Activation of defense against Phytophthora infestans in potato by down-regulation of syntaxin gene expression
Article first published online: 13 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 4, pages 985–996, March 2012
How to Cite
Eschen-Lippold, L., Landgraf, R., Smolka, U., Schulze, S., Heilmann, M., Heilmann, I., Hause, G. and Rosahl, S. (2012), Activation of defense against Phytophthora infestans in potato by down-regulation of syntaxin gene expression. New Phytologist, 193: 985–996. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04024.x
- Issue published online: 2 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 13 JAN 2012
- Received: 31 October 2011, Accepted: 22 November 2011
- 1996. Genetic characterization of five powdery mildew disease resistance loci in Arabidopsis thaliana. The Plant Journal 9: 341–356. , .
- 2008. Effect of beta-aminobutyric acid (BABA) on protection against Phytophthora infestans throughout the potato crop cycle. Australasian Plant Pathology 37: 421–427. , , , .
- 2004. The PEN1 syntaxin defines a novel cellular compartment upon fungal attack and is required for the timely assembly of papillae. Molecular Biology of the Cell 15: 5118–5129. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Biochemical aspects of morphogenesis in Phytophthora. In: Erwin DC, Bartnicki-Garcia S, Tsao PH, eds. Phytophthora – its biology, taxonomy, ecology, and pathology. St. Paul, MN, USA: The American Phytopathological Society, 121–137. , .
- 2009. Flg22 regulates the release of an ethylene response factor substrate from MAP kinase 6 in Arabidopsis thaliana via ethylene signaling. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 8067–8072. , , , , , , .
- 2001. A genomic perspective on membrane compartment organization. Nature 409: 839–841. , , , .
- 2002. Pep-13, a plant defense-inducing pathogen-associated pattern from Phytophthora transglutaminases. The EMBO Journal 21: 6681–6688. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Membrane trafficking in plants: new discoveries and approaches. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 701–707. , , .
- 2002. beta-aminobutyric acid-induced resistance against plant pathogens. Plant Disease 86: 448–457. .
- 2003. SNARE-protein-mediated disease resistance at the plant cell wall. Nature 425: 973–977. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. A single-vesicle content mixing assay for SNARE-mediated membrane fusion. Nature Communications 1: 1–6. , , , , , , , .
- 1994. Arabidopsis mutants simulating disease resistance response. Cell 77: 565–577. , , , , , .
- 2010. DL-beta-aminobutyric acid-induced resistance of potato against Phytophthora infestans requires salicylic acid but not oxylipins. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 23: 585–592. , , .
- 2007. Reduction of divinyl ether-containing polyunsaturated fatty acids in transgenic potato plants. Phytochemistry 68: 797–801. , , , , , .
- 1998. Conserved structural features of the synaptic fusion complex: SNARE proteins reclassified as Q- and R-SNAREs. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 95: 15781–15786. , , , .
- 1985. Confidence-limits on phylogenies – an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39: 783–791. .
- 1995. Expression of the mannopine synthase promoter in roots is dependent on the mas elements and correlates with high transcript levels of mas-binding factor. Plant Science 109: 57–65. , , , , .
- 1996. Identification of genes required for the function of non-race-specific mlo resistance to powdery mildew in barley. The Plant Cell 8: 5–14. , , , , .
- 2008. Phytophthora infestans: the plant (and R gene) destroyer. Molecular Plant Pathology 9: 385–402. .
- 2002. Oxylipin profiling in pathogen-infected potato leaves. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1584: 55–64. , , , .
- 1994. Programmed cell death in plants: a pathogen-triggered response activated coordinately with multiple defense functions. Cell 77: 551–563. , , , .
- 2010a. A novel motif essential for SNARE interaction with the K+ channel KC1 and channel gating in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 22: 3076–3092. , , , , , .
- 2010b. A ubiquitin-10 promoter-based vector set for fluorescent protein tagging facilitates temporal stability and native protein distribution in transient and stable expression studies. The Plant Journal 64: 355–365. , , , , , .
- 2009. Genome sequence and analysis of the Irish potato famine pathogen Phytophthora infestans. Nature 461: 393–398. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. PAMP-induced defense responses in potato require both salicylic acid and jasmonic acid. The Plant Journal 57: 230–242. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Salicylic acid is important for basal defense of Solanum tuberosum against Phytophthora infestans. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 20: 1346–1352. , , , , , .
- 2004. The oligopeptide elicitor Pep-13 induces salicylic acid-dependent and -independent defense reactions in potato. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 64: 311–318. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Functional characterization of the KNOLLE-interacting t-SNARE AtSNAP33 and its role in plant cytokinesis. The Journal of Cell Biology 155: 239–249. , , , , , , .
