Deletion of MP/ARF5 domains III and IV reveals a requirement for Aux/IAA regulation in Arabidopsis leaf vascular patterning
Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. New Phytologist © 2012 New Phytologist Trust
Volume 194, Issue 2, pages 391–401, April 2012
How to Cite
Krogan, N. T., Ckurshumova, W., Marcos, D., Caragea, A. E. and Berleth, T. (2012), Deletion of MP/ARF5 domains III and IV reveals a requirement for Aux/IAA regulation in Arabidopsis leaf vascular patterning. New Phytologist, 194: 391–401. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04064.x
- Issue online: 19 MAR 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2012
- Received: 2 November 2011, Accepted: 24 December 2011
- 1994. Early auxin-induced genes encode short-lived nuclear proteins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 91: 326–330. , , .
- 1995. The induction of vascular tissues by auxin and cytokinin. In: Davies PJ, ed. Plant hormones: physiology, biochemistry and molecular biology. Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 531–546. .
- 1995. The expression of the Athb-8 homeobox gene is restricted to provascular cells in Arabidopsis thaliana. Development 121: 4171–4182. , , , , , .
- 2003. Local, efflux-dependent auxin gradients as a common module for plant organ formation. Cell 115: 591–602. , , , , , , .
- 1993. The role of the MONOPTEROS gene in organising the basal body region of the Arabidopsis embryo. Development 118: 575–587. , .
- 2007. Towards the systems biology of auxin-transport mediated patterning. Trends in Plant Science 12: 151–158. , , .
- 2009. Mechanism of auxin-regulated gene expression in plants. Annual Review of Genetics 43: 265–285. , .
- 1998. Floral dip: a simplified method for Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 16: 735–743. , .
- 2000. Random GFP::cDNA fusions enable visualization of subcellular structures in cells of Arabidopsis at a high frequency. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 97: 3718–3723. , , , .
- 2004. Plant hormones: biosynthesis, signal transduction, action! Dordrecht, the Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. .
- 2009. Regulation of preprocambial cell state acquisition by auxin signaling in Arabidopsis leaves. Development 36: 3235–3246. , , .
- 2000. Preparation of transcriptionally active nuclei from etiolated Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell Reports 19: 504–510. , .
- 2003. Efflux-dependent auxin gradients establish the apical–basal axis of Arabidopsis. Nature 426: 147–153. , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Auxin response factors. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 10: 453–460. , .
- 1999. The auxin-insensitive bodenlos mutation affects primary root formation and apical–basal patterning in the Arabidopsis embryo. Development 126: 1387–1395. , , .
- 1998. The Arabidopsis gene MONOPTEROS encodes a transcription factor mediating embryo axis formation and vascular development. EMBO Journal 17: 1405–1411. , .
- 2004. Overlapping and non-redundant functions of the Arabidopsis auxin response factors MONOPTEROS and NONPHOTOTROPIC HYPOCOTYL 4. Development 131: 1089–1100. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. Embryonic patterning in Arabidopsis thaliana. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 23: 207–236. , , .
- 2007. The anatomy of auxin perception. Bioessays 29: 953–956. .
- 2005. Plant development: auxin in loops. Current Biology 15: 208–210. , .
- 1997. Protein–protein interactions among the Aux/IAA proteins. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 94: 11786–11791. , , .
- 2011. Auxin triggers a genetic switch. Nature Cell Biology 13: 611–615. , , , , .
- 2006. Dynamic integration of auxin transport and signaling. Current Biology 6: 424–433. .
- 2003. Auxin signaling in Arabidopsis leaf vascular development. Plant Physiology 131: 1327–1339. , , .
- 1999. Responses of plant vascular systems to auxin transport inhibition. Development 126: 2979–2991. , , .
- 1991. Requirement of the auxin polar transport system in early stages of Arabidopsis floral bud formation. Plant Cell 3: 677–684. , , , , .
- 2006. Auxin signaling. Journal of Cell Science 119: 1199–1202. , .
- 2009. Auxin transport routes in plant development. Development 136: 2675–2688. , .
- 2009. A gain-of-function mutation in IAA18 alters Arabidopsis embryonic apical patterning. Development 136: 1509–1517. , , , .
- 1996. Studies on the role of the Arabidopsis gene mp in vascular development and plant cell axialization. Planta 200: 229–237. , , , , .
- 2008. Vein patterning in growing leaves: axes and polarities. Current Opinion in Genetics and Development 18: 348–353. .
- 2008. Overexpression of the non-canonical Aux/IAA genes causes auxin-related aberrant phenotypes in Arabidopsis. Physiologia Plantarum 133: 397–405. , .
- 2006. Canalization of auxin flow by Aux/IAA-ARF-dependent feedback regulation of PIN polarity. Genes and Development 20: 2902–2911. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Stage-specific markers define early steps of procambium development in Arabidopsis leaves and correlate termination of vein formation with mesophyll differentiation. Development 131: 3445–3455. , , .
- 2010. Vascular pattern formation in plants. Current Topics in Developmental Biology 91: 221–265. , .
- 2006. Control of leaf vascular patterning by polar auxin transport. Genes and Development 20: 1015–1027. , , , .
- 2004. Pattern formation in the vascular system of monocot and dicot plant species. New Phytologist 164: 209–242. , .
- 2010. MONOPTEROS controls embryonic root initiation by regulating a mobile transcription factor. Nature 464: 913–916. , , , , , , , , .
- 2007. The Arabidopsis transcription factor MYB77 modulates auxin signal transduction. Plant Cell 19: 2440–2453. , , , , , , .
- 1999. Auxin is required for leaf vein pattern in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology 121: 1179–1190. .
- 2004. MASSUGU2 encodes Aux/IAA19, an auxin-regulated protein that functions together with the transcriptional activator NPH4/ARF7 to regulate differential growth responses of hypocotyl and formation of lateral roots in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Cell 16: 379–393. , , , , , , , .
- 2003. The roles of auxin response factor domains in auxin-responsive transcription. Plant Cell 15: 533–543. , , .
- 2004. Aux/IAA proteins contain a potent transcriptional repression domain. Plant Cell 16: 533–543. , , .
- 2001. AUX/IAA proteins are active repressors, and their stability and activity are modulated by auxin. Plant Cell 13: 2809–2822. , , , .
- 2008. Domain II mutations in CRANE/IAA18 suppress lateral root formation and affect shoot development in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant and Cell Physiology 49: 1025–1038. , , , , .
- 1997a. ARF1, a transcription factor that binds to auxin response elements. Science 276: 1865–1868. , , .
- 1999. Activation and repression of transcription by auxin-response factors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, USA 96: 5844–5849. , , .
- 1997b. Aux/IAA proteins repress expression of reporter genes containing natural and highly active synthetic auxin response elements. Plant Cell 9: 1963–1971. , , , .
- 2007. AMP1 and MP antagonistically regulate embryo and meristem development in Arabidopsis. Development 134: 2561–2567. , , , .
- 2007. Molecular and cellular aspects of auxin-transport-mediated development. Trends in Plant Science 12: 160–168. , , , .
- 2005. Developmental specificity of auxin response by pairs of ARF and Aux/IAA transcriptional regulators. EMBO Journal 24: 1874–1885. , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Funneling auxin action: specificity in signal transduction. Current Opinion in Plant Biology 7: 687–693. , .
- 2007. Dynamics of MONOPTEROS and PIN-FORMED1 expression during leaf vein pattern formation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Journal 49: 387–398. , , , .
- 2005. Auxin: regulation, action and interaction. Annals of Botany 95: 707–735. , .