Abscisic acid mediates the formation of a suberized stem scar tissue in tomato fruits
Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 2, pages 402–415, April 2012
How to Cite
Leide, J., Hildebrandt, U., Hartung, W., Riederer, M. and Vogg, G. (2012), Abscisic acid mediates the formation of a suberized stem scar tissue in tomato fruits. New Phytologist, 194: 402–415. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2011.04047.x
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 1 FEB 2012
- Received: 11 October 2011, Accepted: 16 December 2011
- 2003. Post-harvest control of tomato fruit rot caused by Fusarium solani with extracts of Azadirachta indica. Discovery and Innovation 15: 83–86. , .
- 1997. Curing of kiwifruit for control of postharvest infection by Botrytis cinerea. Postharvest Biology and Technology 12: 137–145. , , .
- 2002. Demystifying suberin. Canadian Journal of Botany 80: 227–240. .
- 1998. Wound signaling in tomato plants: evidence that ABA is not a primary signal for defense gene activation. Plant Physiology 117: 687–693. , .
- 1997. Last exit: senescence, abscission, and meristem arrest in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 9: 1169–1179. , .
- 2002. From elicitins to lipid-transfer proteins: a new insight in cell signalling involved in plant defence mechanisms. Trends in Plant Science 7: 293–296. , , , .
- 1997. Plant responses to water deficit. Trends in Plant Science 2: 48–54. .
- 1937. Some effects of waxing tomatoes. Proceedings of the American Society for Horticultural Science 35: 720–721. .
- 1982. A simple method for the determination of resistance to gas diffusion in plant organs. Plant Physiology 70: 21–23. , .
- 1996. Dehydrins: emergence of a biochemical role of a family of plant dehydration proteins. Physiologia Plantarum 97: 795–803. .
- 1976. Synthesis of suberin during wound-healing in jade leaves, tomato fruit, and bean pods. Plant Physiology 58: 411–416. , .
- 2005. Conservation of the drought-inducible DS2 genes and divergences from their ASR paralogues in solanaceous species. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 43: 269–276. , , , , .
- 1998. Recent advances in plant fatty acid elongation. In: Harwood JL, ed. Plant lipid biosynthesis. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 185–222. , , , , .
- 2007. A central role of abscisic acid in drought stress protection of Agrobacterium-induced tumors on Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 145: 853–862. , , , , , , , , .
- 2011. Adaptation to drought in two wild tomato species: the evolution of the Asr gene family. New Phytologist 190: 1032–1044. , , , .
- 2007. Suberin: a biopolyester forming apoplastic plant interfaces. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 252–259. , .
- 2006. Evolutionary history of the Asr gene family. Gene 378: 74–83. , , , .
- 1990. A tomato cDNA inducible by salt stress and abscisic acid: nucleotide sequence and expression pattern. Plant Molecular Biology 15: 695–705. , , .
- 2007. Suberin: a biopolyester of plants’ skin. Macromolecular Bioscience 7: 128–135. , .
- 1999. Electric signaling and Pin2 gene expression on different abiotic stimuli depend on a distinct threshold level of endogenous abscisic acid in several abscisic acid-deficient tomato mutants. Plant Physiology 119: 213–218. , , , , .
- 1983. Some variations in the composition of suberin from the cork layers of higher plants. Phytochemistry 22: 495–502. .
- 1996. Lipid-transfer protein in plants. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 47: 627–654. .
- 2003. Identification of Arabidopsis genes regulated by high light-stress using cDNA microarray. Photochemistry and Photobiology 77: 226–233. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1981. Structure, biosynthesis, and biodegradation of cutin and suberin. Annual Review of Plant Physiology 32: 539–567. .
- 1984. Biochemistry and function of cutin and suberin. Canadian Journal of Botany 62: 2918–2933. .
- 1975. Determination of structure and composition of suberin from the roots of carrot, parsnip, rutabaga, turnip, red beet, and sweet potato by combined gas–liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry. Plant Physiology 55: 567–573. , , .
- 2010. Age-induced loss of wound-healing ability in potato tubers is partly regulated by ABA. Planta 232: 1433–1445. , , , .
- 2007. The developmental pattern of tomato fruit wax accumulation and its impact on cuticular transpiration barrier properties: effects of a deficiency in a β-ketoacyl-coenzyme A synthase (LeCER6). Plant Physiology 144: 1667–1679. , , , , .
- 2011. The positional sterile (ps) mutation affects cuticular transpiration and wax biosynthesis of tomato fruits. Journal of Plant Physiology 168: 871–877. , , , .
- 2001. Wound signalling in plants. Journal of Experimental Botany 52: 1–9. , , .
- 1998. Differential deposition of suberin phenolic and aliphatic domains and their roles in resistance to infection during potato tuber (Solanum tuberosum L.) wound-healing. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology 53: 209–222. , .
- 2011. Coordinate expression of AOS genes and JA accumulation: JA is not required for initiation of closing layer in wound healing tubers. Journal of Plant Physiology 168: 976–982. , , , .
- 2008. Regulatory involvement of abscisic acid in potato tuber wound-healing. Journal of Experimental Botany 59: 1175–1186. , , .