- 2005. SNAREs and traffic. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta 1744: 493–517. .
- 2009. A tripartite SNARE-K+ channel complex mediates in channel-dependent K+ nutrition in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 21: 2859–2877. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Transport and secretion in plant-microbe interactions. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 573–579. .
- 2003. An Arabidopsis callose synthase, GSL5, is required for wound and papillary callose formation. The Plant Cell 15: 2503–2513. , , , , , , .
- 2006. SNAREs – engines for membrane fusion. Nature Reviews Molecular Cell Biology 7: 631–643. , .
- 2001. β-Aminobutyric acid-induced resistance in plants. European Journal of Plant Pathology 107: 29–37. , , , , , , .
- 2002. GATEWAY vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2008. Salt-stress-induced association of phosphatidylinositol 4,5-bisphosphate with clathrin-coated vesicles in plants. Biochemical Journal 415: 387–399. , , , , .
- 2008. Co-option of a default secretory pathway for plant immune responses. Nature 451: 835–840. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. A DNA transformation-competent Arabidopsis genomic library in Agrobacterium. Nature Biotechnology 9: 963–967. , , .
- 1999. A tobacco syntaxin with a role in hormonal control of guard cell ion channels. Science 283: 537–540. , , , .
- 2010. Induced resistance in potato to Phytophthora infestans– effects of BABA in greenhouse and field tests with different potato varieties. European Journal of Plant Pathology 127: 171–183. , , , .
- 2007. SNARE-ware: the role of SNARE-domain proteins in plant biology. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 23: 147–174. , , .
- 2009. Extracellular transport and integration of plant secretory proteins into pathogen-induced cell wall compartments. The Plant Journal 57: 986–999. , , , , .
- 2003. Loss of a callose synthase results in salicylic acid-dependent disease resistance. Science 301: 969–972. , , , , , .
- 2005. Potato homologs of Arabidopsis thaliana genes functional in defense signaling – identification, genetic mapping, and molecular cloning. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions 18: 1107–1119. , , .
- 2008. Activity determinants and functional specialization of Arabidopsis PEN1 syntaxin in innate immunity. Journal of Biological Chemistry 283: 26974–26984. , , , , .
- 2004. A new catch in the SNARE. Trends in Plant Science 9: 187–195. , , .
- 1987. The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Molecular Biology and Evolution 4: 406–425. , .
- 2004. Knocking on the heaven’s wall: pathogenesis of and resistance to biotrophic fungi at the cell wall. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 377–383. .
- 2003. Quantification of induced resistance against Phytophthora species expressing GFP as a vital marker: beta-aminobutyric acid but not BTH protects potato and Arabidopsis from infection. Molecular Plant Pathology 4: 237–248. , , .
- 2008. Functional interaction of the SNARE protein NtSyp121 in Ca2+ channel gating, Ca2+ transients and ABA signalling of stomatal guard cells. Molecular Plant 1: 347–358. , , , .
- 1969. A low-viscosity epoxy resin embedding medium for electron microscopy. Journal of Ultrastructure Research 26: 31–43. .
- 2009. Membrane fusion: grappling with SNARE and SM proteins. Science 323: 474–477. , .
- 2004. The cytoskeleton as a regulator and target of biotic interactions in plants. Plant Physiology 136: 3864–3876. , .
- 2007. MEGA4: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Molecular Biology and Evolution 24: 1596–1599. , , , .
- 2002. Method for the extraction of the volatile compound salicylic acid from tobacco leaf material. Phytochemical Analysis 13: 45–50. , , , , , .
- 2000. The hypersensitive response is associated with host and nonhost resistance to Phytophthora infestans. Planta 210: 853–864. , , , , .
- 2005. Induction of protein secretory pathway is required for systemic acquired resistance. Science 308: 1036–1040. , , , .
- 1998. SNAREpins: minimal machinery for membrane fusion. Cell 92: 759–772. , , , , , , , .
- 2001. Construct design for efficient, effective and high-throughput gene silencing in plants. The Plant Journal 27: 581–590. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Suppression and restoration of lesion formation in Arabidopsis lsd mutants. The Plant Cell 7: 2013–2022. , , , , , , .
- 2011. Genome sequence and analysis of the tuber crop potato. Nature 475: 189–195. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A SNARE-protein has opposing functions in penetration resistance and defence signalling pathways. The Plant Journal 49: 302–312. , , , , , , .
- 2008. A lesion-mimic syntaxin double mutant in Arabidopsis reveals novel complexity of pathogen defense signaling. Molecular Plant 1: 510–527. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1965. Evolutionary divergence and convergence in proteins. In: Bryson V, Vogel HJ, eds. Evolving genes and proteins. New York, NY, USA: Academic Press, 97–166. , .