Dynamic trajectories of growth and nitrogen capture by competing plants
Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 4, pages 948–958, March 2012
How to Cite
Trinder, C., Brooker, R., Davidson, H. and Robinson, D. (2012), Dynamic trajectories of growth and nitrogen capture by competing plants. New Phytologist, 193: 948–958. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04020.x
- Issue online: 2 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 11 JAN 2012
- Received: 10 October 2011, Accepted: 18 November 2011
- 2009. Dynamics of biomass partitioning in two competing meadow plant species. Plant Ecology 205: 129–137. , , .
- 2007. Competitive dynamics in two- and three-component intercrops. Journal of Applied Ecology 44: 545–551. , , , .
- 2006. The role of root exudates in rhizosphere interactions with plants and other organisms. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 233–266. , , , , .
- 1975. A quantitative analysis of the factors affecting plant nutrient uptake from soils. Journal of Soil Science 26: 195–206. .
- 1976. Competition for plant nutrients in soil; a theoretical approach. Journal of Agricultural Science 87: 341–356. .
- 2008. Competition among plants: concepts, individual-based modelling approaches, and a proposal for a future research strategy. Perspectives in Plant Ecology and Evolutionary Systematics 9: 121–135. , , , .
- 2000. Characterizing the size dependence of resource acquisition within crowded plant populations. Ecology, 81: 1072–1085. , .
- 1990. Plant competition for light analysed with a multispecies model. Oecologia 82: 374–380. , , , , .
- 2001. A three-dimensional spatial model for plant competition in an heterogeneous soil environment. Ecological Modelling 142: 189–225. .
- 1996. An experimental study of ecological differences in winter growth between sympatric diploid and autotetraploid Dactylis glomerata. Journal of Ecology 84: 343–351. , .
- 2008. Facilitation in plant communities: the past, the present, and the future. Journal of Ecology 96: 18–34. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. A step-by-step guide to non-linear regression analysis of experimental data using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine 65: 191–200. .
- 2002. What evidence is necessary in studies which separate root and shoot competition along productivity gradient? Journal of Ecology 90: 201–205. .
- 2011. The behavioral ecology of nutrient foraging by plants. Annual Review of Ecology, Evolution, and Systematics 42: 289–311. , .
- 1989. A comparative study of plant responsiveness to the duration of episodes of mineral nutrient enrichment. New Phytologist 112: 261–267. , .
- 2001. Interspecific competition in plants: how well do current methods answer fundamental questions? American Naturalist 157: 107–125. , , .
- 1990. Time course of plant-plant interactions in experimental mixtures of annuals: density, frequency, and nutrient effects. Oecologia 82: 513–526. , , .
- 2005. Reconciling plant strategy theories of Grime and Tilman. Journal of Ecology 93: 1041–1052. .
- 2008. Modeling the growth of individuals in crowded plant populations. Journal of Plant Ecology 1: 111–116. , .
- 2002. Modelling individual growth and competition in plant populations: growth curves of Chenopodium album at two densities. Journal of Ecology 90: 666–671. , , .
- 2005. Experimental evidence rejects pairwise modelling approach to coexistence in plant communities. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B-Biological Sciences 272: 1279–1285. , .
- 2010. Biological stoichiometry of plant production: metabolism, scaling and ecological response to global change. New Phytologist 186: 593–608. , , , , .
- 2001. Predicting competition coefficients for plant mixtures: reciprocity, transitivity and correlations with life-history traits. Ecology Letters, 4: 348–357. , .
- 1999. Designs for greenhouse studies of interactions between plants. Journal of Ecology 87: 1–16. , , , .
- 1990. Components of resource competition in plant communities. In: Grace JB, Tilman D, eds. Perspectives on plant competition. San Diego, CA, USA: Academic Press, 27–49. .
- 1979. Plant strategies and vegetation processes. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons. .
- 2001. Plant strategies, vegetation processes and ecosystem properties. Chichester, UK: John Wiley and Sons. .
- 1988. Comparative plant ecology. A functional approach to common British species. London, UK: Unwin Hyman. , , .
- 1977. The maintenance of species-richness in plant communities: the importance of the regeneration niche. Biological Reviews 52: 107–145. .
- 1977. Population biology of plants. London, UK: Academic Press. .
- 1967. Growth analysis using frequent small harvests. Journal of Applied Ecology 4: 553–560. , .
- 1982. Plant growth curves. The functional approach to plant growth analysis. London, UK: Edward Arnold. .
- 1994. Competition and coexistence: the effects of resource transport and supply rates. American Naturalist 144: 954–977. , .
- 2008. Plant behaviour and communication. Ecology Letters 11: 727–739. .
- 1999. An ecophysiological approach to modelling resource fluxes in competing plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 50: 15–28. , .
- 1991. The need for simple dynamic equations to describe plant competition. Annals of Botany 67: 401–403. .
- 1983. Interactions between plants. In: Lange OL, Nobel PS, Osmond CB, Ziegler H, eds. Encyclopedia of plant physiology, vol. 12C. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 679–710. .
- 1973. Uptake of phosphorus and potassium in relation to root growth and root density. Plant and Soil 38: 49–69. , .
- R Development Core Team. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.
- 2004. Soil characteristics play a key role in modeling nutrient competition in plant communities. Ecology 85: 2200–2214. , .
- 1996. Quantifying the impact of competition and spatial heterogeneity on the structure and dynamics of a four-species guild of winter annuals. American Naturalist 147: 1–32. , , .
- 2001. Root proliferation, nitrate inflow and their carbon costs during nitrogen capture by competing plants in patchy soil. Plant and Soil 232: 41–50. .
- 2005. Integrated root responses to variations in nutrient supply. In: Basirrirad H, ed. Nutrient acquisition by plants. An ecological perspective. Ecological studies, vol. 181. Berlin, Germany: Springer, 43–61. .
- 2010. Root-shoot growth responses during interspecific competition quantified using allometric modelling. Annals of Botany 106: 921–926. , , , .
- 1999. Plant root proliferation in nitrogen-rich patches confers competitive advantage. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B-Biological Sciences 226: 431–435. , , , .
- 1970. Occupation of biological space during seedling establishment. Journal of Ecology 60: 77–88. , .
- 1996. Analysis of the coexistence mechanisms for grasses and legumes in grazing systems. Journal of Ecology 84: 799–813. , .
- 2000. Phytochromes and light signal perception by plants – an emerging synthesis. Nature 407: 585–591. .
- 1995. Complex dynamics in a carbon-nitrogen model of a grass legume pasture. Annals of Botany 75: 79–94. , , .
- 1982. Resource competition and community structure. Princeton, NJ, USA: Princeton University Press. .
- 2006. The distribution of positive and negative species interactions across environmental gradients on a dual-lattice model. Journal of Theoretical Biology 241: 896–902. , , , .
- 2012. A new hammer to crack an old nut: interspecific competitive resource capture is regulated by nutrient supply, not climate. PLoS One, in press. , , , .
- 1996. Nutrient inflow and root proliferation during the exploitation of a temporally and spatially discrete source of nitrogen in soil. Plant and Soil 178: 185–192. , , .
- 2003. Indices of plant competition. Journal of Ecology 91: 707–720. , .
- 2003. A flexible sigmoid function of determinate growth. Annals of Botany 91: 361–371. , , , , .
- 2002. Studying plant competition: from root biomass to general aims. Journal of Ecology 90: 578–580. , .