Designed for deconstruction – poplar trees altered in cell wall lignification improve the efficacy of bioethanol production
Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Bioenergy trees’
Volume 194, Issue 1, pages 91–101, April 2012
How to Cite
Mansfield, S. D., Kang, K.-Y. and Chapple, C. (2012), Designed for deconstruction – poplar trees altered in cell wall lignification improve the efficacy of bioethanol production. New Phytologist, 194: 91–101. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04031.x
- Issue online: 24 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 12 JAN 2012
- Received: 7 October 2011, Accepted: 27 November 2011
- 2005. Weak lignin-binding enzymes – a novel approach to improve activity of cellulases for hydrolysis of lignocellulosics. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 121: 163–170. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Lignin biosynthesis. Annual Reviews in Plant Biology 54: 519–549. , , .
- 1976. Rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Analytical Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 1987. Steam pretreatment of lignocellulosic material for enhanced enzymatic hydrolysis. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 29: 228–235. , .
- 2000. Fundamental factors affecting biomass enzymatic reactivity. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 84–86: 5–37. , .
- 2007. Lignin modification improves fermentable sugar yields for biofuels production. Nature Biotechnology 25: 759–761. , .
- 1985. Recycle of cellulase enzyme complex after hydrolysis of steam-exploded wood. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 11: 433–443. , , , .
- 2008a. RNAi-mediated suppression of p-coumaroyl-CoA 3’-hydroxylase in hybrid poplar impacts lignin deposition and soluble secondary metabolism. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 105: 4501–4506. , , , , .
- 2008b. Perturbed lignification impacts tree growth in hybrid poplar – a function of sink strength, vascular integrity and photosynthetic assimilation. Plant Physiology 148: 1229–1237. , , , .
- 1990. Kinetics of enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials based on surface area of cellulose accessible to enzyme and enzyme adsorption on lignin and cellulose. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 24/25: 67–73. , , .
- 2010. Optimized delignification of wood-derived lignocellulosics for improved enzymatic hydrolysis performance. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 106: 884–893. , .
- 1990. Optimisation of temperature and enzyme concentration in the enzymatic saccharification of steam pretreated willow. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 12: 225–228. , , .
- 1980. Mechanism of the enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose: effects of major structural features of cellulose on enzymatic hydrolysis. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 22: 177–199. , , .
- 1981. The influence of major structural features of cellulose on rate of enzymatic hydrolysis. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 23: 419–424. , , .
- 2000. Modified lignin in tobacco and poplar plants over-expressing the Arabidopsis gene encoding ferulate 5-hydroxylase. Plant Journal 22: 223–234. , , , , , .
- 2011. Genetic manipulation of lignin reduces recalcitrance and improves ethanol production from switchgrass. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 3803–3808. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Measurement of cellulase activities. Pure and Applied Chemistry 59: 257–268. .
- 1998. Techno-economic evaluations of a generic wood to ethanol process: effect of increased cellulose yields and enzyme recycle. Bioresource Technology 63: 7–12. , , .
- 2005. Ethanol from lignocellulosic biomass: techno-economic performance in short-, middle- and long-term. Biomass and Bioenergy 28: 384–410. , , .
- 2007. Ecological impacts of trees with modified lignin. Tree Genetics and Genomes 3: 101–110. , , , , , .
- 1999. Repression of lignin biosynthesis promotes cellulose accumulation and growth in transgenic trees. Nature Biotechnology 17: 808–812. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Effect of biomass species and plant size on cellulosic ethanol: a comparative process and economic analysis. Biomass and Bioenergy 33: 234–246. , , , , .
- 2003. Improved pulping efficiency in C4H-F5H transformed poplar. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 51: 6178–6183. , , , , .
- 1995. A comparative investigation of the ultrastructure of steam exploded wood with light, scanning and transmission electron microscopy. Holzforschung 49: 182–188. , .
- 2008. Bioenergy from plants and the sustainable yield challenge. New Phytologist 178: 473–485. , .
