Durable strategies to deploy plant resistance in agricultural landscapes
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2012
© 2012 INRA. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 4, pages 1064–1075, March 2012
How to Cite
Fabre, F., Rousseau, E., Mailleret, L. and Moury, B. (2012), Durable strategies to deploy plant resistance in agricultural landscapes. New Phytologist, 193: 1064–1075. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04019.x
- Issue published online: 2 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2012
- Received: 9 September 2011, Accepted: 19 November 2011
- 2009. Consumers indirectly increase infection risk in grassland food webs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 503–506. , , , .
- 2011. Next-generation sequencing as a tool to study microbial evolution. Molecular Ecology 20: 972–980. , , .
- 2011. Plant–parasite coevolution: bridging the gap between genetics and ecology. Annual Review of Phytopathology 49: 345–367. , .
- 2008. Pathogen evolution across the agro-ecological interface: implications for disease management. Evolutionary Applications 1: 57–65. , .
- 2007. Distribution of fitness and virulence effects caused by single-nucleotide substitutions in tobacco etch virus. Journal of Virology 81: 12979–12984. , , .
- 2000. Wildlife ecology – emerging infectious diseases of wildlife – threats to biodiversity and human health. Science 287: 443–449. , , .
- 2004. A general theory for the evolutionary dynamics of virulence. The American Naturalist 163: E40–E63. , .
- 2004. Controlling disease spread on networks with incomplete knowledge. Physical Review E 70: 066145. , , .
- 2009. Key determinants of resistance durability to plant viruses: insights from a model linking within- and between-host dynamics. Virus Research 141: 140–149. , , , .
- 2005. Strategies for containing an emerging influenza pandemic in southeast Asia. Nature 437: 209–214. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. The foot-and-mouth epidemic in Great Britain: pattern of spread and impact of interventions. Science 292: 1155–1160. , , .
- 1971. Current status of the gene-for-gene concept. Annual Review of Phytopathology 9: 275–296. .
- 2011. Rapid genetic diversification and high fitness penalties associated with pathogenicity evolution in a plant virus. Molecular Biology and Evolution 28: 1425–1437. , , , , .
- 2003. Epidemiology meets evolutionary ecology. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 18: 132–139. .
- 2003. An analysis of the durability of resistance to plant viruses. Phytopathology 93: 941–952. , .
- 2008. Sustainable agriculture and plant diseases: an epidemiological perspective. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Science 363: 741–759. .
- 2007. Impact of scale on the effectiveness of disease control strategies for epidemics with cryptic infection in a dynamical landscape: an example for a crop disease. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 4: 925–934. , , .
- 2008. Epidemiological models for invasion and persistence of pathogens. Annual Review of Phytopathology 46: 385–418. , .
- 2004. Invasion of drug and pesticide resistance is determined by a trade-off between treatment efficacy and relative fitness. Bulletin of Mathematical Biology 66: 825–840. , , .
- 2011. Seasonality and the evolutionary divergence of plant parasites. Ecology 92: 2159–2166. , , , , .
- 2002. Virus variation in relation to resistance-breaking in plants. Euphytica 124: 181–192. .
- 2009. Constraints on evolution of virus avirulence factors predict the durability of corresponding plant resistances. Molecular Plant Pathology 10: 599–610. , , , .
- 2010. A point mutation in the polymerase of potato virus y confers virulence toward the pvr4 resistance of pepper and a high competitiveness cost in susceptible cultivar. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 23: 823–830. , , , , .
- 2004. Analysis of disease progress as a basis for evaluating disease management practices. Annual Review of Phytopathology 42: 61–82. .
- 2006. Evolutionary epidemiology of plant virus disease. Advances in Virus Research 67: 163–203. , , .
- 1979. Concept of durable resistance. Phytopathology 69: 198–199. .
- 1999. The approach to mutation–selection balance in an infinite asexual population, and the evolution of mutation rates. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 266: 2389–2397. .
- 2006. Control of plant virus diseases. Advances in Virus Research 67: 205–244. .
