Barley mutants with low rates of endosperm starch synthesis have low grain dormancy and high susceptibility to preharvest sprouting
Version of Record online: 2 FEB 2012
© 2012 John Innes Centre. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Special Issue: Featured papers on ‘Bioenergy trees’
Volume 194, Issue 1, pages 158–167, April 2012
How to Cite
Howard, T. P., Fahy, B., Craggs, A., Mumford, R., Leigh, F., Howell, P., Greenland, A. and Smith, A. M. (2012), Barley mutants with low rates of endosperm starch synthesis have low grain dormancy and high susceptibility to preharvest sprouting. New Phytologist, 194: 158–167. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04040.x
- Issue online: 24 FEB 2012
- Version of Record online: 2 FEB 2012
- Received: 12 December 2011, Accepted: 12 December 2011
- 1999. Effects of abscisic acid (ABA) on grain filling processes in wheat. Plant Growth Regulation 28: 187–197. , .
- 2009. Anatomical and transcriptomic studies of the coleorhiza reveal the importance of this tissue in regulating dormancy in barley. Plant Physiology 150: 1006–1021. , , , , .
- 1999. Termination of hull-imposed dormancy in developing barley grains is correlated with changes in embryonic ABA levels and sensitivity. Seed Science Research 9: 39–47. , , , .
- 1997. Seed germination and dormancy. Plant Cell 9: 1055–1066. .
- 2002. Starch granule initiation and growth are altered in barley mutants that lack isoamylase activity. Plant Journal 31: 97–112. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Low glucose uncouples hexokinase1-dependent sugar signaling from stress and defense hormone abscisic acid and C2H4 responses in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 152: 1180–1182. , , .
- 2000. Changes in sensitivity to abscisic acid of the developing and maturing embryo of two wheat cultivars with different sprouting susceptibility. Israel Journal of Plant Sciences 48: 189–197. , , .
- 2000. Dormancy of cereal seeds as related to embryo sensitivity to ABA and water potential. In: Viémont JD, Crabbé J, eds. Dormancy in plants. Cambridge, UK: CAB International, 183–194. , .
- 1994. The effect of high temperature on starch synthesis and the activity of starch synthase. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 21: 783–789. , , .
- 1983. Barley seed proteins and possibilities for their improvement. In: Gottschalk W, Müller HP, eds. Seed Proteins: biochenistry, genetics nutritive value. The Hague, the Netherlands: Martinus Nijhoff, 207–223. .
- 2012. Barley grains, deficient in cytosolic small subunit of ADP-Glucose pyrophosphorylase, reveal coordinate adjustment of C:N metabolism mediated by an overlapping metabolic-hormonal control. Plant Journal. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-313X.2011.04857.x , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. A merging of paths: abscisic acid and hormonal cross-talk in the control of seed dormancy maintenance and alleviation. In: Bradford K, Nonogaki H, eds. Seed development, dormancy and germination. Annual Plant Reviews 2. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Publishing, 176–223. , .
- 2006. Seed dormancy and the control of germination. New Phytologist 171: 501–523. , .
- 2008. Molecular aspects of seed dormancy. Annual Review of Plant Biology 59: 387–415. , , , .
- 1995. Notes on linkage drag in Bowman backcross derived lines of spring barley. Barley Genetics Newsletter 24: 63–70. .
- 2010. An analysis of dormancy, ABA responsiveness, after-ripening and pre-harvest sprouting in hexaploid wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) caryopses. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 597–607. , , , , .
- 1997. Grain development mutants of barley – alpha-amylase production during grain maturation and its relation to endogenous gibberellic acid content. Plant Physiology 114: 203–212. , , , .
- 2008. Regulation of dormancy in barley by blue light and after-ripening: effects on abscisic acid and gibberellin metabolism. Plant Physiology 147: 886–896. , , , .
- 2005. Dormancy release, ABA and pre-harvest sprouting. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 8: 183–187. , , .
- 1999. Molecular and genetic mechanisms regulating the transition from embryo development to germination. Trends in Plant Science 4: 275–280. , , .
- 1994. Starch synthesis in the kernel of wheat under high temperature conditions. Australian Journal of Plant Physiology 21: 791–806. .
- 2003. A low-starch barley mutant, Risø 16, lacking the cytosolic small subunit of ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase, reveals the importance of the cytosolic isoform and the identity of the plastidial small subunit. Plant Physiology 131: 684–696. , , , , , , , .
- 1997. ABA insensitivity and low ABA levels during seed development of non-dormant wheat mutants. Journal of Experimental Botany 48: 1415–1421. , , .
- 2005. Role of abscisic acid in seed dormancy. Journal of Plant Growth Regulation 24: 319–344. .
