Article first published online: 2 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Author. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 193, Issue 4, pages 827–829, March 2012
How to Cite
Stephenson, A. G. (2012), Safe sex in plants. New Phytologist, 193: 827–829. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04035.x
- Issue published online: 2 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 2 FEB 2012
- 2005. Plant venereal diseases: insights from a messy metaphor. New Phytologist 165: 71–80. .
- 1862. On the various contrivances by which British and foreign orchids are fertilised by insects. London, UK: John Murray. .
- 1994. Simply a social disease? Nature 367: 517–518. .
- 2010. Petunia nectar proteins have ribonuclease activity. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 2951–2965. , , , , .
- 2012. The major volatile organic compound emitted from Arabidopsis thaliana flowers, the sesquiterpene (E)-β-caryophyllene, is a defense against a bacterial pathogen. New Phytologist 193: 997–1008. , , , , , , .
- 1983. The ecology of nectar robbing. In: Bentley B, Elias T, eds. Biology of nectaries. New York, NY, USA: Columbia University Press, 153–173. .
- 2008. Floral scents repel potentially nectar-thieving ants. Evolutionary Ecology Research 10: 295–308. , .
- 2001. Male and female Silene latifolia plants differ in per contact risk of infection by sexually transmitted disease. Journal of Ecology 89: 99–109. , .
- 2008. Field experiments with transformed plants reveal the sense of floral scents. Science 321: 1200–1202. , , .
- 2007. Nectar chemistry. In: Nicolson SW, Nepi M, Pacini E, eds. Nectaries and nectar. New York, NY, USA: Springer, 215–264. , .
- 1985. Longevity of individual flowers. Annual Review of Ecology and Systematics 16: 15–37. .
- 2010a. Floral transmission of Erwinia tracheiphila by cucumber beetles in a wild Cucurbita pepo. Environmental Entomology 39: 140–148. , , , , .
- 2010b. Antimicrobial nectar inhibits a floral transmitted pathogen of a wild Cucurbita pepo (Cucurbitaceae). American Journal of Botany 97: 1025–1030. , , .
- 1996. Flower lifespan and disease risk. Nature 379: 779. , , .
- 1992. Pollination induced flower senescence: a review. Plant Growth Regulation 11: 13–20. .
- 1996. Foliar herbivory affects floral characters and plant attractiveness to pollinators: implications for male and female plant fitness. American Naturalist 17: 1098–1107. , , .
- 1997. Pollen germination and tube growth. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Molecular Biology 48: 461–491. , .
- 2006. Role of accelerated style senescence in pathogen defense. American Journal of Botany 93: 1725–1729. , , .
- 2009. Floral volatiles controlling ant behaviour. Functional Ecology 23: 888–900. , , , , , , , , , .