The broad-leaf herbicide 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid turns rice into a living trap for a major insect pest and a parasitic wasp
Article first published online: 7 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 2, pages 498–510, April 2012
How to Cite
Xin, Z., Yu, Z., Erb, M., Turlings, T. C. J., Wang, B., Qi, J., Liu, S. and Lou, Y. (2012), The broad-leaf herbicide 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid turns rice into a living trap for a major insect pest and a parasitic wasp. New Phytologist, 194: 498–510. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04057.x
- Issue published online: 19 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 7 FEB 2012
- Received: 6 October 2011, Accepted: 22 December 2011
- 2002. MAP kinase signalling cascade in Arabidopsis innate immunity. Nature 415: 977–983. , , , , , , , , .
- 1987. Current protocols in molecular biology. New York, NY, USA: Wiley. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Priming for stress resistance: from the lab to the field. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 425–431. , .
- 2005. Signal crosstalk and induced resistance: straddling the line between cost and benefit. Annual Review of Phytopathology 43: 545–580. .
- 1976. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein–dye binding. Journal of Biochemistry 72: 248–254. .
- 2009. Local auxin production: a small contribution to a big field. Bioessays 31: 60–70. .
- 1996. Rice insect pests. Beijing, China: China Agricultural Press. , .
- 2002. β-Aminobutyric acid-induced resistance against plant pathogens. Plant Disease 86: 448–457. .
- 2007. The use of push–pull strategies in integrated pest management. Annual Review of Entomology 52: 375–400. , , .
- 2003. Modulation of CYP79 genes and glucosinolate profiles in Arabidopsis by defense signaling pathways. Plant Physiology 131: 298–308. , , , , , .
- 2001. Ontogeny constrains systemic protease inhibitor response in Nicotiana attenuata. Journal of Chemical Ecology 27: 547–568. , , , .
- 2010. A chemical-genetic approach for precise spatio-temporal control of cellular signaling. Molecular BioSystems 6: 1376–1380. , , , .
- 2008. The Arabidopsis GRAS protein SCL14 interacts with class II TGA transcription factors and is essential for the activation of stress-inducible promoters. Plant Cell 20: 3122–3135. , , , , .
- 2008. Chemical genetic dissection of brassinosteroid–ethylene interaction. Molecular Plant 1: 368–379. , , , , , .
- Heong KL, Hardy B, eds. 2009. Planthoppers: new threats to the sustainability of intensive rice production systems in Asia. Los Baños, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute.
- 1994. Efficient transformation of rice (Oryza sativa L.) mediated by Agrobacterium and sequence analysis of the boundaries of the T-DNA. Plant Journal 6: 271–282. , , , .
- 2009. Potential for the use of exogenous chemical elicitors in disease and insect pest management of conifer seedling production. The Open Forest Science Journal 2: 17–24. , , , , .
- 1963. Growth responses of larvae of the rice stem borer to rice plants treated with 2,4-D. Entomologia Experimental et Applicata 6: 257–262. , .
- 1987. GUS fusions: β-glucuronidase as a sensitive and versatile gene fusion marker in higher plants. The EMBO Journal 6: 3901–3907. , , .
- 1997. Induced responses to herbivory. Chicago, IL, USA: University of Chicago Press. , .
- 2007. Chemical genetics: elucidating biological systems with small-molecule compounds. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 127: 1577–1584. , .
- 2009. Linking development to defense: auxin in plant–pathogen interactions. Trends in Plant Science 14: 373–382. , .
- 2004. Silencing the jasmonate cascade: induced plant defense and insect populations. Science 305: 665–668. , , .
- 2010. Exploiting phytochemicals for developing a ‘push–pull’ crop protection strategy for cereal farmers in Africa. Journal of Experimental Botany 61: 4185–4196. , , , , .
- 2009. The synthetic elicitor 3,5-dichloroanthranilic acid induces NPR1-dependent and NPR1-independent mechanisms of disease resistance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 150: 333–347. , , , .
- 2004. Inverse correlation between jasmonic acid and salicylic acid during early wound response in rice. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 318: 734–738. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Recent advances in ethylene research. Journal of Experimental Botany 60: 3311–3336. , , .
- 1963. Physiological effects of 2,4-D on wheat and rice. Plant Physiology Communications 3: 14–20, 56 .
- 2007. Salicylic acid in plant defence – the players and protagonists. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 466–472. , .
- 1999. Role of infochemicals in host selection behavior of Anagrus nilaparvatae Pang et Wang. PhD Dissertation, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China. .
- 2003. Manduca sexta recognition and resistance among allopolyploid Nicotiana host plants. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 100: 14581–14586. , .
- 2005a. Exogenous application of jasmonic acid induces volatile emissions in rice and enhances parasitism of Nilaparvata lugens eggs by the parasitoid Anagrus nilaparvatae. Journal of Chemical Ecology 31: 1985–2002. , , , , .
