These authors contributed equally to this work.
Plant γH2AX foci are required for proper DNA DSB repair responses and colocalize with E2F factors
Version of Record online: 16 FEB 2012
© 2012 INRA. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 2, pages 353–363, April 2012
How to Cite
Lang, J., Smetana, O., Sanchez-Calderon, L., Lincker, F., Genestier, J., Schmit, A.-C., Houlné, G. and Chabouté, M.-E. (2012), Plant γH2AX foci are required for proper DNA DSB repair responses and colocalize with E2F factors. New Phytologist, 194: 353–363. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04062.x
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 16 FEB 2012
- Received: 13 September 2011, Accepted: 22 December 2011
- 2010. Distinct roles of the ATR kinase and the Mre11-Rad50-Nbs1 complex in the maintenance of chromosomal stability in Arabidopsis. The Plant Cell 22: 3020–3033. , , , , , .
- 2004. The cellular response to general and programmed DNA double strand breaks. DNA Repair (Amsterdam) 3: 781–796. , .
- 2002. Increased ionizing radiation sensitivity and genomic instability in the absence of histone H2AX. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 99: 8173–8178. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. ATM phosphorylates histone H2AX in response to DNA double-strand breaks. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 42462–42467. , , , , .
- 2003a. H2AX haploinsufficiency modifies genomic stability and tumor susceptibility. Cell 114: 371–383. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003b. Histone H2AX phosphorylation is dispensable for the initial recognition of DNA breaks. Nature Cell Biology 5: 675–679. , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. S phase and meristem-specific expression of the tobacco RNR1b gene is mediated by an E2F element located in the 5′ leader sequence. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 17845–17851. , , .
- 2000. Cell cycle regulation of the tobacco ribonucleotide reductase small subunit gene is mediated by E2F-like elements. The Plant Cell 12: 1987–2000. , , , , .
- 2011. E2F1 promotes the recruitment of DNA repair factors to sites of DNA double-strand breaks. Cell Cycle 10: 1–8. , , , , , , .
- 2003. The transcriptional response of Arabidopsis to genotoxic stress – a high-density colony array study (HDCA). The Plant Journal 35: 771–786. , , , , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. The Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2004. The comet assay for DNA damage and repair: principles, applications, and limitations. Molecular Biotechnology 26: 249–261. .
- 2006. ATR and ATM play both distinct and additive roles in response to ionization radiation. The Plant Journal 48: 947–961. , , , , .
- 2004. ATR regulates a G2-phase cell-cycle checkpoint in Arabidopsis thaliana. The Plant Cell 16: 1091–1104. , , .
- 2006. Pathways that suppress programmed DNA breaks from progressing to chromosomal breaks and translocations. DNA Repair 5: 1030–1041. , , .
- 2005. Ionizing radiation-dependent gamma-H2AX focus formation requires ataxia telangiectasia mutated and ataxia telangiectasia mutated and Rad3-related. Molecular Biology of the Cell 16: 2566–2576. , , , .
- 2003. At ATM is essential for meiosis and the somatic response to DNA damage in plants. The Plant Cell 15: 119–132. , , , , , .
- 2007. DNA damage-dependent acetylation and ubiquitination of H2AX enhances chromatin dynamics. Molecular and Cellular Biology 27: 7028–7040. , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The anatomy and cell cycle evolution of DNA damage signaling and repair foci. Cell Cycle 9: 444–445. .
- 2002. GATEWAY vectors for Agrobacterium-mediated plant transformation. Trends in Plant Science 7: 193–195. , , .
- 2008. Gamma-H2AX in recognition and signaling of DNA double-strand breaks in the context of chromatin. Nucleic Acids Research 36: 5678–5694. , , , .
- 2002. NBS1 localizes to gamma-H2AX foci through interaction with the FHA/BRCT domain. Current Biology 12: 1846–1851. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Orchestration of the DNA-damage response by the RNF8 ubiquitin ligase. Science 318: 1637–1640. , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Compensation and specificity of function within the E2F family. Oncogene 26: 321–327. , , , .
