactions: shaping the evolution of the plant immune response. Cell 124: 803–814. , , , .
- 2001. Plant pathogens and integrated defence responses to infection. Nature 411: 826–833. , .
- 2008. Escape from adaptive conflict after duplication in an anthocyanin pathway gene. Nature 454: 762–765. , .
- 2010. Evolution of domain combinations in protein kinases and its implications for functional diversity. Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology 102: 1–15. , , .
- 2003. Reprogramming control of an allosteric signaling switch through modular recombination. Science 301: 1904–1908. , , , .
- 1998. Profile hidden Markov models. Bioinformatics 14: 755–763. .
- 2004. Muscle: multiple sequence alignment with high accuracy and high throughput. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 1792–1797. .
- 2007. Networks of WRKY transcription factors in defense signaling. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 366–371. , .
- 2005. Comparative analysis of programmed cell death pathways in filamentous fungi. BMC Genomics 6: 177. , , , , .
- 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39: 19. .
- 2009. The Pfam protein families database. Nucleic Acids Research 38: D211–D222. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Gene duplication and evolutionary novelty in plants. New Phytologist 183: 557–564. , .
- 2002. Intracellular vs extracellular recognition of pathogens – common concepts in mammals and flies. Trends in Microbiology 10: 193–199. , , .
- 2003. Cytosolic HSP90 associates with and modulates the Arabidopsis RPM1 disease resistance protein. EMBO Journal 22: 5679–5689. , , , , , , .
- 1994. The evolution of functionally novel proteins after gene duplication. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B – Biological sciences 256: 119–124. .
- 2007. Evolutionary history and functional implications of protein domains and their combinations in eukaryotes. Genome Biology 8: R121. , , , , .
- 1992. Reductase activity encoded by the HM1 disease resistance gene in maize. Science 258: 985–987. , .
- 2004. Plant innate immunity – direct and indirect recognition of general and specific pathogen-associated molecules. Current Opinion in Immunology 16: 48–62. , .
- 2006. The plant immune system. Nature 444: 323–329. , .
- 2009. Domain shuffling and the evolution of vertebrates. Genome Research 19: 1393–1403. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. STAND, a class of P-loop NTPases including animal and plant regulators of programmed cell death: multiple, complex domain architectures, unusual phyletic patterns, and evolution by horizontal gene transfer. Journal of Molecular Biology 343: 1–28. , , .
- 2002. Classification and evolution of P-loop GTPases and related ATPases. Journal of Molecular Biology 317: 41–72. , , , .
- 2004. Tandem and segmental gene duplication and recombination in the evolution of plant disease resistance gene. Trends in Genetics 20: 116–122. .
- 2005. Molecular genetic evidence for the role of SGT1 in the intramolecular complementation of Bs2 protein activity in Nicotiana benthamiana. The Plant Cell 17: 1268–1278. , , , , , .
- 2009. Smart 6: recent updates and new developments. Nucleic Acids Research 37: D229–D232. , , .
- 2003. Isolation, genetic variation and expression of TIR-NBS-LRR resistance gene analogs from western white pine (Pinus monticola dougl. Ex. D. Don.). Molecular Genetics and Genomics 270: 432–441. , .
- 2007. The CC-NBS-LRR subfamily in Pinus monticola: targeted identification, gene expression, and genetic linkage with resistance to Cronartium ribicola. Phytopathology 97: 728–736. , .
- 2010. Mesquite: a modular system for evolutionary analysis. Version 2.74. [www document]. URL http://mesquiteproject.org [last accessed on 20 June 2011]. , .
- 2011. NLR functions in plant and animal immune systems: so far and yet so close. Nature Immunology 12: 817–826. , , .
- 2006. Plant NBS-LRR proteins: adaptable guards. Genome Biology 7: 212. , , , .
- 1999. Plant disease resistance genes encode members of an ancient and diverse protein family within the nucleotide-binding superfamily. Plant Journal 20: 317–332. , , , , , .
- 2003. Genome-wide analysis of NBS-LRR-encoding genes in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 15: 809–834. , , , , .
- 2002. TIR-X and TIR-NBS proteins: two new families related to disease resistance TIR-NBS-LRR proteins encoded in Arabidopsis and other plant genomes. Plant Journal 32: 77–92. , , .
- 2002. Innate immunity in plants and animals: emerging parallels between the recognition of general elicitors and pathogen-associated molecular patterns. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 5: 318–324. , .
- 1968. Evolution from fish to mammals by gene duplication. Hereditas 59: 169–187. , , .
- 2010. Rapid diversification of cell signaling phenotypes by modular domain recombination. Science 328: 368–372. , , , .
- 2005. The inflammasome. Current Biology 15: R581. , , .
- 1999. Phylogeny of early land plants: insights from genes and genomes. Trends in Plant Science 4: 26–30. , .
- 2007. Brothers in arms? Common and contrasting themes in pathogen perception by plant NB-LRR and animal NACHT-LRR proteins Microbes and Infection/Institut Pasteur 9: 677–686. , .
- 2006. Genomic insights into the immune system of the sea urchin. Science 314: 952–956. , , , , .
- 2001. The disease resistance signaling components eds1 and pad4 are essential regulators of the cell death pathway controlled by lsd1 in arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 13: 2211–2224. , , , , .
- 1990. The P-loop – a common motif in ATP- and GTP-binding proteins. Trends in Biochemical Sciences 15: 430–434. , , .
- 2006. The genome of the sea urchin Strongylocentrotus purpuratus. Science 314: 941–952. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Tracing the ancient origins of plant innate immunity. Trends in Plant Science 12: 334–342. , .
- 2008. Analysis of flagellin perception mediated by flg22 receptor OSFLS2 in rice. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 21: 1635–1642. , , , .
- 2007. Mega4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (mega) software version 4.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 1596–1599. , , , .
- 2010. Disease resistance signature of the leucine-rich repeat receptor-like kinase genes in four plant species. Plant Science 179: 399–406. , , , , , .
- 2009. TIR-NBS-LRR genes are rare in monocots: evidence from diverse monocot orders. BMC Research Notes 2: 197. , .
- 2007. The evolutionary significance of cis-regulatory mutations. Nature Reviews. Genetics 8: 206–216. .
- 2008. Recent duplications dominate NBS-encoding gene expansion in two woody species. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 280: 187–198. , , , , .
- 2007. Rewiring cellular morphology pathways with synthetic guanine nucleotide exchange factors. Nature 447: 596–600. , , , , .
- 2009. Genetic signature of rice domestication shown by a variety of genes. Journal of Molecular Evolution 68: 393–402. , , , , , .
- 2004. Genome-wide identification of NBS genes in japonica rice reveals significant expansion of divergent non-TIR NBS-LRR genes. Molecular Genetics and Genomics 271: 402–415. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Bacterial disease resistance in Arabidopsis through flagellin perception. Nature 428: 764–767. , , , , , , .