- 2006. Differences in induced volatile emissions among rice varieties results in differential attraction and parasitism of Nilaparvata lugens eggs by the parasitoid Anagrus nilaparvatae in the field. Journal of Chemical Ecology 32: 2375–2387. , , , , , .
- 2005b. Attraction of the parasitoid Anagrus nilaparvatae Pang et Wang to rice volatiles induced by the rice brown planthopper Nilaparvata lugens (Stål). Journal of Chemical Ecology 31: 2359–2374. , , .
- 2011. An EAR-motif-containing ERF transcription factor affects herbivore-induced signaling, defense and resistance in rice. Plant Journal, 68: 583–596. , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Role of ethylene signaling in the production of rice volatiles induced by the rice brown planthopper Nilaparvata lugens. Chinese Science Bulletin 51: 2457–2465. , , , .
- 1993. Cotton plants transformed with a bacterial degradation gene are protected from accidental spray drift damage by the herbicide 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. Transgenic Research 2: 162–169. , , , .
- 2005. Major signaling pathways modulate Arabidopsis glucosinolate accumulation and response to both phloem-feeding and chewing insects. Plant Physiology 138: 1149–1162. , , , , .
- 2000. Interactions between weeds, arthropod pests, and their natural enemies in managed ecosystems. Weed Science 48: 94–158. , .
- 1976. Herbicide (2,4-D) increases insect and pathogen pests on corn. Science 193: 239–240. , .
- 1991. Jasmonates, new regulators of plant growth and development: many facts and few hypotheses on their actions. Botanica Acta 104: 446–454. .
- 2008. Induction of systematic resistance against Plasmopara viticola in grapevine by Trichoderma harzianum T39 and benzothiadiazole. Biology Control 47: 228–234. , , .
- 2004. NPR1: the spider in the web of induced resistance signaling pathways. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 456–464. , .
- 2008. Arabidopsis mitogen-activated protein kinase kinases MKK1 and MKK2 have overlapping functions in defense signaling mediated by MEKK1, MPK4, and MKS1. Plant Physiology 148: 212–222. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010. Mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling in plants. Annual Review of Plant Biology 61: 621–649. , , .
- 2004. Coronalon: a powerful tool in plant stress physiology. FEBS Letters 563: 17–22. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Tobacco MAP kinase: a possible mediator in wound signal transduction pathways. Science 270: 1988–1992. , , , , , .
- 2003. The salicylic acid loop in plant defense. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 6: 365–371. .
- 2008. Induced plant defenses in the natural environment: Nicotiana attenuata WRKY3 and WRKY6 coordinate responses to herbivory. Plant Cell 20: 1984–2000. , , , .
- 2003. NPR1 modulates cross-talk between salicylate- and jasmonate-dependent defense pathways through a novel function in the cytosol. Plant Cell 15: 760–770. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Oocyte maturation in Xenopus laevis is blocked by the hormonal herbicide, 2,4-dichlorophenoxy acetic acid. Molecular Reproduction and Development 67: 233–242. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Environmental genomics: mechanistic insights into toxicity of and resistance to the herbicide 2,4-D. Trends in Biotechnology 25: 363–370. , , .
- 2002. Antagonism between jasmonate- and salicylate-mediated induced plant resistance: effects of concentration and timing of elicitors on defense-related proteins, herbivore, and pathogen performance in tomato. Journal of Chemical Ecology 28: 1143–1171. , , .
- 2002. Probing the diversity of the Arabidopsis glutathione S-transferase gene family. Plant Molecular Biology 49: 515–532. , , , .
- 2007. The emerging field of chemical genetics: potential applications for pesticide discovery. Pest Management Science 63: 1165–1171. .
- 2005. An auxin-responsive 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylate synthase is responsible for differential ethylene production in gravistimulated Antirrhinum majus L. flower stems. Planta 220: 403–413. , , , , , , .
- 2010. Robust crop resistance to broadleaf and grass herbicides provided by aryloxyalkanoate dioxygenase transgenes. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 107: 20240–20245. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Herbivory rapidly activates MAPK signaling in attacked and unattacked leaf regions but not between leaves of Nicotiana attenuata. Plant Cell 19: 1096–1122. , , , .
- 2008. Preference and performance of Anagrus nilaparvatae (Hymenoptera: Mymaridae): effect of infestation duration and density by Nilaparvata lugens (Homoptera: Delphacidae). Environmental Entomology 37: 737–754. , , , , , .
- 1976. Laboratory manual for physiological studies of rice. Los Baños, Philippines: International Rice Research Institute. , , , .
- 2008. Molecular and genomic basis of volatile-mediated indirect defense against insects in rice. Plant Journal 55: 491–503. , , , , , .
- 2001. MAPK cascades in plant defense signaling. Trends in Plant Science 6: 520–527. , .
- 2009. Silencing OsHI-LOX makes rice more susceptible to chewing herbivores, but enhances resistance to a phloem feeder. Plant Journal 60: 638–648. , , , , , , .