Glacial trees from the La Brea tar pits show physiological constraints of low CO2
Version of Record online: 20 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2011 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Bioenergy trees’
Volume 194, Issue 1, pages 63–69, April 2012
How to Cite
Gerhart, L. M., Harris, J. M., Nippert, J. B., Sandquist, D. R. and Ward, J. K. (2012), Glacial trees from the La Brea tar pits show physiological constraints of low CO2. New Phytologist, 194: 63–69. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04025.x
- Issue online: 24 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 20 DEC 2011
- Received: 3 November 2011, Accepted: 24 November 2011
- 2001. Extremely large variations of atmospheric 14C concentration during the last glacial period. Science 292: 2453–2458. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Predicting leaf gas exchange and δ13C responses to the past 30,000 years of global environmental change. New Phytologist 128: 425–433. .
- 1993. Stomatal density responds to the glacial cycle of environmental change. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London Series B-Biological Sciences 253: 53–60. , , , , .
- 1996. Brief interstadial events in the Santa Barbara basin, NE Pacific, during the past 60 kyr. Nature 379: 243–246. , .
- 2006. GEOCARBSULF: a combined model for Phanerozoic atmospheric O2 and CO2. Geochimica et Cosmochiica Acta 70: 5653–5664. .
- 2001. Timing of millennial-scale climate change in Antarctica and Greenland during the last glacial period. Science 291: 109–112. , .
- 1994. Massive iceberg discharges as triggers for global climate change. Nature 372: 421–424. .
- 2005. Estimation of the whole-plant CO2-compensation point of tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.). Global Change Biology 11: 1956–1967. , , , .
- 2008. Physiographically sensitive mapping of climatological temperature and precipitation across the conterminous United States. International Journal of Climatology 28: 2031–2064. , , , , , , , .
- 1993. Evidence for general instability of past climate from a 25-kyr ice-core record. Nature 364: 218–220. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Effects of low and elevated CO2 on C3 and C4 annuals. I. Growth and biomass allocation. Oecologia 101: 13–20. , , , .
- 1995. Atmospheric CO2 and the ratio of intercellular to ambient CO2 concentrations in plants. Tree Physiology 15: 105–111. , .
- EPICA. 2004. Eight glacial cycles from an Antarctic ice core. Nature 429: 623–628.
- 1996. Natural and anthropogenic changes in atmospheric CO2 over the last 1,000 years from air in Antarctic ice and firn. Journal of Geophysical Research 101: 4115–4128. , , , , , .
- 1995. Carbon isotopes of trees from arid environments and implications for reconstructing atmospheric CO2 concentration. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 59: 2599–2608. , .
- 2006. Late Miocene vegetation reconstruction with the CARAIB model. Palaeogeography Palaeoclimatology Palaeoecology 238: 302–320. , , , .
- 2009a. CO2-forced evolution of plant gas exchange capacity and water-use efficiency over the Phanerozoic. Geobiology 7: 227–236. , .
- 2009b. Maximum leaf conductance driven by CO2 effects on stomatal size and density over geologic time. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 10343–10347. , .
- 2010. Plant responses to low [CO2] of the past. New Phytologist 188: 674–695. , .
- 1999. Latest Quaternary North Pacific surface-water responses imply atmosphere-driven climate instability. Geology 27: 291–294. , .
- 2002. Apparent synchroneity of submillennial scale climate events between Greenland and Santa Barbara Basin, California from 30–10 ka. Quaternary Science Reviews 21: 1167–1184. , , , .
- 1998. Direct correlation of millennial-scale changes in western North American vegetation and climate with changes in the California Current System over the past ∼ 60 kyr. Paleoceanography 13: 252–262. .
- 2009. Atmospheric CO2 records from sites in the SIO air sampling network. In: Trends: a compendium of data on global change. Oak Ridge, TN, USA: Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, US Department of Energy doi: 10.334/CDIAC/atg.035 , , , .
- 1982. Evidence for 13C/12C fractionation between tree leaves and wood. Nature 298: 742–744. , .
- 1989. Drought indicated in carbon-13/carbon-12 ratios of southwestern tree rings. Water Resource Bulletin 25: 341–347. , .
- 2002. Carbon acquisition and water use in a northern Utah Juniperus osteosperma (Utah juniper) population. Tree Physiology 22: 1221–1230. , , , , .
- 1992. Carbon isotope composition of atmospheric CO2 during the last ice age from an Antarctic ice core. Nature 357: 488–490. , , .
- 2008. High-resolution carbon dioxide concentration record 650,000–800,000 years before present. Nature 453: 379–382. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Stomatal density and aperture length in four plan species grown across a subambient CO2 gradient. American Journal of Botany 80: 1413–1418. , , , .
- 2004. Holocene climate variability. Quaternary Research 62: 243–255. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Gas exchange and carbon isotope discrimination of Juniperus osteosperma and Juniperus occidentalis across environmental gradients in the Great Basin of western North America. Tree Physiology 19: 421–433. , , .
- 2009. The role of terrestrial plants in limiting atmospheric CO2 decline over the past 24 million years. Nature 460: 85–88. , , , .
- 1993. Increase in C3 plant water-use efficiency and biomass over glacial to present CO2 concentrations. Nature 361: 61–64. , , , .
- 1996. Scales of climatic variability and time averaging in Pleistocene biotas: implications for ecology and evolution. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 11: 458–463. , , , .
- 2001. Effects of low atmospheric CO2 in plants: more than a thing of the past. Trends in Plant Science 6: 18–24. , .
- 1995. Biometry, 3rd edn. New York, NY, USA: Freeman & Co. , .
- 2002. Carbon storage in Amazonia during the Last Glacial Maximum: secondary data and uncertainties. Chemosphere 49: 821–835. , , , , , .
- 1993. Trends in stomatal density and 13C/12C ratios of Pinus flexilis needles during last glacial-interglacial cycle. Science 264: 239–243. , , .
- 2005. Carbon starvation in glacial trees recovered from the La Brea tar pits, southern California. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 690–694. , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Scaling up evolutionary responses to elevated CO2: lessons from Arabidopsis. Ecology Letters 7: 427–440. , .
- 2008. Physiological and growth responses of C3 and C4 plants to reduced temperature when grown at low CO2 of the last ice age. Journal of Integrative Plant Biology 50: 1388–1395. , , .