The Class II KNOX gene KNAT7 negatively regulates secondary wall formation in Arabidopsis and is functionally conserved in Populus
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Bioenergy trees’
Volume 194, Issue 1, pages 102–115, April 2012
How to Cite
Li, E., Bhargava, A., Qiang, W., Friedmann, M. C., Forneris, N., Savidge, R. A., Johnson, L. A., Mansfield, S. D., Ellis, B. E. and Douglas, C. J. (2012), The Class II KNOX gene KNAT7 negatively regulates secondary wall formation in Arabidopsis and is functionally conserved in Populus. New Phytologist, 194: 102–115. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04016.x
- Issue online: 24 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2012
- Received: 18 October 2011, Accepted: 17 November 2011
- 2010. MYB75 functions in regulation of secondary cell wall formation in the Arabidopsis inflorescence stem. Plant Physiology 154: 1428–1438. , , , , .
- 2003. A gene expression map of the Arabidopsis root. Science 302: 1956–1960. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Identification of novel genes in Arabidopsis involved in secondary cell wall formation using expression profiling and reverse genetics. Plant Cell 17: 2281–2295. , , , , .
- 2008. RNAi-mediated suppression of p-coumaroyl-coA 3’-hydroxylase in hybrid poplar impacts lignin deposition and soluble secondary metabolism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 4501–4506. , , , , .
- 2010. Regulation of plant biomass production. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 13: 299–304. , .
- 2009. The Populus homeobox gene ARBORKNOX2 regulates cell differentiation during secondary growth. Plant Journal 60: 1000–1014. , , .
- 2005. Global transcript profiling of primary stems from Arabidopsis thaliana identifies candidate genes for missing links in lignin biosynthesis and transcriptional regulators of fiber differentiation. Plant Journal 42: 618–640. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. What genes make a tree a tree? Trends in Plant Science 10: 210–214. .
- 2006. The Populus homeobox gene ARBORKOX1 reveals overlapping mechanisms regulating the shoot apical meristem and the vascular cambium. Plant Molecular Biology 61: 917–932. , , , , , , .
- 2005. A central role of Arabidopsis thaliana ovate family proteins in networking and subcellular localization of 3-aa loop extension homeodomain proteins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 4908–4912. , , , , .
- 2004. The role of knox genes in plant development. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 20: 125–151. , , , , , .
- 1991. A parsley 4CL-1 promoter fragment specifies complex expression patterns in transgenic tobacco. Plant Cell 3: 435–443. , , , , , .
- 2010. KNOX genes: versatile regulators of plant development and diversity. Development 137: 3153–3165. , .
- 2007. Populus: a model system for plant biology. Annual Review of Plant Biology 58: 435–458. , .
- 2009. Ectopic expression of MYB46 identifies transcriptional regulatory genes involved in secondary wall biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 60: 649–665. , , .
- 2004. Isolation of high-quality RNA from gymnosperm and angiosperm trees. BioTechniques 36: 821–824. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Transcription switches for protoxylem and metaxylem vessel formation. Genes and Development 19: 1855–1860. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. OVATE FAMILY PROTEIN4 (OFP4) interaction with KNAT7 regulates secondary cell wall formation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 67: 328–341. , , , , .
- 2009. MYB83 is a direct target of SND1 and acts redundantly with MYB46 in the regulation of secondary cell wall biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell Physiology 50: 1950–1964. , , .
- 2001. Unravelling cell wall formation in the woody dicot stem. Plant Molecular Biology 47: 239–274. , , , .
- 2007. NAC transcription factors, NST1 and NST3, are key regulators of the formation of secondary walls in woody tissues of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 270–280. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Arabidopsis VASCULAR-RELATED NAC-DOMAIN6 directly regulates the genes that govern programmed cell death and secondary wall formation during xylem differentiation. Plant Cell 22: 3461–3473. , , .
- 2008. Cell-wall carbohydrates and their modification as a resource for biofuels. Plant Journal 54: 559–568. , .
- 2005. Identification of genes required for cellulose synthesis by regression analysis of public microarray data sets. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 8633–8638. , , , , .
- 2001. Wood formation in trees. Plant Physiology 127: 1513–1523. , , .
- 2006. Genomics of hybrid poplar (Populus trichocarpa × deltoides) interacting with forest tent caterpillars (Malacosoma disstria): normalized and full-length cDNA libraries, expressed sequence tags, and a cDNAmicroarray for the study of insect-induced defences in poplar. Molecular Ecology 15: 1275–1297. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Intrinsic regulation of cambial growth. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 20: 52–77. .
- 2007. A role for KNAT Class II genes in root development. Plant Signal Behavior 2: 10–12. , .
- 2006. A map of KNAT gene expression in the Arabidopsis root. Plant Molecular Biology 60: 1–20. , , , , .
- 2008. Getting the most out of publicly available T-DNA insertion lines. Plant Journal 564: 665–677. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Expansion and diversification of the Populus R2R3-MYB family of transcription factors. Plant Physiology 149: 981–993. , , , , .
- 2008. VASCULAR-RELATED NAC-DOMAIN7 is involved in the differentiation of all types of xylem vessels in Arabidopsis roots and shoots. Plant Journal 55: 652–664. , , , .
- 2011. VASCULAR-RELATED NAC-DOMAIN7 directly regulates the expression of a broad range of genes for xylem vessel formation. Plant Journal 66: 579–590. , , , , , .
- 2006. SND1, a nac domain transcription factor, is a key regulator of secondary wall synthesis in fibers of Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 18: 3158–3170. , , .
- 2010a. Evolutionary conservation of the transcriptional network regulating secondary cell wall biosynthesis. Trends in Plant Science 15: 625–632. , , .
- 2010b. Global analysis of direct targets of secondary wall NAC master switches in Arabidopsis. Molecular Plant 3: 1087–1103. , , .
- 2008. A battery of transcription factors involved in the regulation of secondary cell wall biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 20: 2763–2782. , , , , .
- 2007. The MYB46 transcription factor is a direct target of snd1 and regulates secondary wall biosynthesis in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 19: 2776–2792. , , .
- 2007. Regulation of cell wall biosynthesis. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 564–572. , .
- 2009. MYB58 and MYB63 are transcriptional activators of the lignin biosynthetic pathway during secondary cell wall formation in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 21: 248–266. , , , .