- 2003. Summer rainfall and wheat grain quality: relationships with the North Atlantic Oscillation. Weather 58: 155–164. , , , .
- 1978. Starch and free sugars during kernel development of Bomi barley and its high-lysine mutant 1508. Seed protein improvement by nuclear techniques. Vienna, Austria: International Atomic Energy Agency, 115–120. .
- 1980. Starch and prolamin level in single and double high-lysine barley mutants. Physiologia Plantarum 48: 139–143. , .
- 2005. Plant hormone interactions during seed dormancy release and germination. Seed Science Research 15: 281–307. , , .
- 2004. The Arabidopsis cytochrome P450CYP707A encodes ABA 8’-hydroxylases: key enzymes in ABA catabolism. EMBO Journal 23: 1647–1656. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Thermodormancy and ABA metabolism in barley grains. Plant Signaling and Behaviour 4: 205–207. , , , .
- 2009. Ethylene interacts with abscisic acid to regulate endosperm rupture during germination: a comparative approach using Lepidium sativum and Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 21: 3803–3822. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Variation in dormancy duration of the U.K. wheat cultivar Hornet due to environmental conditions during grain development. Euphytica 126: 89–97. , , , .
- 1995. Genetic control and integration of maturation and germination pathways in seed development. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 46: 71–93. .
- 2008. Pre-harvest sprouting in cereals: a global scenario. Current Science 94: 704–705. .
- 1989. Seed dormancy and responses of caryopses, embryos, and calli to abscisic acid in wheat. Plant Physiology 90: 643–647. , , , .
- 2002. Chromosomes responsible for sensitivity of embryo to abscisic acid and dormancy in wheat. Euphytica 123: 203–209. , , , .
- 2006. Physiological roles of ABA 8’-hydroxylase family, key enzymes in ABA catabolism during seed development through to post-germination growth in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant and Cell Physiology 47: S147. , , , , , .
- 2004. The lys5 mutations of barley reveal the nature and importance of plastidial ADP-Glc transporters for starch synthesis in cereal endosperm. Plant Physiology 135: 2088–2097. , , , , , .
- 2008. Sugar sensing and signaling. The Arabidopsis Book 6: e0117. doi:10.1199/tab.0117 , , .
- 2001. Predicting preharvest sprouting susceptibility in barley: a model based on temperature during grain filling. Agronomy Journal 93: 1071–1079. , , , , .
- 2006. Sugar sensing and signaling in plants: conserved and novel mechanisms. Annual Review of Plant Biology 57: 675–709. , , .
- 2011. ABA biosynthesis and degradation contributing to ABA homeostasis during barley seed development under control and terminal drought-stress conditions. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 2615–2632. , , , , , , , , .
- 1990. Seed dormancy in grasses. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2000. Sugar-induced signal transduction in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology and Plant Molecular Biology 51: 49–81. .
- 2006. Quantification of starch in plant tissues. Nature Protocols 1: 1342–1345. , .
- 2010. De-regulation of abscisic acid contents causes abnormal endosperm development in the barley mutant seg8. Plant Journal 64: 589–603. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. Swelling and gelatinization of cereal starches. V. Risø mutants of Bomi and Carlsberg II barley cultivars. Journal of Cereal Science 17: 1–9. , , .
- 2001. Preharvest sprouting tolerance. In: Reynolds MP, Ortiz-Monasterio JI, McNab A, eds. Application of physiology in wheat breeding. Mexico: CIMMYT, 145–147. .
- 1995. Metabolism of starch synthesis in developing grains of the shx shrunken mutant of barley (Hordeum vulgare). Physiologia Plantarum 93: 77–84. , , , , .
- 1987. ABA levels and sensitivity in developing wheat embryos of sprouting resistant and susceptible cultivars. Plant Physiology 84: 61–66. .
- 1988. Enhancement of ABA responsiveness in wheat embryos by high temperature. Plant, Cell & Environment 11: 769–775. .
- 1995. Modulation of germination of embryos isolated from dormant and nondormant barley grains by manipulation of endogenous abscisic acid. Planta 195: 586–592. , , .
- 2006. Abscisic acid and ethylene interact in wheat grains in response to soil drying during grain filling. New Phytologist 171: 293–303. , , , , .
- 2004. Activities of key enzymes in sucrose-to-starch conversion in wheat grains subjected to water deficit during grain filling. Plant Physiology 135: 1621–1629. , , , , .
- 2003. Analysis of effects in wheat of high temperature on grain filling attributes estimated from mathematical models of grain filling. Journal of Agricultural Science 141: 203–212. , .
- 2011. Regulation of expression of starch synthesis genes by ethylene and ABA in relation to the development of rice inferior and superior spikelets. Journal of Experimental Botany 62: 3907–3916. , , , , .