- 2004. UV-C response of the ribonucleotide reductase large subunit involves both E2F-mediated gene transcriptional regulation and protein subcellular relocalization in tobacco cells. Nucleic Acids Research 32: 1430–1438. , , .
- 2008. Plant E2F factors in cell cycle development and DNA damage response. In: Yoshida K, ed. Control of cellular physiology by transcription factors E2F. Kerala, India: Research Signpost, 17–31. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Choreography of the DNA damage response: spatiotemporal relationships among checkpoint and repair proteins. Cell 118: 699–713. , , , .
- 2003. Regulation of E2F1 by BRCT domain-containing protein TopBP1. Molecular and Cellular Biology 23: 3287–3304. , , , .
- 2010. gammaH2AX foci analysis for monitoring DNA double-strand break repair: strengths, limitations and optimization. Cell Cycle 9: 662–669. , , , , , , , .
- 2002. The E2F family of transcription factors from Arabidopsis thaliana. Novel and conserved components of the retinoblastoma/E2F pathway in plants. Journal of Biological Chemistry 277: 9911–9919. , , , , , , .
- 2010. The complexity of phosphorylated H2AX foci formation and DNA repair assembly at DNA double-strand breaks. Cell Cycle 9: 389–397. , , , .
- 2006. DNA damage checkpoints in mammals. Mutagenesis 21: 3–9. , .
- 2010. Differential requirement for H2AX and 53BP1 in organismal development and genome maintenance in the absence of poly(ADP)ribosyl polymerase 1. Molecular and Cellular Biology 30: 2341–2352. , , , , , , .
- 2004. In vivo investigation of the transcription, processing, endonucleolytic activity, and functional relevance of the spatial distribution of a plant miRNA. Genes and Development 18: 2237–2242. , , , , .
- 2010. Structure and function of histone H2AX. Subcellular Biochemistry 50: 55–78. , .
- 1999. Regulation of biosynthesis and cellular localization of Sp32 annexins in tobacco BY2 cells. Plant Molecular Biology 39: 361–372. , , , , .
- 2007. ATM-mediated transcriptional and developmental responses to gamma-rays in Arabidopsis. PLoS ONE 2: e430. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Ribonucleotide reductase regulation in response to genotoxic stress in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 151: 461–471. , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. Megabase chromatin domains involved in DNA double-strand breaks in vivo. Journal of Cell Biology 146: 905–916. , , , .
- 1999. Inhibition of ATM and ATR kinase activities by the radiosensitizing agent, caffeine. Cancer Reseach 59: 4375–4382. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Isolation and characterization of the E2F-like gene in plants. FEBS Letters 460: 117–122. , , , , , .
- 2009. A distinct H2A.X isoform is enriched in Xenopus laevis eggs and early embryos and is phosphorylated in the absence of a checkpoint. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 749–754. , , , , , .
- 2004. The emerging role of E2F-1 in the DNA damage response and checkpoint control. DNA Repair 3: 1071–1079. , .
- 2003. MDC1 is a mediator of the mammalian DNA damage checkpoint. Nature 421: 961–966. , , , , .
- 2005. MDC1 directly binds phosphorylated histone H2AX to regulate cellular responses to DNA double-strand breaks. Cell 123: 1213–1226. , , , , , .
- 2008. The many faces of ubiquitinated histone H2A: insights from the DUBs. Cell Division 3: 8. , , , , .
- 2006. Arabidopsis ribonucleotide reductases are critical for cell cycle progression, DNA damage repair, and plant development. The Plant Cell 18: 350–365. , .
- 2001. Histone H2AX is phosphorylated in an ATR-dependent manner in response to replication stress. Journal of Biological Chemistry 276: 47759–47762. , .
- 2007. NBS1 is involved in DNA repair and plays a synergistic role with ATM in mediating meiotic homologous recombination in plants. The Plant Journal 52: 41–52. , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Suppressor of gamma response 1 (SOG1) encodes a putative transcription factor governing multiple responses to DNA damage. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 106: 12843–12848. , , , .