- 2009. Plant virus emergence and evolution: origins, new encounter scenarios, factors driving emergence, effects of changing world conditions, and prospects for control. Virus Research 141: 113–130. .
- 2005. Genetics of plant virus resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 581–621. , , .
- 1927. A contribution to the mathematical theory of epidemics. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series A, Biological Sciences 115: 700–721. , .
- 1997. Effects of mutation and random drift on leonard’s gene-for-gene coevolution model. Phytopathology 87: 488–493. , .
- 2001. Pathogen fitness penalty as a predictor of durability of disease resistance genes. Annual Review of Phytopathology 39: 187–224. , , , .
- 2004. Durable virus resistance in plants through conventional approaches: a challenge. Virus Research 100: 31–39. , , , , .
- 1977. Selection pressures and plant pathogens. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 287: 207–222. .
- 2009. A note on semi-discrete modelling in the life sciences. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A – Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences 367: 4779–4799. , .
- 2002. Pathogen population genetics, evolutionary potential, and durable resistance. Annual Review of Phytopathology 40: 349–379. , .
- 2008. Linking within- and between-host dynamics in the evolutionary epidemiology of infectious diseases. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 23: 511–517. , , .
- 2002. Use of multiline cultivars and cultivar mixtures for disease management. Annual Review of Phytopathology 40: 381–410. .
- 2006. Epidemiology and disease-control under gene-for-gene plant-pathogen interaction. Journal of Theoretical Biology 238: 780–794. , .
- 2011. Influence of cultivated landscape composition on variety resistance: an assessment based on wheat leaf rust epidemics. New Phytologist 191: 1095–1107. , , , , .
- 2009. Optimal strategies for the eradication of asiatic citrus canker in heterogeneous host landscapes. Phytopathology 99: 1370–1376. , , , .
- 2006. Large-scale fungicide spray heterogeneity and the regional spread of resistant pathogen strains. Phytopathology 96: 549–555. , , .
- 1999. Deployment of disease resistance genes by plant transformation – a ‘mix and match’ approach. Trends in Plant Science 4: 71–75. , .
- 2007. Landscape epidemiology of plant diseases. Journal of the Royal Society Interface 4: 963–972. , , .
- 2004. Pathogen spillover in disease epidemics. The American Naturalist 164: S79–S89. , .
- 1998. The frequency of resistant mutant virus before antiviral therapy. AIDS 12: 461–465. , , .
- 2008. The evolution of virulence and pathogenicity in plant pathogen populations. Molecular Plant Pathology 9: 369–384. , .
- 2005. Neutral drift and polymorphism in gene-for-gene systems. Ecology Letters 8: 925–932. , , .
- 2008. Global sensitivity analysis: the primer. Chichester, UK: Wiley. , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Mutational fitness effects in RNA and single-stranded DNA viruses: common patterns revealed by site-directed mutagenesis studies. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Science 365: 1975–1982. .
- 2009. Spatial deployment of gene-for-gene resistance governs evolution and spread of pathogen populations. Theoretical Ecology 2: 229–238. , , .
- 2000. Host-parasite coevolution in a multilocus gene-for-gene system. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B, Biological Sciences 267: 2183–2188. .
- 2005. Stable polymorphisms in a two-locus gene-for-gene system. Phytopathology 95: 728–736. .
- 1998. Stability o f a gene-for-gene coevolution system under constant perturbations. Phytopathology 88: 592–597. , .
- 1999. Two properties o f a gene-for-gene coevolution system under human perturbations. Phytopathology 89: 811–816. , .
- 2007. Polymorphism in multilocus host-parasite coevolutionary interactions. Genetics 177: 1777–1790. , .
- 2002. Evolution of gene-for-gene systems in metapopulations: the effect of spatial scale of host and pathogen dispersal. Plant Pathology 51: 169–184. , .
- 2010. Compensatory molecular evolution of hc-pro, an rna-silencing suppressor from a plant rna virus. Molecular Biology and Evolution 27: 543–551. , , .
- 2003. Measures of durability of resistance. Phytopathology 93: 616–625. , .
- 1987. Defoliation, disease, and growth. Phytopathology 77: 393–398. , .