Phytosphingosine-phosphate is a signal for AtMPK6 activation and Arabidopsis response to chilling
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Bioenergy trees’
Volume 194, Issue 1, pages 181–191, April 2012
How to Cite
Dutilleul, C., Benhassaine-Kesri, G., Demandre, C., Rézé, N., Launay, A., Pelletier, S., Renou, J.-P., Zachowski, A., Baudouin, E. and Guillas, I. (2012), Phytosphingosine-phosphate is a signal for AtMPK6 activation and Arabidopsis response to chilling. New Phytologist, 194: 181–191. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04017.x
- Issue published online: 24 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2012
- Received: 13 October 2011, Accepted: 18 November 2011
- 2009. Releasing the brakes of plant growth: how GAs shutdown DELLA proteins. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 1085–1092. , .
- 2008a. The cold-inducible CBF1 factor-dependent signaling pathway modulates the accumulation of the growth-repressing DELLA proteins via its effect on gibberellin metabolism. Plant Cell 20: 2117–2129. , , , , , .
- 2008b. Plant DELLAs restrain growth and promote survival of adversity by reducing the levels of reactive oxygen species. Current Biology 18: 656–660. , , , , .
- 2009. Mitogen-activated protein kinases 3 and 6 are required for full priming of stress responses in Arabidopsis thaliana. The Plant Cell 21: 944–953. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Nitric oxide participates in cold-responsive phosphosphingolipid formation and gene expression in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist 189: 415–427. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. Sphingosine 1-phosphate and ceramide 1-phosphate: expanding roles in cell signaling. Journal of Cell Science 118: 4605–4612. , .
- 2003. Sphingolipid signalling in Arabidopsis guard cells involves heterotrimeric G proteins. Nature 423: 651–654. , , , , , .
- 2005. Arabidopsis sphingosine kinase and the effects of phytosphingosine-1-phosphate on stomatal aperture. Plant Physiology 137: 724–737. , , , , , .
- 2010. Revealing a signaling role of phytosphingosine-1-phosphate in yeast. Molecular Systems Biology 6: 349. , , , , , , .
- 2002. Sphingosine in apoptosis signaling. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1585: 153–162. .
- 2010. An update on sphingosine-1-phosphate and other sphingolipid mediators. Nature Chemical Biology 6: 489–497. , .
- 2011. Phosphatidic acid binds and stimulates Arabidopsis sphingosine kinases. Journal of Biological Chemistry 286: 13336–13345. , , , .
- 2006. Sphingosine kinases, sphingosine 1-phosphate, apoptosis and diseases. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1758: 2016–2026. , , , , .
- 2000. Various abiotic stresses rapidly activate Arabidopsis MAP kinases ATMPK4 and ATMPK6. Plant Journal 24: 655–665. , , , , .
- 2005. Phosphorylation of sphingoid long-chain bases in Arabidopsis: functional characterization and expression of the first sphingoid long-chain base kinase gene in plants. Plant and Cell Physiology 46: 375–380. , .
- 2005. The Pseudomonas syringae effector AvrRpt2 cleaves its C-terminally acylated target, RIN4, from Arabidopsis membranes to block RPM1 activation. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 6496–6501. , , , , , .
- 2010. Nuclear calcium controls the apoptotic-like cell death induced by d-erythro-sphinganine in tobacco cells. Cell Calcium 47: 92–100. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. GsGASA1 mediated root growth inhibition in response to chronic cold stress is marked by the accumulation of DELLAs. Journal of Plant Physiology 168: 2153–2160. , , , , , , , .
- 2005. A sphingolipid elicitor-inducible mitogen-activated protein kinase is regulated by the small GTPase OsRac1 and heterotrimeric G-protein in rice. Plant Physiology 138: 1644–1652. , , , , , .
- 2011. Nuclear sphingolipid metabolism. Annual Review of Physiology. doi: 10.1146/annurev-physiol-020911-153321. , .
- 2006. Separation and identification of major plant sphingolipid classes from leaves. Journal of Biological Chemistry 281: 22684–22694. , , , .
- 1988. Quantitation of free sphingosine in liver by high-performance liquid-chromatography. Analytical Biochemistry 171: 373–381. , , , , , .
- 2009. Functional characterization of a higher plant sphingolipid Delta 4-Desaturase: defining the role of sphingosine and sphingosine-1-phosphate in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 149: 487–498. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Drought-induced guard cell signal transduction involves sphingosine-1-phosphate. Nature 410: 596–599. , , , , .
- 2008. Degradation of sphingoid long-chain base 1-phosphates (LCB-1Ps): functional characterization and expression of AtDPL1 encoding LCB-1P lyase involved in the dehydration stress response in Arabidopsis. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 1758–1763. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. The homeobox genes ATHB12 and ATHB7 encode potential regulators of growth in response to water deficit in Arabidopsis. Plant Molecular Biology 55: 663–677. , , .
- 2010. Plant sphingolipids: decoding the enigma of the Sphinx. New Phytologist 185: 611–630. , , .
- 2010. Pseudomonas syringae infection triggers de novo synthesis of phytosphingosine from sphinganine in Arabidopsis thaliana. Febs Letters 584: 4053–4056. , , , .
- 2002. Activation of phospholipases C and D is an early response to a cold exposure in Arabidopsis suspension cells. Plant Physiology 130: 999–1007. , , , , .
- 2009. Cold signalling and cold acclimation in plants. Advances in Botanical Research 49: 35–150. , , , .
- 2011. MPK6, sphinganine and the LCB2a gene from serine palmitoyltransferase are required in the signaling pathway that mediates cell death induced by long chain bases in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 191: 943–957. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Involvement of sphingoid bases in mediating reactive oxygen intermediate production and programmed cell death in Arabidopsis. Cell Research 17: 1030–1040. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Sphingosine kinase: role in regulation of bioactive sphingolipid mediators in inflammation. Biochimie 92: 707–715. , , .
- 2005. Membrane release and destabilization of Arabidopsis RIN4 following cleavage by Pseudomonas syringae AvrRpt2. Molecular Plant–Microbe Interactions: MPMI 18: 1258–1268. , .
- 2004. The MKK2 pathway mediates cold and salt stress signaling in Arabidopsis. Molecular Cell 15: 141–152. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Multilevel genomic analysis of the response of transcripts, enzyme activities and metabolites in Arabidopsis rosettes to a progressive decrease of temperature in the non-freezing range. Plant, Cell & Environment 31: 518–547. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The cold-induced early activation of phospholipase C and D pathways determines the response of two distinct clusters of genes in Arabidopsis cell suspensions. Plant Physiology 139: 1217–1233. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Mutations in the Arabidopsis phosphoinositide phosphatase gene SAC9 lead to overaccumulation of PtdIns(4,5)P-2 and constitutive expression of the stress-response pathway. Plant Physiology 138: 686–700. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Involvement of sphingosine kinase in plant cell signalling. Plant Journal 56: 64–72. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Ceramides and other bioactive sphingolipid backbones in health and disease: lipidomic analysis, metabolism and roles in membrane structure, dynamics, signaling and autophagy. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta-Biomembranes 1758: 1864–1884. , , , , , , , , , et al.