- 1996. Structure of the dehydrin tas14 gene of tomato and its developmental and environmental regulation in transgenic tobacco. Plant Molecular Biology 32: 453–460. , , , , .
- 2001. Differential expression of the members of the Asr gene family in tomato (Lycopersicon esculentum). Plant Science 161: 739–746. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Glycerol is a suberin monomer: new experimental evidence for an old hypothesis. Plant Physiology 119: 1137–1146. , , , , , .
- 2003. Monitoring expression profiles of Arabidopsis gene expression during rehydration process after dehydration using ca. 7000 full-length cDNA microarray. Plant Journal 34: 868–887. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Nitric oxide promotes the wound-healing response of potato leaflets. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 45: 80–86. , , .
- 1992. Picking wound curing to reduce Botrytis storage rot of kiwifruit. New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science 20: 357–360. , .
- 1994. The uptake and flow of C, N and ions between roots and shoots in Ricinus communis L.: long distance transport of abscisic acid depending on nitrogen nutrition and salt stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 45: 741–747. , , .
- 2008. Building lipid barriers: biosynthesis of cutin and suberin. Trends in Plant Science 13: 236–246. , , , .
- 1994. Development of resistance to picking wound entry Botrytis cinerea storage rots in kiwifruit. New Zealand Journal of Crop and Horticultural Science 22: 387–392. , .
- 2011. Suberin research in the genomics era: new interest for an old polymer. Plant Science 180: 399–413. , , .
- 2000. Isolation and characterization of a dehydrin gene from white spruce induced upon wounding, drought and cold stresses. Plant Molecular Biology 43: 1–10. , , , , .
- 2002. Abscission, dehiscence, and other cell separation processes. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 131–158. , , .
- 2006. Glycerol-ω-hydroxyacid-ferulic acid oligomers in cork suberin structure. Holzforschung 60: 171–177. , .
- 1986. Plant cuticles sorb lipophilic compounds during enzymatic isolation. Plant, Cell & Environment 9: 459–466. , .
- 2005. Wax and suberin development of native and wound periderm of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) and its relation to peridermal transpiration. Planta 220: 520–530. , , .
- 2002. Monitoring the expression pattern of around 7000 Arabidopsis genes under ABA treatments using a full-length cDNA microarray. Functional & Integrative Genomics 2: 282–291. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. The Arabidopsis aldehyde oxidase 3 (AAO3) gene product catalyzes the final step in abscisic acid biosynthesis in leaves. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 12908–12913. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Silencing of StKCS6 in potato periderm leads to reduced chain lengths of suberin and wax compounds and increased peridermal transpiration. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 697–707. , , , , , , , .
- 1978. Suberization: inhibition by washing and stimulation by abscisic acid in potato disks and tissue culture. Plant Physiology 61: 170–174. , , .
- 1979. Chemical and ultrastructural evidence that waxes associated with the suberin polymer constitute the major diffusion barrier to water vapor in potato tuber (Solanum tuberosum L.). Planta 146: 607–614. , , .
- 1957. Mutanten der Kulturtomate Lycopersicon esculentum Miller. I. Kulturpflanze 5: 190–220. .
- 1958. Mutanten der Kulturtomate Lycopersicon esculentum Miller. II. Kulturpflanze 6: 89–115. .
- 1959. Mutanten der Kulturtomate Lycopersicon esculentum Miller. III. Kulturpflanze 7: 82–112. .
- 1973. Abnormal stomatal behaviour and root resistance, and hormonal imbalance in three wilty mutants of tomato. Biochemical Genetics 8: 291–300. , .
- 2004. A new method for rapid visualization of defects in leaf cuticle reveals five intrinsic patterns of surface defects in Arabidopsis. Plant Journal 37: 139–146. , , , , .
- 1988. The wilty tomato mutants flacca and sitiens are impaired in the oxidation of ABA-aldehyde to ABA. Plant, Cell & Environment 11: 739–745. , , , , .
- 2007. Soybean root suberin: anatomical distribution, chemical composition, and relationship to partial resistance to Phytophthora sojae. Plant Physiology 144: 299–311. , , , , , .
- 1992. A probable lipid transfer protein gene is induced by NaCl in stems of tomato plants. Plant Molecular Biology 18: 749–757. , , .
- 2004. Tomato fruit cuticular waxes and their effects on transpiration barrier properties: functional characterization of a mutant deficient in a very-long-chain fatty acid β-ketoacyl-CoA synthase. Journal of Experimental Botany 55: 1401–1410. , , , , , , .
- 1986. Antisera- and monoclonal antibody-based immunoassay of plant hormones. In: Wang TL, ed. Immunology in plant science. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 27–58. , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Effects of sealing of stem scar on ripening rate and internal ethylene, oxygen and carbon dioxide concentrations of tomato fruits. Acta Horticulturae 485: 399–404. , .
- 2003. Identification of a strawberry gene encoding a non-specific lipid transfer protein that responds to ABA, wounding and cold stress. Journal of Experimental Botany 54: 1865–1877. , , , , .
- 1998. Comparative investigation of primary and tertiary endodermal cell walls isolated from the roots of five monocotyledonous species: chemical composition in relation to fine structure. Planta 206: 349–361. , .
- 2002. Salt and drought stress signal transduction in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 53: 247–273. .