- 2006. Tolerance and adaptation of ethanologenic yeasts to lignocellulosic inhibitory compounds. Biotechnology and Bioengineering, 93: 1196–2006. , , .
- 2004. Poly(ethylene oxide)/organosolv lignin blends: relationship between thermal properties, chemical structure, and blend behavior. Macromolecules 37: 6904–6911. , .
- 2007. Down-regulation of cinnamoyl-coenzyme A reductase in poplar (Populus tremula × P. alba); multiple level phenotyping reveals effects on cell wall polymer biosynthesis, degradation and structure. Plant Cell 19: 3669–3691. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Improvement of biomass through lignin modification. Plant Journal 54: 569–581. , , .
- 2010. Lignin monomer composition affects Arabidopsis cell-wall degradability after liquid hot water pretreatment. Biotechnology for Biofuels 3: 27–34. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Solutions for dissolution – engineering cell walls for deconstruction. Current Opinion in Biotechnology 20: 286–294. .
- 2003. Cellulose hydrolysis – the role of monocomponent cellulases in crystalline cellulose degradation. Cellulose 10: 159–169. , .
- 1999. Substrate and enzyme characteristics that limit cellulose hydrolysis. Biotechnology Progress 15: 804–816. , , .
- 2007. Wet oxidation as a pretreatment method for enhancing the enzymatic convertibility of sugarcane bagasse. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 40: 426–432. , , .
- 2000. Modifications in lignin and accumulation of phenolic glucosides in poplar xylem upon down-regulation of caffeoyl-coenzyme A O-methyltransferase, an enzyme involved in lignin biosynthesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry 275: 36899–36909. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. Ultrastructural changes in poplar cell wall during steam-explosion treatment. Holzforschung 45: 175–179. , , .
- 1998. The effect of initial pore volume and lignin content on the enzymatic hydrolysis of softwoods. Bioresource Technology 64: 113–119. , , , .
- 2008. Effect of hemicellulose and lignin on enzymatic hydrolysis of cellulose from brewer’s spent grain. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 43: 124–129. , , , .
- 2007. Effect of hemicellulose and lignin removal on enzymatic hydrolysis of steam pretreated corn stover. Bioresource Technology 98: 2503–2510. , , , .
- 2006a. Bioconversion of hybrid poplar to ethanol and co-products using an organosolv fractionation process: optimization of process yields. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 94: 851–861. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006b. Organosolv ethanol lignin from hybrid poplar as a radical scavenger: relationship between lignin structure, extraction conditions, and antioxidant activity. Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry 54: 5806–5813. , , , , .
- 2005. Targeted down-regulation of cytochrome P450 enzymes for forage quality improvement in alfalfa (Medicago sativa L.). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 102: 16573–16578. , , , , , .
- 2009. Rapid analysis of poplar lignin monomer composition by a streamlined thioacidolysis procedure and near-infrared reflectance-based prediction modeling. Plant Journal 58: 706–714. , .
- 2008. Genomics of cellulosic biofuels. Nature 454: 841–845. .
- 2007. Down-regulation of hydroxycinnamoyl CoA: shikimate hydroxycinnamoyl transferase in transgenic alfalfa affects lignification, development and forage quality. Phytochemistry 68: 1521–1529. , , , , , .
- 1999. The nature of lignin from steam explosion/enzymatic hydrolysis of softwood. Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology 77–79: 867–876. , , .
- 2009. The effects on lignin structure of over-expression of ferulate 5-hydroxylase in hybrid poplar. Plant Physiology 150: 621–635. , , , , .
- 2011. Lignin content in natural Populus variants affects sugar release. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 108: 6300–6305. , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Lignin engineering. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 11: 278–285. , , , .
- 2011. Antisense down-regulation of 4CL expression alters lignification, tree growth, and saccharification potential of field-grown poplar. Plant Physiology 154: 874–886. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The origin and evolution of lignin biosynthesis. New Phytologist 187: 273–285. , .
- 1988. Methods for measuring cellulase activities. In: Wood W, Kellogg S, eds. Methods in enzymology. New York, USA: Academic Press, 87–112. , .